Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

I'd bet money that those two will never be re-released. It's two cars per chassis with the re-release programme and we've now had our two from the SRB selection.

I doubt Tamiya have any rules when it comes to the re-re's. If they think there's a market for any given car then clearly they'll do it. Not a long time ago releasing a SRB was unthinkable but clearly they've done it to great success.

Personally I'm holding out for a Monster Beetle re-release, its got to be one of the most popular 80's cars they've yet to re-issue.

I doubt Tamiya have any rules when it comes to the re-re's. If they think there's a market for any given car then clearly they'll do it. Not a long time ago releasing a SRB was unthinkable but clearly they've done it to great success.

Personally I'm holding out for a Monster Beetle re-release, its got to be one of the most popular 80's cars they've yet to re-issue.

Maybe, but I guess Wandy is right:

Grasshopper/Hornet

Brat/Frog

Pumpkin/Lunchbox

Rough Rider/Sand Scorcher

Just two on each chassis?

I know monster trucks are popular as runners, but do they really warrant a re-release?

xxx

ps. fwiw - I loved the older Ranger/Blackfoot shell - wish I still had mine to remount on a new chassis...

I disagree...infact I think they clearly do have rules when it comes to the re-release policy. They look at each chassis, investigate which two kits were the biggest sellers from that chassis 'back in the day' and then re-issue those kits. I'd bet that there were more Brats sold than Monster Beetles in the 1980s.

You know there won't be 'one' mould for any of these items, don't you? There will be a bunch.

Paul.

Your opening a real can of worms with that claim. If that's true then there should have been no reason why the company could not have re-issued the Scorcher with it's original shell.

You know there won't be 'one' mould for any of these items, don't you? There will be a bunch.

An interesting totally off topic side note is that Lego are so protective of their moulds, when they get old an imperfect they bury them in concrete under their buildings, personally supervised by the company owner, lest they fall into the hands of undesirable competitors!

Paul.

I agree with you Paul, the histories about burned moulds...etc. If you take a look to most of the plastic parts will realize that they usually they have many moulds of the same subject. I think all us are influenced for issues like Rosso.....etc but I really think that Japanese ate Tamiya are so methodical and probably obsessives with the organizing that I would bet they have all the mould perfectly preserved. Also I think that is very unlikely they "brake" a mould just to make other absolutely different, at least they have backups of that.

Terry knows a lot more about this than me, being in the business for real, but Zoids (from Tomy) were made from multiple moulds during the 80s in France, Taiwan and Japan, Tamiya have moulds in various locations (they don't ship them about) and no single mould can produce, for example, the millions of 934 RSR bodies that have been made over the 33 years of its production in various guises. Moulds like anything have a life and the more they are used the quicker they wear out. This particular mould isn't a single mould at all, although I haven't seen it, you can imagine that it consists of parts, for example the main body and the wings (hence the join lines). In fact they possibly even considered making the wings a separate part. It was these wings they most likely adapted, or replaced for the Monster Beetle, rather than the whole shell.

I do hear however that the 959 moulds were destroyed, since that Porsche and Tamiya apparently fell out during the production. This is backed up by the clear evidence that the Porsche logo was dropped during production of that car from the box and since that time, Tamiya have never had a Porsche logo on a box.

Paul.

Cool, perhaps they'll do a 'show special' of the original Sand Scorcher shell later on :rolleyes:

Cool, perhaps they'll do a 'show special' of the original Sand Scorcher shell later on :rolleyes:

That's a clear example about the moulds. Before the Highlift Hilux was issued Tamiya offered a bunch of Mountaineer bodies, Could anybody really think they broke the Mounty mould to make two months after the new Hilux? more when all the Hilux production was boxed waiting the release announcement. So is clear for me they have the Mounty mould and the Highlift also.

Now that's IMHO the best idea anyone's had all year if it comes true!!

Can you imagine how fast that would sell out?!

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Terry knows a lot more about this than me, being in the business for real, but Zoids (from Tomy) were made from multiple moulds during the 80s in France, Taiwan and Japan, Tamiya have moulds in various locations (they don't ship them about) and no single mould can produce, for example, the millions of 934 RSR bodies that have been made over the 33 years of its production in various guises. Moulds like anything have a life and the more they are used the quicker they wear out. This particular mould isn't a single mould at all, although I haven't seen it, you can imagine that it consists of parts, for example the main body and the wings (hence the join lines). In fact they possibly even considered making the wings a separate part. It was these wings they most likely adapted, or replaced for the Monster Beetle, rather than the whole shell.

I do hear however that the 959 moulds were destroyed, since that Porsche and Tamiya apparently fell out during the production. This is backed up by the clear evidence that the Porsche logo was dropped during production of that car from the box and since that time, Tamiya have never had a Porsche logo on a box.

Paul.

So then, why did they not offer the re-re with the original shell?

Perhaps they do have a certain amount of respect for all the collectors out there and don't want to undermine the value of a kit that is worth a four figure sum in its original form.

Re a Monster Beetle re-release. I'm more inclined to think the two releases per chassis so far is just a pattern that's emerged rather than some golden rule set down by Tamiya at a board meeting at the start of all the re-release's a few years back.

What would they gain out of doing that? Surely if they think something will sell well they'll release it, plain and simple. If Tamiya re-re'd the Super Shot or Monster Beetle a lot of people here would fall over themselves to snap them up. I know I would.

My fingers are crossed anyway.

Perhaps they do have a certain amount of respect for all the collectors out there and don't want to undermine the value of a kit that is worth a four figure sum in its original form.

But collectors are a 'dead market' to Tamiya - they received the money for those kits about 30 years ago - why worry about upsetting someone who wouldn't buy the re-re anyway?

Tamiya is a business, not some cuddly 'let's not upset the collectors' charity :rolleyes:

Chances are there will never be a 100% trustworthy explanation as to why the SS10 comes with a BB shell, but all the speculation makes for interesting reading

I'd bet money that those two will never be re-released. It's two cars per chassis with the re-release programme and we've now had our two from the SRB selection.
Maybe, but I guess Wandy is right:

Grasshopper/Hornet

Brat/Frog

Pumpkin/Lunchbox

Rough Rider/Sand Scorcher

Just two on each chassis?

I know monster trucks are popular as runners, but do they really warrant a re-release?

xxx

ps. fwiw - I loved the older Ranger/Blackfoot shell - wish I still had mine to remount on a new chassis...

Cool does that mean there's a Cheetah on its way :rolleyes: , my guess (for what it's worth) is Tamiya will produce whatever makes money and I would not be surprised if the remaining two SRBs get an airing along with the MB and BF.

That's a clear example about the moulds. Before the Highlift Hilux was issued Tamiya offered a bunch of Mountaineer bodies, Could anybody really think they broke the Mounty mould to make two months after the new Hilux? more when all the Hilux production was boxed waiting the release announcement. So is clear for me they have the Mounty mould and the Highlift also.

I own one of these Mountaineer body sets and IMHO they were old stock, not freshly produced which makes more sense to me.

It's all cool - this guy from Tamiya is reading this thread and taking note of all the comments! :rolleyes:

tamiyadude.jpg

LOL LOL LOL............... that's true!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I can imagine a meeting at the Tamiya headquarters, and the big boss telling "men we have to change our plans two guys ate Tamiyaclub are disappointed and will not buy the kit" LOL

Re a Monster Beetle re-release. I'm more inclined to think the two releases per chassis so far is just a pattern that's emerged rather than some golden rule set down by Tamiya at a board meeting at the start of all the re-release's a few years back.

What would they gain out of doing that? Surely if they think something will sell well they'll release it, plain and simple. If Tamiya re-re'd the Super Shot or Monster Beetle a lot of people here would fall over themselves to snap them up. I know I would.

My fingers are crossed anyway.

I say they don't give a monkey's about the collectors and the value of vintage kits. And they limit each re-release to two cars per chassis because to do otherwise, by unloading every 80s car, would make them look very backward thinking and resting on old laurels. By just producing two cars per chassis they are allowing themselves to pay homage to their greatest hits and make easy money in the process.

Cars like the Supershot will not get a re-release because they would come as watered down versions, minus the Technipower motor and gold plated wheels which would defeat the whole object as it was their "Rolls Royce" buggy back in the day. The Monster Beetle would also come without gold wheels which would no doubt infuriate all of the purists on here.

I say they don't give a monkey's about the collectors and the value of vintage kits. And they limit each re-release to two cars per chassis because to do otherwise, by unloading every 80s car, would make them look very backward thinking and resting on old laurels. By just producing two cars per chassis they are allowing themselves to pay homage to their greatest hits and make easy money in the process.

Cars like the Supershot will not get a re-release because they would come as watered down versions, minus the Technipower motor and gold plated wheels which would defeat the whole object as it was their "Rolls Royce" buggy back in the day. The Monster Beetle would also come without gold wheels which would no doubt infuriate all of the purists on here.

I'm not saying they release 'every' 80's car (though who knows, give enough time they might :P ) but like I said if there's a market, which there clearly is, why won't they continue? I think the argument for them appearing backwards thinking and resting on old laurels is way behind us now. I reckon Tamiya know they're on a good thing with the re-re's and are probably going to continue with them. There were very similar arguments happening here a few years back and look what we've had since then.

As to gold plated wheels, why can't Tamiya re-make them? Some guys here make their own gold and silver plated plastic parts to sell, why not Tamiya? Also if Tamiya can get away (just about) with watering down the Sand Scorcher, why not the Super Shot? It wouldn't be the end of the world in terms of the Super Shots visual impact for them to release it with a stock motor.

I still think given enough time the Monster Beetle will reappear. I'm less convinced by them re-re'ing the Super Shot. But I'd still love them to.

Hey Singapore, what's the bet that guy is wearing 'Tamiya Shoes'? :P

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're not trying to call it a Sand Scorcher are they? I thought they were calling it something different like they did with renaming the Rough Rider the Buggy Champ?

The creator of the Sand Scorcher in 1979 was Tamiya. The creator of the Sand Scorcher re-re 2010 is Tamiya. I think they have the right to call it whatever they feel like... much to the dismay of a few members of this forum who think they are honourary board members of Tamiya LOL.

They probably saw how many people complained that the rere rough rider was called buggy champ. So they reversed it only to learn that people are complaining again LOL.

Depends on if there are enough people interested in buying them, compared to just running the rerelease body.

I have already thought of this, but not sure if there would be enough sales to justify the cost of development and production, considering ordinary casting resins would be too brittle. Attaching them wouldn't be a problem, epoxy resin sticks to the resin pretty well, the awkward bit is working out the best way to attach them as you would need a large mating surface to attach them.

You would also have to wait until the Scorcher body is available to make sure the new arches can fit on it.

As far as nose cone, rear lights.. there was someone on ebay that was reproducing them..

They did it just to mess with this board.. every morning they gather around the computer and read us arguing and laugh and say "silly" round eye people. :P

tamiyadude.jpg

.....And I'm telling you, Mr Loaded, CEASE and DESIST!! LOL !

:D

From the expression on his face, it's probably more like a Tamiya fishnet G-String! :P