Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

I've read the entire 51 pages posted,And first up I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to all involved at TAMIYA for making the re re of the Scorcher a reality. :)

I see that some are disappointed with the new shell...Keep in mind Tamiya have never said they were doing replicas of any of their previous re re kits,And the shell on this re re is no surprise to me...I too would have prefered an exact replica of the original SS.But I'm still stoked...FULLY STOKED! :D I'm gettin two.

On the upside,As mentioned previously...The original SS will still hold it's classic title,And will remain :- THE HOLY GRAIL... :D

It's better this way,As it still remains that SPECIAL ride,That we all love.

I reckon this kit,The Scorcher re re,Will break records,And be TAMIYAS' biggest selling R/C kit of all time. ;)

Bring on the Ranger and the Super Champ. :D

Regards...

P.S. Thanks again TAMIYA for the new ball diff...YOU GUYS ROCK!

Hi guys.

OK pictures and prices (note, quickly done, but the pictures should speak for themselves, very nice lustrous chrome with lacquer to make them durable)

Box Art Scorcher Wheels (fronts shown, rears of course available as a set $49.95 or £29.95 including shipping, TC discount and Paypal)

DSC_0183.jpg

SRB Rear Bumper / Cage ($39.95 or £24.95 including shipping, TC discount and Paypal)

DSC_0180.jpg

SRB Mechanism Box / Radio Crate ($49.95 or £29.95 including shipping, TC discount and Paypal)

DSC_0179.jpg

SRB Gear and Motor Covers / A Parts ($39.95 or £24.95 including shipping, TC discount and Paypal)

DSC_0181.jpg

All items are or will be available on eBay, but more expensive. Please note, with wheel sets (I also have gold for the Scorcher and chrome Buggy Champs) they are front and back plated and all parts done, a total of 12 parts, not just the covers. When assembled, you can't see any plastic, white or grey. Just shiny chrome. No hardware or tyres included.

....Personally I like the DT-02 version better and likely a better performer too.....

Put the thread down and walk away...

No one, not even the most hardened fan of the old SS/RR/SRB clan would ever Ever EVER say the words performance and sand scorcher in the same scentence.

This re-re is lost on you please save your money.

Box Art Scorcher Wheels (fronts shown, rears of course available as a set $49.95 or £29.95 including shipping, TC discount and Paypal)

DSC_0183.jpg

These look really good. You've test-assembled a set I assume?

I only ask because the ones I had chromed a while ago don't fit together properly now :D

Put the thread down and walk away...

No one, not even the most hardened fan of the old SS/RR/SRB clan would ever Ever EVER say the words performance and sand scorcher in the same scentence.

This re-re is lost on you please save your money.

You really need to get off your high horse. It's not lost on me, I totally understand the point of the rere I just think it's a waste of money for ME just to get scale looking vehicle that can't do much at the track. I guess if you like driving at 15mph over bumps with scale looks with your pogo stick shocks then it's for you. For me I like taking it to the track and go fast and doing big jumps.

All test fitted :-) The chrome doesn't take up much space, it is similar thickness to paint.

Thanks for the interest!

Paul.

not sure if it will have changed on the 2010 Scorcher, but on the old one, the Scorcher body post fitted over the Rough Rider one, so you should hopefully only need the body :D

Just had a look at both the manuals ... they both use the same front bodypost ... cheers for the heads-up. Do not think Tamiya will do anything differently on the 2010 sand scorcher. Makes no financial sense to make a different post for the sand scorcher.

In my haste to show off, I forget the receiver box, which is tucked up nicely inside the mechanise box. It is included in the price.

Thank you :-)

Paul.

I think all the complaining about the re-re body detailing is a little pedantic - after all, the whole car is a re-release... did anyone complain about the upgrades to the Buggy Champ chassis and suspension - those bits aren't going to be 'original Scorcher' either of course, so even if the bodyshell were 100% original, it still wouldn't be an exact replica of the 80's car?

Fundamentally though, it's still made by Tamiya, it's still an approximation of a real car (that in turn was a kit-car based on VW components)... If you had/have one of the originals for the 80's you were/are lucky... just as now you can have an 'original' from the Noughties? Lets face it, if Tamiya had never put curved front wheel arches on the original mould, that topic wouldn't even be being discussed!

I've always wanted a Baja Bug style radio-control car (that I wasn't afraid to use!), so last year started building a hybrid using a Frog chassis and Blitzer shell... of course now this SRB based kit has been announced, for anyone similarly inclined, it's going to make achieving that reality a whole lot easier!

No one wanted an EXACT replica of the original!! People didnt complain about the buggy champ chassis parts being different because everyone pretty much accepted that they wouldnt have the original molds to make the parts from! also a lot of parts were strengthened/improved.. and because they dont fundamentally alter the LOOKS of the car, and when you're buying an SRB, lets face it, looks are THE thing! the buggy champ bodyset is identical other than the stickers and the words molded into the underside..

you will find 99.9999% of owners of modded shell sand scorchers used monster/blitzer shells for them, or damaged original scorcher shells.. not many people cut those rounded arches off an original shell! honestly unless you've seen one on the flesh, you probably wont appreciate how much FATTER the sand scorcher shell is. it looks frickin awesome! i have an original shell that is severely damaged, and i'm probably gonna fix it up for the shelf, even though it's so stuffed it should be binned.. why? because it looks so much better than the blitzer shell on my sand scorcher runner...

and honestly i think a lot of the modded blitzer/scorcher owners would have killed for an original style shell they could go bashing with.. i know i would..

ps have you seen what an original empi baja kit actually looks like? have a squiz at the real life sand scorcher thread in the vintage section, you'll see it looks almost identical to the original scorcher.. not the cut up blitzer shell!

Its'a funny thing. Five years ago I was selling an almost NIB Sand Scorcher body and nobody wanted it. I had to sell it cheap as there wasn't interest. Nowadays people would kill for that............. ah! modelers LOL LOL

No one wanted an EXACT replica of the original!!

Except me :D . I have consistently stated that I wanted exact copies of the originals to be re-re'd, for ALL releases, since the re-re Top Force came out. That's why Top Force is my favourite re-re so far.

I may well be in a minority. I don't care. I only know what I like, and that's originality.

There is also a place for modified Blitzer shelled ones that can perform well, which is what Tamiya could also make as a kit (like Joe's wonderful creations).

My point is that I want EITHER THE ORIGINAL or an almost wholly new car.

The WORST thing that they could have done IMHO is exactly what they have done. Given us a Blitzer Beetle and tried to call it a Sand Scorcher.

Just my 2p worth...

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Lets face it, the SRB Chassis is WAY outdated now, it will NOT perform at the track, and if you try to jump it moderately high, the front suspension WILL pop apart, i'm speaking from experience.

Hilux,Mounty,Bruiser,Blazer,XLT,Rough Rider, Scorcher among others, are regarded highly in my opinion because of their scale likeness.

Alistair, i see what your saying, but the Scorcher is hardly a cheap re-re tbh, it's one of ( if not the? ) most expensive yet. The price would be bumped up FURTHER if they had to tool a new mold to re-create the Sand Scorcher body, instead of giving us the Blitzer one.

Personally i'm not too bothered about the body, i think it's great, cheaper replacement parts for everone that wants to use their models as they should be used!

And anyway, should help hold the prices of the original up eh :D

Mike.

I can't wait for this to come. I'll be buying one as soon as I can. Really don't care about the shell, understand those who do, but still think you're bonkers. :D

But has anyone stopped to think that it's even .001% possible that Tamiya put a MB/BB shell on for the show, and maybe they simply didn't have a "real" SS shell to put on the car? Far fetched, but not impossible, IMO.

The WORST thing that they could have done IMHO is exactly what they have done. Given us a Blitzer Beetle and tried to call it a Sand Scorcher.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're not trying to call it a Sand Scorcher are they? I thought they were calling it something different like they did with renaming the Rough Rider the Buggy Champ?

The other good thing to come out of this release is that it makes a re-release of the Monster Beetle all the more likely. Hopefully this time next year or sooner, fingers crossed. I want a new one to build so badly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're not trying to call it a Sand Scorcher are they? I thought they were calling it something different like they did with renaming the Rough Rider the Buggy Champ?

The other good thing to come out of this release is that it makes a re-release of the Monster Beetle all the more likely. Hopefully this time next year or sooner, fingers crossed. I want a new one to build so badly.

Yeah, they're calling it the Sand Scorcher.

now that is a great comparision...to bad they smashed the rear end down for the new one :D

they should retake that pic.

Considering the first thing you really should do with an original is try and soften the torsion bars or fit down stops to get the tyre tread on the ground instead of running on the corner, and to help keep it on it's wheels when cornering, using softer bars on the new one is a good thing if you plan on running it.

Except me ;) . I have consistently stated that I wanted exact copies of the originals to be re-re'd, for ALL releases, since the re-re Top Force came out. That's why Top Force is my favourite re-re so far.

I may well be in a minority. I don't care. I only know what I like, and that's originality.

My point is that I want EITHER THE ORIGINAL or an almost wholly new car.

Yet the rerelease black chassis and altered front suspension/radio box/metal castings/rear cage are all okay? Considering there are relatively few parts on the Buggy Champ chassis that are identical to the original that technically makes the new Scorcher a wholly new car. ;):lol:

If you want it to be original then buy an original, perfect built examples are selling for the same price the rerelease will be in the UK.

Surely the WORST thing that they could have done is stop rereleasing cars with the Boomerang. :D

I'm not on here much these days so haven't followed the thread for a week or so...

Just found out about the body shell being a monster beetle one...

And the first thing that comes into my head is - yes, the original is still special :D

So i'll be treasuring my restored SS even more.

And... I no longer feel like a bought the "wrong one" when I bought the buggy champ re re earlier in the year.

I'm not on here much these days so haven't followed the thread for a week or so...

Just found out about the body shell being a monster beetle one...

And the first thing that comes into my head is - yes, the original is still special :D

So i'll be treasuring my restored SS even more.

And... I no longer feel like a bought the "wrong one" when I bought the buggy champ re re earlier in the year.

Soon you have to change your name to mysandscorcherwithmonsterbeetlebodyisbroken :D;):lol:;)

Badboy

Yet the rerelease black chassis and altered front suspension/radio box/metal castings/rear cage are all okay? Considering there are relatively few parts on the Buggy Champ chassis that are identical to the original that technically makes the new Scorcher a wholly new car. :D:lol:

If you want it to be original then buy an original, perfect built examples are selling for the same price the rerelease will be in the UK.

Surely the WORST thing that they could have done is stop rereleasing cars with the Boomerang. ;)

I didn't care about the chassis on BC or SS2010 because I already have a load of chassis parts from the RR and SS1979 and I only wanted the SS body box set (before I knew it had been changed) and the wheels and tyres and maybe to get the empty kit box (and inserts?) as a spare part from Tamiya USA via a US friend or from Fusion or something. So it's the body I was solely interested in, all along.

For example a used original body is on Ebay right now and guess what it's fetching... 131 GBP :D with 22 bids... So it seems obvious to me that some people do care about the original wing shape and are willing to pay extra for it ;)

Sorry Terry but I can't possibly afford or justify to get an original for 270 GBP I just am not that well off. Good luck to those who can afford it, I wish you well.

I was thinking more like 60 quid at the very most for the original body!! As a one off purchase at Xmas LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

For example a used original body is on Ebay right now and guess what it's fetching... 131 GBP :D with 22 bids... So it seems obvious to me that some people do care about the original wing shape and are willing to pay extra for it ;)

Alistair G.

Wow, I'm ecstatic that I got mine for £65...it's in much better condition than that one. Looks like I just managed to beat the price hike. :lol: