Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

It kinda makes me wonder what Tamiya is planning for the future. After all the talk of the 959 mold being destroyed it may be safe to say that's out, but I wonder whats coming...

I was thinking the same as CPS996!

Everybody been saying that the SS mold's been destroyed and reshaped into MB and BB body...

Soon my friends, soon we will know...

My guess is they got more than one, or they have shaped new ones for this.

I was dreaming 'bout the arrivel of the "Holy Grail" and the nose cone was alot smaller and transparrent. :)

When I compared the original to the 2010 it was 1/16 scale and not 1/10 with pre-made paintscheme decals.

The decals was missing some of the sponsors, were they where suppossed to be said ".jpg" instead!!! :)

The tyres was very hard and glossy, more like plastic. Thankfully I woke up!!! :D

I can't stand it!!!

The wait is killing me!!!

TAMIYA C'MON!!!

I want it now!!!

Badboy

I do not believe it.

I go on holiday for five minutes and Tamiya release the big one.

Welcome back!

Next time you go away Tamiya will re-re the Blazing Blazer... Or... Not...

Badboy

It kinda makes me wonder what Tamiya is planning for the future. After all the talk of the 959 mold being destroyed it may be safe to say that's out, but I wonder whats coming...

Although moulds would have been destroyed, Tamiya have all the draws and the technical potential to make new ones in several days with the new tolling machines. So I guess is just a market question to do or not to do a reissue.

What it's true, I think, is the fact that the vintage time are coming to the end. All the old kits could be reissued, less perhaps the ones like the Wild Willy and others already were done in a new shape. However lately I saw several Blazing Blazer and other rare NIB to be offered, and made me remember the first months of this year when lots of SS NIB were on sell. Who knows!!!!!!!!!!!

moulds would have been destroyed

the fact that the vintage time are coming to the end

I don't agree about the moulds being destroyed. I would want to see written evidence of this in an interview with a Tamiya employee to confirm this. Or pictures LOL.

I don't see much evidence of the re-releases ending. Pajero MTW, RR (BC), SS, the potential seems endless to me.

Just my own opinions.

Can't wait to see the re-re Scorcher shell. Only a week and 2 days to wait! I hope!

Regards,

Alistair G.

we've already had an srb

wish they would rere one of the finer buggies - like the super astute, or egress

The re-release of the SRB chassis has shown that whether the company still has the old moulds or not is irrelevant to whether they will actually bring a kit back. It all depends on whether the potential of the re-release is good enough to make money without damaging the brand. If Tamiya do not use the old mould or do not use a new mould for the Scorcher body identical to the original it wont be because they could not do it but merely because they took the decison not to.

There are more online stores that use pictures from this site, http://www.tamiya-rrc.co.uk/shop/vintage-t...d-wily-m38.aspx use a pic of my Wild Willy that I posted here a few years ago. They never asked for permisson. I remember that the same image was used in RC Action (or some US RC magazine) also a few years ago, they never asked me either...

If somebody would use my pics I would probably be honored or something B)

It's kinda lame that they don't ask! How do they found pics?

Google? If so they found the link to the pic, so why not ask?

Badboy

I think I'll go broke if they ever come out with all the old Tamiyas I wanted

Hmm... I'm a little worried about the prototype as it looks like the body is a single piece instead of having a seperate nose cone. I couldn't see the typical 'seam' but then it could just be assembled well and painted. And the arches don't look like they're flared either, they look flat like the blitzer shell. I'm really hoping it's just me being wrong, y'know, not being able to see the shell properly because it's so small in the pics. I hope I'm wrong because I'd really like to have new nose cones on my old shells and I'd really like the new shells to match the old ones if only for posterity. I don't really mind so much about the moulded door handles but it would be nice if they'd be seperate parts again although it'd just be more for me to buy for my restorations.

Anyone got a better pic of the shell? Or better eyes that can see more detail?

I doubt very strongly that Tamiya would now decide to inject the body as one complete piece... With the nose attached it creates undercuts etc which is exactly why Tamiya chose to run it in 2 pieces in the beginning... As for the pictures I'm with Badboy, they're definately Monster Beetle/Blitzer Beetle arches so it will be disappointing for many people if it is the 2010 shell. That said this could be the compromise that Tamiya has chosen to go with so that there is still a great value to collectors in having the original Holy Grail flared arches of Sand Scorcher 1979... I say hang onto those original NIB shells and Sand Scorchers it could be a painful exercise to send the old out for the new...

James

BeetleLover

Prototype of the new SS shell ----> http://bugbox.skynetblogs.be/

Also see this thread http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...20&start=20

:D

THE WHITE ONE LOOKS LIKE A BLITZER BEETLE . DARN. I knew this would happen LOL.

I checked it by comparing the profile of the rear wing to my own original white Scorcher shell. The rear wing on mine is a completely different shape, it sticks out from the body much more than the one on that white body shell in the pic's above.

Sorry guys but if this really is the new SS2010 then I absolutely WON'T be buying any part of it.

I'm GUTTED. B):P:(

I can only hope that there is a mistake somewhere...

Oh well. Back to buying road rashed Scorcher shells at inflated prices off the bay. Now where did I put that body filler again...

Regards,

Alistair G.

I have my doubts about whether that actually is a prototype or just another Monster Beetle shell moulded in white. For a start if they were to do a prototype then why not just use the dimensions of the original shell instead of a MB? And if the SS2010 is to have a MB/BB shell then they wont have to do a prototype anyway as those shells are still in production.

I'm not saying that the 2010 kit will not come with the MB/BB shell but I'm not convinced by this prototype story.

I have my doubts about whether that actually is a prototype or just another Monster Beetle shell moulded in white. For a start if they were to do a prototype then why not just use the dimensions of the original shell instead of a MB? And if the SS2010 is to have a MB/BB shell then they wont have to do a prototype anyway as those shells are still in production.

I'm not saying that the 2010 kit will not come with the MB/BB shell but I'm not convinced by this prototype story.

By prototype I think the guy means that this is indeed what is intended to be released shortly with hardly any changes to it. It's obviously easy to change the "dye" and injection mould using the existing BB tooling but in white instead of black. Wouldn't cost them anything really, and would enable them to rerelease and call it a "Sand Scorcher".

I can't imagine that they would go to the trouble of then changing the wings to be like the originals since it would cost some money and times are hard etc. I hope to goodness that I'm wrong and Tamiya do get a huge public feedback about them wanting the original wings.

NOW IS THE TIME TO TELL THEM.

Who best would I e-mail at Tamiya Japan to get this through to them? Does anyone know?

Actually the strange thing is that the Blitzer Beetle shell has a different "size" and profile internally compared to the original SS shell. What I mean is that I remember reading somewhere (I think it's in that topic #1200 that I can't access anymore on TC's old forum system that I can't find since the new "improved" forum system search was introduced) in the topic that Chris (Netsmith) replied to and showed us comparison pictures of all 3 shells and nose cones, where someone mentioned about the BB body itself being significantly wider or something. I seem to remember that they said it was a different wider profile to the SS shell. Just a bit of info. LOL.

I'll tell you this, it's really ruined my day seeing that shell. I hate to say it but I did warn everyone about this and I feared it might well turn out this way.

Regards,

Alistair G.

By prototype I think the guy means that this is indeed what is intended to be released shortly with hardly any changes to it. It's obviously easy to change the "dye" and injection mould using the existing BB tooling but in white instead of black. Wouldn't cost them anything really, and would enable them to rerelease and call it a "Sand Scorcher".

I can't imagine that they would go to the trouble of then changing the wings to be like the originals since it would cost some money and times are hard etc. I hope to goodness that I'm wrong and Tamiya do get a huge public feedback about them wanting the original wings.

NOW IS THE TIME TO TELL THEM.

Who best would I e-mail at Tamiya Japan to get this through to them? Does anyone know?

Actually the strange thing is that the Blitzer Beetle shell has a different "size" and profile internally compared to the original SS shell. What I mean is that I remember reading somewhere (I think it's in that topic #1200 that I can't access anymore on TC's old forum system that I can't find since the new "improved" forum system search was introduced) in the topic that Chris (Netsmith) replied to and showed us comparison pictures of all 3 shells and nose cones, where someone mentioned about the BB body itself being significantly wider or something. I seem to remember that they said it was a different wider profile to the SS shell. Just a bit of info. LOL.

I'll tell you this, it's really ruined my day seeing that shell. I hate to say it but I did warn everyone about this and I feared it might well turn out this way.

Regards,

Alistair G.

This is the info you might be thinking of. http://www.tamiya101.com/article_sand_scorcher_shells.asp

By the way I wouldn't bother contacting Tamiya about any possible changes to the body now. The designs will have been finalised long ago and this whole project will have been in the pipeline for the last 2 years at least. I would imagine that any decision on fine details of the body will have been decided long ago.

My hunch says we will be getting the Monster Beetle shell which is disappointing but on the positive side I bet we will get mirrors, wipers, stinger exhaust etc to go with it. And we will get a nice shiny box art lid identical to the original along with blister packs.

The Sand Scorcher 2010 might not be 100% perfect, in the same way that the Buggy Champ wasn't due to the withdrawal of the Sand Blaster Juniors, but it wont be enough to put me off getting one.

Just to add to this debate.....would Tamiya really let a prototype/pre-production part be seen anywhere outside of Japan before release date?

Ive just looked on tamiyausa.com in 'coming soon' off road buggys. it say sand scorcher 2010 - 4wd offroad buggy. thats confusing?

Just to add to this debate.....would Tamiya really let a prototype/pre-production part be seen anywhere outside of Japan before release date?

I guess 'yes'; the white shell is from the prototype mold so Tamiya Japan probably produced a few to send to key people such as in Tamiya Germany so I wouldn't expect this shell to be the only one in existence. Especially as they left it at a car firm making a 1:1 Scorcher. Though if Tamiya do make any changes these prototype shells would be quite valuable.

This is the sadest day so far (if it's true)

What made the holy Gral holy was the details!!!

Doorhandles, mirrors, exhaust pipe, turn indicators etc...

If this is the body... I'm not gonna buy more than one...

But on the other hand... Why would the CEO from Tamiya Germany have the prototype body?

Why would Tamiya ship a body to show guys whos building a full scale?

For paintscheme? It's white not coloured!!!

Is there more than one bugeye kit? B)

"-Hi! I would like to buy a Baja Bugeye kit.

- Do you want Tamiya style or real style?"

Naahh! I keep my fingers crossed!!!

Please Tamiya tell us this isn't true!!!

Badboy

Another thing to consider....most of the best Scorchers you see here on TC and the other scale R/C websites have had their arches trimmed/chopped/butchered! Tamiya probably looked at them all and said "What's the point in reproducing the original arches?...they all just chop them off anyway!" B)