Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

Ok,need some help please guys,

My SS body is primed and flatted and I will be masking tomorrow for colour.

The question is????.....spray the blue or the white first?????

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

White first then blue. Always paint the lighter colour first.

With lexan its the other way round (painting from inside).

Can't wait to see more pics! :blink:

Ok,need some help please guys,

My SS body is primed and flatted and I will be masking tomorrow for colour.

The question is????.....spray the blue or the white first?????

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Thank you for your help Dante, will follow that.

I am NOT looking forward to masking!

Oops, forgot to ask,

Is it better to mask off the areas that will be blue before spraying the white?..or spray the entire body white first?

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for your help Dante, will follow that.

I am NOT looking forward to masking!

Oops, forgot to ask,

Is it better to mask off the areas that will be blue before spraying the white?..or spray the entire body white first?

Thanks,

Steve

Im going to spray entiee body white first and let it dry well before applying any masking tape, then mask off blue areas once they are painted clear coat it all and add

decals after! as i think we are best not to clear coat over decals after reading something on here i think lol!

I would spray the entire body white (concentrating on the white areas, of course).

Then a quick sanding with 1200 grit where the blue will go. So you would only have to mask once. Which alone is one badword of a job! :blink:

Do the tires have the original lettering (Sand Tires Unlimited, Smoothie, Padlatrak)? I know the Grasshopper re-re uses the same tires and did have the original lettering when it was re-re'd. Unfortunately, the Buggy Champ has the lettering "Tamiya" on the front tires instead of the original "Sand Blaster JR" lettering. I'm hoping the new Sand Scorcher kept the original lettering.

One thing, the chassis is now a type of carbon instead of the old clear type.

Surely not. Check the stiffness of the chassis plate. If it bends, it's not Carbon. I would suggest that it's simply black FRP ( Fibreglass , Glass Reinforced Fibre , GRP , Glass Epoxy Composite , PolyEster Glass Composite...) and not Carbon.

Nice Kit, shame about the changed body with the flat (in width) arches (IMHO).

Well done for getting it so quick. Hope you got a nice one with no corner crushes on the box.

Regards,

Alistair G.

It is the same as the Buggy Champ new kit version, FRP in black instead of 'natural'. Same floppy material, different colour. Now if only we knew someone who did cool carbon fibre custom upgrades...

Paul.

Do the tires have the original lettering (Sand Tires Unlimited, Smoothie, Padlatrak)? I know the Grasshopper re-re uses the same tires and did have the original lettering when it was re-re'd. Unfortunately, the Buggy Champ has the lettering "Tamiya" on the front tires instead of the original "Sand Blaster JR" lettering. I'm hoping the new Sand Scorcher kept the original lettering.

rc,

The fronts have "SAND TIRES UNLIMITED" "THE SMOOTHEE" "4.50-15'

The rears have "SAND TIRES UNLIMITED" "PADLATRACK" "16.50-15"

Which I believe is the same as the original.

Alistair,

My mistake, not carbon.Just a carbon look to the material.

Box is in great shape,literally off the boat and into the shop and into my hands.

By the way, the sprues for the various body parts are stamped 'Tamiya 1986' so this would suggest Monster Beetle?

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S. Youre gonna love the smell of the tyres from the blister packs! Brings back lots of memories! :blink:

rc,

Which I believe is the same as the original.

Thanks, yeah they are the same as the original, so that's good. Any news on a T-Shirt option? I ordered a couple with the blue bag, but no T-Shirt.

Thanks, yeah they are the same as the original, so that's good. Any news on a T-Shirt option? I ordered a couple with the blue bag, but no T-Shirt.

No T Shirt for me RC, just a bag!

I would spray the entire body white (concentrating on the white areas, of course).

I usually do this when doing a Scorcher shell:

1. First prime with Tamiya fine primer (white).

2. Spray white, leave and dry, and mask.

3. Spray blue.

4. Take of the mask.

5. Cry a bit. Put it in a bath of breakfluid, and repeat from 1. a few times.

6. Sand lightly with grain 1000

7. Put clear on.

8. Drop the sunroof while still wet, and start over with that.

9. Apply decals.

10. Drink beer.

I usually do this when doing a Scorcher shell:

1. First prime with Tamiya fine primer (white).

2. Spray white, leave and dry, and mask.

3. Spray blue.

4. Take of the mask.

5. Cry a bit. Put it in a bath of breakfluid, and repeat from 1. a few times.

6. Sand lightly with grain 1000

7. Put clear on.

8. Drop the sunroof while still wet, and start over with that.

9. Apply decals.

10. Drink beer.

:blink: I swear that will be me ...

Which masking tape will have the best result? I heard good things about Tamiya branded masking tape and the 3M Blue Scotch tape. What about liquid masking tape?

Doh, would same tyres for grass hopper have same lettering on side or just 'tamiya'? i just ordered a set of tyres and wheels, which i guess are for grass hopper, might of been better of waiting for re- re ss parts though lol

Im not looking forward to painting body either but its a challenge!!

Judging by the comments there it would seem a lot of people outside of the hobby are going to be buying one. Yet more evidence that this re-re was always a no-brainer. I wonder how long they will all take to sell out before Tamiya has to decide whether to do another production run?

By the way, isn't it time to add 58452 to the main page? People are receiving their Scorchers now and have nowhere to put them...

felt so good to read that ...

felt so good to read that ...

I know what you mean im just hoping the re-re GH tyres and wheels have same lettering on them!

I wonder also if the re-re SS bodyset part (51406) will come with the exhaust also? at moment price works out £20 for bodyset from Rc champ!

be about £35 by time its delivered i expect.

Is anyone going to come up with some masking sheets for this? I'd be interested! I always make a mess of the paintwork! :rolleyes:

Is anyone going to come up with some masking sheets for this? I'd be interested! I always make a mess of the paintwork! :rolleyes:

Be great wouldnt it! hehe im looking at getting some 3M tape that is 3mm wide for curves and also use tamiya tape for other bits, all masking tape should come

in a dispenser or something to keep edges clean, as soon as you put the roll down on something otherwise the edges pic up all sorts and the edge is never so sticky!!

so paint bleds under it!

Judging by the comments there it would seem a lot of people outside of the hobby are going to be buying one.

Yes there seem to be a lot of people outside of the regular RC fraternity looking forward to this.

Though there was an odd comment on there by someone called 'Plotless'

"Oh wow! Wish they'd make a real Wild Willy."

Ermm... :rolleyes:

im looking at getting some 3M tape that is 3mm wide for curves

That 3m tape is excellent. If it's the same 3m stuff I have then it actually feels more like electrical tape than masking tape, but it does the job very effectively and it's narrow and pliable enough to work round some very tight corners. Shouldn't have any trouble masking out a Scorcher shell with it.

That 3m tape is excellent. If it's the same 3m stuff I have then it actually feels more like electrical tape than masking tape, but it does the job very effectively and it's narrow and pliable enough to work round some very tight corners. Shouldn't have any trouble masking out a Scorcher shell with it.

Great got my eye on some on ebay hope it works as it will be a mess otherwise lol! the tamiya tape is 10mm wide so ok for straights or slight bends but nothing major!