Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

@Wandy - yes, that was the one. I just paid the BIN price as I suspect original NIB Scorcher bodies may now actually go up in value.

Gives me the right arches, even if the nose will be from the re-re.

Need to find some door handles though. That'll be the tricky part :)

The nosecone is particularly worrying. Nothing will top the shape of the original Sand Scorcher nosecone. It was perfect the first time. Tamiya wrecked it.

Thats an amazing statement Corpse Thrower. To me those noses look so close they could be almost identical. In fact I'd go as far as to say the new nose looks even better than the orginal.

nosecone.jpg

I'm also surprised at Lars and a couple of others making a comparison to the Blitzer nose - it looks nothing like a Blitzer nose.

Tamiya could quite easily have thrown a Blitzer nose on this (and a lot of people expected it) but they haven't. They closely replicated the original and they're still getting *****ed at.

When the possibility of a SS re-re was being discussed on these forums previously a few people were suggesting Tamiya couldn't re-re the original nosecone because they didn't have the licence from Empi. Well maybe that's true, maybe they haven't and so the new one is the best they could do.

But seriously, to look at those nose cones and to say that the one on the left has been "wrecked" by Tamiya is mental!

@Wandy - yes, that was the one. I just paid the BIN price as I suspect original NIB Scorcher bodies may now actually go up in value.

Gives me the right arches, even if the nose will be from the re-re.

Need to find some door handles though. That'll be the tricky part :)

Looks like we've both been thinking along the same lines with the ol' arches issue, except I wasn't able to stretch for a NIB shell. Hopefully mine will look NIB when it's stripped!

To cover my back I suppose I had better mention Usual Disclaimer. Also the Caustic soda can eat your hands, the Lacquer thinner will blow your head off with the smell, and Fashine has an intense lemon smell LOL.

Cheers,

ARG

You missed out :-

C

-Would have liked to have seen the kit come with original shell but it's not a deal breaker.

-Own/owned a vintage SRB, bought for silly money in pretty woefull condition, sold it on as was not worth the expense and/or hassle to restore it. The re-re brings all of the joy and none of the hassle.

Guess who is in camp C? ;)

Haha, well you also forgot :-

D

- Dosen't give 2 monkeys about the differences (it's a totally new car everybody), we now have 4 different shells (& body parts) for conversion:

1. The original (and most expensive) Sand Scorcher "Holy Grail" shell!

2. The classic 80's Monster Beetle shell (in white & red)

3. The Blitzer Beetle shell (which is the same as No2 but in black but comes with different body parts)

4. The "NEW" RERE Sand Scorcher shell (which presumably will be molded in white) & might be identical to the Blitzer shell but come with new nose cone, indicators wing mirrors etc...

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE MORE CHOICE THE MERRIER!!!!

ROLL ON THE NEW YEAR, OH YEAH!!!!!! :);):o:D:o:P

I take it you boys haven't seen the ball diff and t-shirt pics posted on Tamiyablog yet?

(a tidal wave of peeing is expected on the internet soon - wear a mac)

WOAH I didn't see that coming :blink:

Ball diff' for SRB by Tamiya, corr what a novelty!

@redzone... Sand Blitzer :lol: You crack me up!

Cheers,

ARG

With a bit of shopping around I've now found Buggy Champs for £144.99 inc p+p - and this is what, 4 months after the much hyped release?

how long before the Scorcher hits that price?

I dont mind the wrong wheelarches when I can buy the whole kit for the cost of an NOS shell :blink:

Now that's a good point.

I'm really glad that some are very happy with this new re-release, albeit if I am not one of them.

Cheers,

ARG

If the info is correct on the non-clear rear lights, sticker license plate, weird mirrors and molded handles, on top of blitzer fender profile, no sunroof, and debatable nose cone, then will I buy one? Yeah. Is it a disappointment, and IMO, is Tamiya becoming a much less stellar company? You bet. How can you argue the fact, unless you're a blind Tamiya devotee? (Nothing personal Swarm.) Gotta hit that price point! All I know is I'd pay more for better. The lights, plate, mirrors & handles irritate me more than the fenders: Fine, I understand about the body mold perhaps not being feasible financialy. But the other stuff? El Cheapo. You chaps who love the new 'Scorcher', bully for you: But as this is the hardest-core group of Tamiyaphiles online, you bet there are gonna be malcontents like myself! The whole idea of wanting every extra detail is what makes Tamiya desirable. The 'It's pretty close, so that's fine' mentality is not for everyone, and the guys who demand the best are naturally gonna be found here, and be vocal about it. If I wanted a 'Close is Good' Scorcher or a runner, I'd put a Parma lexan body on my old Losi XX-CR (Shortened, of course.) So kindly allow us hard-nosed types to vent a bit, my inner child is hard to please, but without it I wouldn't be into R/C anyway......Chris

Yeah the whole idea that attracted me to Tamiya in the first place for me was the thought that they were the best scale models and Scale RC models (i.e. most accurate, and without compromise) available. I think it does cheapen the brand. OK so the original mould does not exist unmodified anymore, fair enough, but Tamiya is starting to consistently loose it on the details too in a fair few cases... like stickers for license plates etc.

Cheers,

ARG

Surely Tamiya have done everyone a favour with regards this new SS 2010 version. The serious collectors don't have to be worried as the release isn't a carbon copy of the original and yet those who simply want the fun of building and running a SS, which to most peoples eye is almost identical to the original, have now got the opportunity to do so after so many years. I've held off getting a Buggy Champ for this release so I'm well happy. I'm going to have fun building it then I'm going to have fun running it and I'm not going to give a toss about size of the fenders or the nose cone, I can't say its going to ruin my enjoyment in the slightest. This release was inconceivable when I first joined TC a few years back. I can't believe people are complaining.

Thats an amazing statement Corpse Thrower. To me those noses look so close they could be almost identical. In fact I'd go as far as to say the new nose looks even better than the orginal.

nosecone.jpg

I'm also surprised at Lars and a couple of others making a comparison to the Blitzer nose - it looks nothing like a Blitzer nose.

Tamiya could quite easily have thrown a Blitzer nose on this (and a lot of people expected it) but they haven't. They closely replicated the original and they're still getting *****ed at.

When the possibility of a SS re-re was being discussed on these forums previously a few people were suggesting Tamiya couldn't re-re the original nosecone because they didn't have the licence from Empi. Well maybe that's true, maybe they haven't and so the new one is the best they could do.

But seriously, to look at those nose cones and to say that the one on the left has been "wrecked" by Tamiya is mental!

Excellent point, the nose cone indeed looks faithful to me, so I'm very very pleased :blink: Looks to be a crisp moulding to, Tamiya back to top form on that one.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

More photos.... :blink:

Click here....

From someone who never thought they would own a Sand Scorcher to run, I think it looks great, can't wait! :lol:

Thanks finally pics from the show i take it? looks very nice to me, even better seeing good clear shots of it funny how they have4wd in the title lol

You'd think, for a display model, they'd get a professional to paint it. Look at the masking round the front arches!

Im disappointed that its just a blitzer body with a new nose. The effort they put into making new mirrors, they could have made them look the same as the originals.

Poor effort, Tamiya. Poor.

Oh Jesus, quitting whining and just be happy they did it at all. You can sulk in the corner while the rest of us are reliving our childhoods, getting to open that great box for the first time, building it again and then bashing the heck out of it on the beach.

Colin

My guess is they wont announce it and RCTV have it wrong, or were just creating more exposure for themselves.

Tamiya already released one hugely popular SRB lately and I'm not sure it would make sound business sense to get all of your tricks out of the bag at the same time.

Plus, this is just the 49th anniversary, they'll so something VERY special for the 50th.

My two cents!

No worries mate. It is official and I had it right even though everyone thought I was wrong. According to rctvlive's facebook page it is a sure thing. Can't wait to finally see one in person.

Not really being a Kyosho fan...

I hope someone over there is seeing all this and taking notes. Always wanted a Vanning, or any old chain drive Optima.

More photos.... :blink:

Click here....

From someone who never thought they would own a Sand Scorcher to run, I think it looks great, can't wait! :lol:

Thanks for these extra pics, it looks great. I cannot wait to get my hands on one, or two.

Does anyone make a VW engine cover that fits or work on the SS?

Colin

Personally, I'm glad the release is as close to the original as possible. I know I'll be getting both the Buggy Champ and Sand Scorcher.

I don't have the time to restore or hunt down parts so a nib kit that I can build cleanly suits me fine. I'll even get me some of those alloy wheels from RC Channel for some bling!

Look what TamiyaBlog posted:

tamiya_fair_2009_4-705657.jpg

That is an SRB Ball diff, my friends :lol: So could this be that Tamiya is starting their own line of hopups, or is it just a part to make the SRB more fun to drive for people who are used to diffs? :blink: Anyhow, whether you like a diff in an SRB or not, I think it's great Tamiya will be releasing one!

Look, put it this way - the shape of the fenders only really matters if you're making a box art Scorcher, and are a stickler for originality. Personally, some of the coolest Scorchers I've seen are the non-box art chopped variety, which are all based on Blitzer Beetle shells anyway.

And seriously, if the shape of the guards bothers you - get your plasticard and putty out and fix it! We're meant to be scale modelers, for rude word's sake.

- James

can anybody show me pix of the different fender side by side as I can't tell as i don't have SS/RR.

Also I agree with James and everyone that we should be glad that tamiya re-re this. Imagine if tamiya saw all the complains they would be dissapointed and go back to make modern plastic tub like buggy! Certainly will be boring.

errrm, I did not compare it to the BB nose cone:

......, the nose cone looks to be something between SS and BB.

I should have added "because of the sharper edges"

I dont think that qualifies for "*****ing" at Tamiya... :blink:

And with the latest pics, I still think the new nose is "longer" than the original SS nose, but I might be wrong.

I am not saying that I don't like the new SS, I am simply describing what I believe are the differences in design.

....Tamiya is in a win-win situation here :-)

-Lars

can anybody show me pix of the different fender side by side as I can't tell as i don't have SS/RR.

Also I agree with James and everyone that we should be glad that tamiya re-re this. Imagine if tamiya saw all the complains they would be dissapointed and go back to make modern plastic tub like buggy! Certainly will be boring.

http://www.tamiya101.com/article_sand_scorcher_shells.asp

Badboy