Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

@RCGrabBag:-

Really ? Then there are some kit differences, as some members on here definitely have MB style rear bucket lights.

The rear lights are a one piece solid, white molding but, the lenses from the original 2 piece rear light assembly are also included

The rear lights are a one piece solid, white molding but, the lenses from the original 2 piece rear light assembly are also included

I put the Scorchers away in storage, otherwise I'd go look myself, but are you saying that both the bucket AND the lens are one molded piece? If so, and you want to use the CLEAR lens instead, you have to cut the opaque one out?

I put the Scorchers away in storage, otherwise I'd go look myself, but are you saying that both the bucket AND the lens are one molded piece? If so, and you want to use the CLEAR lens instead, you have to cut the opaque one out?

Not sure if cutting's an option, as there's a lip around the edge of the bucket isn't there? but the rear light is a single bucket/lens moulding, as per the Blitzer Beetle

Pic shows the one piece rear light set and the extra, redundant lenses

img60_09022010202256_3.jpg

Need some of these

post-1185-1266872983_thumb.jpg

you'll have to take a dremal and just hack out the center of the molded lights so you can glue in the clear lenses. use a router bit or a engraver. it doesn't have to be perfect since the clear lens is painted with clear red paint and then glued on top

you can also get reproduction parts and just replace them, same with the side door handles.

tamiya did something like this on the new toyota tundra they have an extra set of clear lenses that are suppose to go into the side mirrors, but you have to cut the side mirrors if you want to install them, making it a PITA also

Yeah, that's an option. Oh well, the new SS isn't exactly the old SS, but it's still a nice offering.

Woohoo!!

Just got 2 Sand Scorchers from TowerHobbies in an official "pack of 2" Tamiya box!

Both shrink wrapped. Opened one, and it has the "bag" in it! Blister pack with universals was not stuck down and the 2 universals fell out. Oh well.

Rear cage has holes drilled in the correct place.

Were there only so many with bags? Just the first release? Cool to have!

I have one more kit arriving tomorrow for a total of 3! Will post pix once I get them all!

Buahahahahaaaaa! WOOHOO!!!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Got mine from Tower today. Loose blisters with the UJs floating around in the box, one was in a rear tire.

Found a couple other surprises when I opened the box too; an ESC (TEU-104BK) and the bag. I skimmed the last few pages but didn't see mention of people getting both.

I also wasn't expecting a full set of ball bearings.

Can't wait to start building.

Got mine from Tower today. Loose blisters with the UJs floating around in the box, one was in a rear tire.

Found a couple other surprises when I opened the box too; an ESC (TEU-104BK) and the bag. I skimmed the last few pages but didn't see mention of people getting both.

I also wasn't expecting a full set of ball bearings.

Can't wait to start building.

Yah, I got the ESC and BAG. Wonder if that is normal?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Got my Scorcher today :D

Was a little scared at first, the box it was shipped in was looking a bit beat up, but on the inside the kit box and contents was fine :lol: problem is, they didn't include my carry bag!!!! :P

And yep, the rear cage does have the holes drilled too far back (mine was from the first batch at RcMart), no big deal for me though it's going to be a regular runner :D :D

But hey, all problem's aside, when you see this sittting on your desk there is nothing but a big giant grin :D

Good news!! I just received a box from RCMart, the sent me the carry bag and to my absolute surprise they sent the replacement rear cage also!! Thanks RCMart, great service :D

Got my 2 from Tower today as well! Loose blisters with UJ's floating around the box also. I think they might have replaced the UJ's if it's that common. ESC & bag inside the kit. The other kit I won't be able to tell, as I plan to leave the shrink wrap on for at least 10 years!

My 2 from stella both came with the blue bag and ESC plus they both had the rear cage problem with the hole drilled in the wrong place. Blister packs all looked stuck down with no loose parts.

Im still waiting for replacement cages from stella.

Anyone have a link to a thread with a "HOW TO" for painting a scorcher shell properly?

Would be very helpful...

Awaiting Scorcher #3 today! WOOT!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Got my 2 from Tower today as well! Loose blisters with UJ's floating around the box also. I think they might have replaced the UJ's if it's that common. ESC & bag inside the kit. The other kit I won't be able to tell, as I plan to leave the shrink wrap on for at least 10 years!

No problem with the UJs, they won't have been replaced. Some kits didn't have the tire blister pack stuck down entirely, and in some cases it comes apart enough for the UJ to slip out. Discussed a few pages back.

And yes, TEU-104BK ESC is standard, and blue carry bag is standard with the first batch of kits.

Do the Japanese versions come with the ESC or not? They typically don't - One person reported not receiving an ESC, but it looked like the ESC sticker was peeled off the front of the box! Anyone have a Japanese kit yet? Anyone have the T-shirt?

The kits don't leave the factory with the shrink wrap on, so I wouldn't feel too bad about peeling it off. None of the HK kits come with shrink wrap. But if yours is shrink wrapped, it's a good idea to leave it on to protect the box from being scuffed in storage.

- James

Anyone have a link to a thread with a "HOW TO" for painting a scorcher shell properly?

Would be very helpful...

This one was posted previously...

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/tamiya-sa...bodyshell2.html

But basically, it involves a lot of quality time with a roll of Tamiya masking tape, and a LOT of patience... General wisdom says white fine primer undercoat, then (optionally mask off the blue areas first, but not really necessary) paint the shell pure white, then let that cure for several days, then mask off and spray the french blue. Finish with clear coat, and then paint the details.

Liquid mask might help making masking the bonnet a tad easier.

- James

Hi,

got my invoice today from RC Champ:

2 x Tamiya 58452 Sand Scorcher 2010 kit Discounted price 21200x2=42400Yen

Shipping charge 13600Yen

Paypal charge 2802Yen

Grand total 58802Yen

Thats about EUR 113.00 of shipping costs! :unsure:

Oh well, still a better price than here in Germany. And it comes with the T-shirt, not the bag.

They are shipped as I type. Can't wait for them to get here! :lol:

JR is splitting body sets out already....or he is splitting out full kits? ...hard to say as I haven't seen the body kits for sale anywhere yet. Great opportunity to pick up some smaller parts without having to buy a complete body set...they appear to be selling quite quickly.

JR is splitting body sets out already....or he is splitting out full kits? ...hard to say as I haven't seen the body kits for sale anywhere yet. Great opportunity to pick up some smaller parts without having to buy a complete body set...they appear to be selling quite quickly.

looks like all parts are there to me for a complete bodyset but will cost about £40 all in and the before shipping! think i will wait until the bodyset is out as i need all

the bits apart from tyres/wheels and body posts.

Im guessing the rear alloy roll cage is the same as re-re BC? same height etc?

My 2 from stella both came with the blue bag and ESC plus they both had the rear cage problem with the hole drilled in the wrong place. Blister packs all looked stuck down with no loose parts ...

Can I check with you when did you order your kit? I suppose only quite recently and so if the cage is still shipped with an adjustment required then, the 1st batch has not quite sold out yet???

Would be good to know from those who ordered the Japanese kit if the rear cage needs a little tweak ...

Can I check with you when did you order your kit? I suppose only quite recently and so if the cage is still shipped with an adjustment required then, the 1st batch has not quite sold out yet???

Would be good to know from those who ordered the Japanese kit if the rear cage needs a little tweak ...

I ordered mine from Stella on the first day they had them on eBay, About 3 weeks back. Stella shipped them with the rear cage problem then found out from Tamiya that there was a problem and has posted new cages.

This was what I was waiting for, I could not let this opportunity slip ...........Just ordered another SS2010 kit this time with the T-Shirt from Ebay seller jr-rc. USD$295 plus shipping. No ESC. IN-STOCK now.... About USD$20 more than what I paid for the SS2010 with the bag and ESC at Stellamodels but what the heck...

Missed out through RC Champ a while ago.

If any of you are desperately after a SS10 in the UK of the shelf or mail order.

At work we have just recieved a batch of SS10 which came with the SS/tamiya blue bag.

I have checked all the kits and they all have correct hole placements on the rear cages so it looks like HC is addressing them before they ship to stores.

Company I work for is Modelzone. I did a quick stock check of other stores in the company and appears they all have ample stock and I would guess they all came with the bags too.

Edit: they also came bundled with the 104 ESC.

I just picked one up from Ultimate Hobbies ($279.95) here in SoCal and it came with the blue bag and esc. Maybe they all come with the bag. Haven't checked out the cage issue yet.

Got mine from Modelsport in the UK today and it came with the blue bag also :rolleyes:

It has the problem everyone else has with the blister packs though. The one with the tyres etc has come away completely from the card, there isn't a single bit that is still stuck on, and the other one is about half off. I don't care anyway as this one is going to be built and abused ;)