Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

I can certainly appreciate those people wanting to restore original vehicles and were hoping to use a re-re bodykit like Alistair suggests... so in all seriousness, why doesn't someone make replica front wings (and the nose cone if you are being really pedantic) that could be grafted on for people restoring these older kits? - After all, it's done with the door handles/mirrors/stingers etc already...

Is that not realistic?

xxx

I can certainly appreciate those people wanting to restore original vehicles and were hoping to use a re-re bodykit like Alistair suggests... so in all seriousness, why doesn't someone make replica front wings (and the nose cone if you are being really pedantic) that could be grafted on for people restoring these older kits? - After all, it's done with the door handles/mirrors/stingers etc already...

Is that not realistic?

xxx

That seems a great idea to be honest! Front and rear wing kits..

That seems a great idea to be honest! Front and rear wing kits..

A very good idea! They could be made in resin with extra lipped edges that could easily be bonded to a 2010 scorcher shell. Fairly easy to produce me thinks... :D

The difficulty with the add on wing idea would be of course the attaching them. They have to be strong enough attached to be able to withstand a roll over! There is no known way of doing this I guess?

Best,

ARG

I can't help but think that if we harnessed all the energy and time spent considering all these options, everyone on Tamiyaclub.com could afford to buy a new boxed original Scorcher set from the 80s. Jeez, it isn't so expensive you would have to sell a kidney.

Ohh, really? That much? Oh, OK then, but at least you have two! (Kidneys that is)

Paul.

Alistair, I guess if they're made from GRP or FRP then it would be difficult to attach them strong enough to withstand a rollover, but then again, you roll an original shell, i bet the arches wouldn't fair too well either.

I can't help but think that if we harnessed all the energy and time spent considering all these options, everyone on Tamiyaclub.com could afford to buy a new boxed original Scorcher set from the 80s. Jeez, it isn't so expensive you would have to sell a kidney.

Ohh, really? That much? Oh, OK then, but at least you have two! (Kidneys that is)

Paul.

Paul I usually appreciate your enthusiasm and your valuable input, but this time I feel your remarks are in poor taste. I know very well how easy you find it to buy these models (I am trying to be as tactful as possible) but you must respect that others on here are in much the same financial position as me and worse and this sounds like elitism of the worst sort.

To those that can afford 130 quid to blow on a very good condition shell, good luck. To those that can afford 270 GBP on a NIB "SS2010" kit good luck.

But remember that there are also those of us who mainly care about the original and have no or little money that they can afford to spend on such a thing and I don't like the "go buy the full price kit and shut up and stop complaining" attitude.

Just my opinions.

Regards,

ARG

The comment was meant very much 'tongue in cheek' and far from your interpretation was commenting on the crazy high prices of these original items (rather than showing off about the ability to afford them). I am sorry you didn't understand that.

That being said, just wanting something isn't enough, you have to be able to afford it. There are lots of wants in this world and they all cost money. You have followed the forums for years and although there is speculation and legend about many things, one of the long standing legends/rumours, call it what you will, is that the original mouldings were adapted to make the Monster Beetle bodyshell. Many years later, we now want that shell modified back again to make the Sand Scorcher, but it just isn't practical. I have also heard it stated (well it was me that said it, amongst others) that many of the original metal mouldings were no longer available, this has also proved to be true in the fact that that much of the new metal is quite different from the old metal. In fact the cars share few truly identical parts. I think what Tamiya are trying to do is actually admirable. Without slamming the door and disrespecting those who put them where they are now and making an identical kit, they have provided an opportunity for the spirit to live on, without making those who have either invested a lot of money, or time (or both) in sourcing all the parts for an original and lovingly restoring it, only to have it re issued in identical form for anyone to purchase from a local toy store.

This re issue is an opportunity to add to the number of Scorchers on the planet and although they won't be originals, they will allow people to purchase spares that are out of reach for most people. This is admirable. Those who have spent a lifetime collecting, restoring and sourcing rare parts don't feel slapped inthe face by a manufacturer just trying to make a profit. Remarkably, if recent eBay prices are anything to go by, this re issue has actually strengthened the price for some original parts. Why shouldn't something rare and desirable be expensive, I would ask, for if it were commonplace, it would not be such a thing of desire. It is fair enough to want nice rare things to be affordable, but it just isn't realistic.

Part of the reason for my joke was the (Czech humour) about time wasted complaining, which could be well spent earning money to buy the things we want. I appreciate you didn't understand it, but perhaps this email goes some way to explaining my comment and my feelings about the Sand Scorcher re issue.

Paul.

The comment was meant very much 'tongue in cheek'

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it. Whatever you goal is in life, if you apply yourself you can do it. And I would say compared to many goals buying an original SS shell is one of those things which can be achieved by people of modest means. Don't go out for a month, take lunch to work, clean your house windows yourself, eat economy food, get a part-time job,.............or yes even sell a kidney :D

Fully Agree with last couple of posts... if you want an original Sand Scorcher badly enough you'll do what is necessary to get one... explaining your dissatisfaction of Tamiya's re-release repeatedly won't get you any closer to having an original Sand Scorcher...

cheers

James

BeetleLover

Fast forward 20 - 30 years from now....a new TC member will write that 20 years ago I wish I had the funds to buy the re-re Sand Scorcher. Now I have a good paying job or successful business, I can finally own one. Is still pricey. Just like some TC member, including myself, indicated that 20 or 30 years ago just couldn't affort the 3 spds Tamiya put out, now finally got one. Tamiya put out affortable kits but at the same time expensive kits as well just to attract new comers and keep existing customer happy. I look forward to re-release and hope the one I want will eventually be re-release again without too much change.

Hi to all

I'm just too excited that Tamiya is bringing back the Sand Scorcher name and looks. Can't complain much since the only SRB that I have is Buggy Champ 2009. It's already too good to have a new kit at a reasonable price. The almost impossible kit is coming our way...

Fully Agree with last couple of posts... if you want an original Sand Scorcher badly enough you'll do what is necessary to get one... explaining your dissatisfaction of Tamiya's re-release repeatedly won't get you any closer to having an original Sand Scorcher...

cheers

James

BeetleLover

I agree also...I have purchased a few used original Sand Scorchers shells and chassis at good prices (cheapest SS shell $AUD60) over the past 6 months, in various conditions and without breaking the bank. Some need work and others sit well on the shelf without work. At least i have a piece of Tamiya history I can afford and look at everyday on the shelf. I refuse to spend USD$3000 for a '79 Sand Scorcher NIB (My Girlfriend and significant others would kill me), id rather use that money as a deposit for an investment property or termed deposit. Better return for my money in the long run!! I am looking forward to the SS2010 to build not to invest.

As far as I'm concerned these car were designed to be built and run. Agonizing over the shape of some of the plastic parts is a hobby unto itself and not one that Tamiya are duty bound to support.

I'm not sure if it has been brought to anyones attention and I lost interest in the thread some time ago due to the non focus of the product but Tamiya is releasing a Tamiya Ball Diff & T- Shirt :D.

http://tamiyablog.com/

Discuss.

post-8889-1259507315_thumb.jpg

post-8889-1259507322_thumb.jpg

Great news about the diff. But theres a couple others now that are making diffs also. but it will be nice to get them under 50 bucks USD. I also love the idea of being able to get new clear windsheilds for my originals and the little chromed mirrors. Just wish the new bodies had the chrome detachable door handles.

I didn't care about the chassis on BC or SS2010

So it's the body I was solely interested in, all along.

I know your whole point is that you aren't interested in the rerelease at all, and that you certainly won't be buying one anyway except that it might be a cheap source of bodies for you. That's fine, but most people are happy to have a runner that doesn't need a search of ebay for parts whenever they break something rather than worrying about the arches.

Strangely enough, I've been told that some fans of full size Bajas are happier with the rerelease body as the wings are more realistic :rolleyes:

Considering how pedantic you are about your restorations I don't know why you would use a rerelease shell even if the wings were the same as it will be stamped '2009' inside the body. I know I would still go to the effort to use an original on my original Scorchers even if the rerelease body was identical as I would feel I have cheated in the restoration, and I'm definitely someone without the money to spend on one.

For example a used original body is on Ebay right now and guess what it's fetching... 131 GBP with 22 bids... So it seems obvious to me that some people do care about the original wing shape and are willing to pay extra for it

We can all find examples to 'prove' we are right. Another 'for example' a quick look through completed items throws up this example looking in perfect condition that sold for £65, and this tatty car that sold for £103 that (unless the shell was repainted recently) looks like it has an easily repairable body in there - it is a gamble but sell off the parts and the shell would be very cheap.

Sorry Terry but I can't possibly afford or justify to get an original for 270 GBP I just am not that well off. Good luck to those who can afford it, I wish you well.
Yet 270 GBP is also the price of the rerelease which a lot of people will do whatever it takes to buy one.

As I said here earlier in this thread if having a new example of the original shell is so important to you, there are ways and means to get it even if you don't have the income to just go out and buy one. If you absolutely had to have a scorcher shell right this minute then your choice is limited to what's on ebay or TC right now, but anyone prepared to wait and put enough effort into it anything is possible.

Firstly give it until the new year and original Scorcher shells will come down in price as the biggest demand is right now so prices are artificially high, and once the initial demand has subsided and there is a cheap alternative for those not bothered about originality the prices of bodies will come down a bit. We all know ebay prices are always artificially high just before Christmas, it happens every year.

As for not being able to afford one, joking aside Paul is right. If the time spent writing posts complaining was spent looking through the local papers classifieds and going round car boot sales looking for items to sell on ebay, you could have the money to pay for an original shell.

I know the person who boughtthis at a car boot for £10 and has made £55 profit on it to help fund his racing. A while ago he picked up a huge lot of Scalextric cars and track and then sold them off individually on ebay, made £120 on that deal. I bought 2 SRBs with RR/SS/XLT bodies from him, I thought I got a bargain at £100 yet he picked it up for only £30. I put examples of the profits I have made recently in my earlier post. If you really are desperate enough to want a NIB body only then you either try to raise the funds or make sacrifices to raise the money.

so in all seriousness, why doesn't someone make replica front wings (and the nose cone if you are being really pedantic) that could be grafted on for people restoring these older kits?

Depends on if there are enough people interested in buying them, compared to just running the rerelease body.

I have already thought of this, but not sure if there would be enough sales to justify the cost of development and production, considering ordinary casting resins would be too brittle. Attaching them wouldn't be a problem, epoxy resin sticks to the resin pretty well, the awkward bit is working out the best way to attach them as you would need a large mating surface to attach them.

You would also have to wait until the Scorcher body is available to make sure the new arches can fit on it.

Wonder If Tamiya decided to re-re the Ranger and the Super Champ, will they use Black bumper on them to?

Badboy

Depends on if there are enough people interested in buying them, compared to just running the rerelease body.

I have already thought of this, but not sure if there would be enough sales to justify the cost of development and production, considering ordinary casting resins would be too brittle. Attaching them wouldn't be a problem, epoxy resin sticks to the resin pretty well, the awkward bit is working out the best way to attach them as you would need a large mating surface to attach them.

You would also have to wait until the Scorcher body is available to make sure the new arches can fit on it.

I agree - perhaps the answer is to completely cut off the arches of the new shell, and have a contoured lip on the replacement wings that can be bonded to the inside of the main body?

Like you say, I guess it would be worth waiting to see exactly what the re-re Scorcher shell looks like, but even for those people with Blitzer/Monster shells, it might be worth someone developing a wing set - in fact you could also offer alternatives?

xxx

Wonder If Tamiya decided to re-re the Ranger and the Super Champ, will they use Black bumper on them to?

Badboy

I'd bet money that those two will never be re-released. It's two cars per chassis with the re-release programme and we've now had our two from the SRB selection.

I'd bet money that those two will never be re-released. It's two cars per chassis with the re-release programme and we've now had our two from the SRB selection.

If that is true, then no Monster Beetle either.

P.

We can all find examples to 'prove' we are right. Another 'for example' a quick look through completed items throws up this example looking in perfect condition that sold for £65, and this tatty car that sold for £103 that (unless the shell was repainted recently) looks like it has an easily repairable body in there - it is a gamble but sell off the parts and the shell would be very cheap.

I won that body and it IS mint. :rolleyes:

Whoever won that other Scorcher got a good price I reckon.

If that is true, then no Monster Beetle either.

P.

Yep. And surely the Monster Beetle mould now no longer exists as it has been modified for the SS10?

You know there won't be 'one' mould for any of these items, don't you? There will be a bunch.

An interesting totally off topic side note is that Lego are so protective of their moulds, when they get old an imperfect they bury them in concrete under their buildings, personally supervised by the company owner, lest they fall into the hands of undesirable competitors!

Paul.