Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

I can't thank you enough for taking my scorcher as an example

My pleasure chap. You've got a lot of great looking vehicles in your showroom, all well photographed too!

The official pic doesn't do it for me...

It look kinda sacky, I want stiifer torsonbars in the rear...

Also look lower in the front...

Badboy

Totally agree. Doesn't sit right? Maybe it can be raised up like the original on the torsion bars. Looks a bit toyish' this way.

We'll get a better idea once we get to build it i guess......

I mean who cares about wheel arches when you could have a SS that looks like this http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...019&id=6228

or indeed this http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...89&id=11315

I think a lot of people do care, I had hoped for an SS shell not a BB. Those examples are great but there's still a lot of folks that don't want to customize the shells. Having said that, Tamiya could have sculpted the front wings to follow the (original) box art more, could have been a nice selling point?

Regarding the sag in the official US photo, can someone say whether the new SRB have the old torsion bars?

Regarding the sag in the official US photo, can someone say whether the new SRB have the old torsion bars?

They have a torsion bar

If you look at the BC pics, http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58441 the rear shocks look very compressed already - is that normal for the new ones?

The rear camber looks a helluva lot less

post-1185-1259100870_thumb.jpg post-1185-1259100592_thumb.jpg

Scorcher on the left, Buggy Champ on the right.

img26801_24112009221838_1.jpg

Identical stance as far as I can tell. The pic on Tamiya doesn't look right to me - and certainly isn't representative of the Buggy Champ. So if they have changed it, I can see a big rush to buy BC Torsion bars :blink:

They have a torsion bar

If you look at the BC pics, http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58441 the rear shocks look very compressed already - is that normal for the new ones?

The rear camber looks a helluva lot less

post-1185-1259100592_thumb.jpgpost-1185-1259100870_thumb.jpg

It's funny, but the Buggy Champ in the USA add above looks better without the camber!! Somehow the Sand Scorcher would not be a Sand Scorcher without the tilted rear wheels!

Relax guys! :blink:

The Scorcher will have the normal ride hight with the usual camber.

Somehow they thought it might have looked better lowered in the pics

If you look at the fair pics, you see it sits normal. Why would they change it?

If you look again at the fair pics, you'll also see the rear wheels are off the deck, which means either the torsion springs are softer or the ride height was limited in the Tamiya website pics.

its been 30 yrs... obviously the driver figure has stacked on a few pounds ;)

or 30 years on a horse will have the same effect. :unsure:

The rear ride height would be easily adjustable by twisting the torsion bars? I don't see the big deal at all?

I'm one of the ones to be happy with the re-re. Agreed the "wings" don't look quite the same, especially the rears, but it still looks like an awesome buggy to me.

Can't wait to get 2 of em and spare body set.

Word.

Skottoman

Relax guys! :unsure:

The Scorcher will have the normal ride hight with the usual camber.

Somehow they thought it might have looked better lowered in the pics

I agree with Dante on this..you are all reading way too much into that photo. All they have done is press down on the back end to give it a squat look. I do it all the time with my cars on the shelf as it makes them look much better. Unfortunately in this instance it hasn't worked, as the Scorcher is one of those few cars that looks better raised up somewhat. The Rough Rider however always looks better when its squatting IMO.

The chassis will be identical to the Buggy Champ, including torsion bars. You guys are getting seriously twitchy now. ;)

its been 30 yrs... obviously the driver figure has stacked on a few pounds :unsure:

Can this please be confirmed by someone at the show?

Would you recommend thicker oil in both left shocks or a bias, in which case, what split?

The official pic doesn't do it for me...

It look kinda sacky, I want stiifer torsonbars in the rear...

Also look lower in the front...

Badboy

Is a problem I found in the Buggy Champ, the rear torsionbars are very soft as well as the front springs. I think they wanted fix the problem of the lacking of suspension in the rear and went to worst. Anyway that is easily fixed and the whole will look again as an off road.

I insist friend on what I said 20 pages above, if you want a vintage then buy a vintage, this is a new one and sincerely I liked they would go beyond and get for us a new body as I did http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=94019

Anyway is a new kit and gives us the opportunity to build something relatively different, and always is the advantage to get new exhauts, rearviews, windows, white bodies for MB projects....etc.

I think that all about modelling is to have fun, building, running if RC and have fun and perhaps we are coming more collectors than modelers enjoying their free time.

I have been modelling since 40 years now and of course some extra time in my childhood. I built more than 1000 kits, however I don't have more than 40-50 of all them including RC and static, just take a look to my showroom here and there around and will realize that. I like boxes and some of them deserve to rest unbuilt, but modelling means to be building.

My point is that: if you are looking a vintage to collect and keep unbuilt forever, then go on for a vintage, I have seen prices decreasing lately, this is new to open and build as is or modified.

Thanks for reading!!!!!

I'm not hanging around while everybody argue's over the minor shell difference's, I've got 2 on a pre-order before everyone wakes up & realises that they are all sold out! End of the day it's an "Official Tamiya Sand Scorcher" wether it's new or vintage!!!

Seriously they wont go, they released the original one 30 odd years ago and they still come up on ebay week in week out, they are like a bad smell cant get rid of em :unsure: So that will be a minimum of 60 years of sand scorcher for sale... makes yer think

...the worst comes to the worst, buy a BC and get an SS body...sorted

Cough you mean monster beetle body. :unsure:

its been 30 yrs... obviously the driver figure has stacked on a few pounds :unsure:
Can this please be confirmed by someone at the show?

Would you recommend thicker oil in both left shocks or a bias, in which case, what split?

I'm surprised at you - a moderator here and you still miss the point of the LiFe battery. It was surely developed specifically due to the extra weight the driver has stacked on over the 30 years. More seriously, how much slower do you think the have made the car/gearbox to match his aged, slower, reactions?

I'm surprised at you - a moderator here and you still miss the point of the LiFe battery. It was surely developed specifically due to the extra weight the driver has stacked on over the 30 years.

Actually, LiPo(suction) may be more appropriate :unsure:

I crack me up

Actually, LiPo(suction) may be more appropriate :unsure:

I crack me up

That one was actually really good, Andy.

Be careful, jokes like that might be babeltranslated into Japanese to mean we want a VACUUMFORMED LEXAN monstrosity... :-(

So.....

Do we have a release date on this Abomination yet? :D

Looking at it again the nosecone doesn't look too bad, although not original as it should be. No excuse for the doorhandles, mudguards and rear lights, however.

Shame Tamiya, Shame!! B)

I'm still buying 3 of them :)

Tamiya producing a ball diff for the SRB is indeed a surprise but also a very bad news for Peter Lai aka RA1028 who really did a good job with his thorpe ball diff copy. I don't think TAMIYA 's diff will be much cheaper than peter's so what would you say if I suggested that we all keep buying the diffs from him ?

I'm not particularly involved but this could end up being a really sad story for someone who worked hard to make this part affordable.

For my part I will buy from him.

Freyahel

Tamiya producing a ball diff for the SRB is indeed a surprise but also a very bad news for Peter Lai aka RA1028 who really did a good job with his thorpe ball diff copy. I don't think TAMIYA 's diff will be much cheaper than peter's so what would you say if I suggested that we all keep buying the diffs from him ?

I'm not particularly involved but this could end up being a really sad story for someone who worked hard to make this part affordable.

For my part I will buy from him.

Freyahel

I'll second that! If RA1028 stops his production there will be plenty of Tamiya diffs in stock later on.. :)

Support the TC-members! B)