Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

Well, after reading 55 pages of this thread and laughing about some of the *****ing and yes - the whiners - i have to say in response, get over it!. So what the wheel arches are different and the number plate is a sticker, who cares!. If you don't like the fact that the re-release is different then don't buy it. If you think buying an original NIB for way over the realistic odds and never building or running it is worth it, then stick to that. I personally think it's great that tamiya are going to these lengths and re-releasing these kits so everyone can enjoy them. For me, i think it's a bit too expensive so i doubt if i'll buy one, but i'm lucky enough to have owned more than my fair share of these buggies originally, so i don't need to re-live them.

Thank you Tamiya!

James.

Amen to that.. :)

I am also one of the excited ones for the Re-re. Makes me happy! Can't wait to have one!

Anyone know the best place to pre-order in the US? Or a functional pre-order site in Asia somewhere that I can understand?

Ready to pre-order!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Towerhobbies should have it up shortly. I got my Buggy Champ from them back in August. Part number is 58452. If you don't want to wait for them to put it up, call them tomorrow and ask them to put you down for one.. they're pretty good about that.

Frankly I'm surprised at the maoning, groaning, whining ... whatever you call it ... over a couple of pictures that have been posted of the SS 2010.

I think we should all wait for the real packaged product to present itself at the shops before we start whinging ... unless there is nothing else to talk about other than to nit pick about what is original and what is not.

C'mon guys ... this is the Re-Release ... it is and will never be The Original!

Unlike Buggy Champ, the sample/demo kits for SS 2010 have not hit the Tamiya distributors or resellers yet ... so all we have are those couple of pics from the net. Let's wait for something tangible before we start getting disappointed for nothing.

I'm going to keep my hopes up that Tamiya rushed out the display model from whatever they could raid from the parts bin to be in time for Tamiya Fair, but will amend some of the items/features in the final product ... and it will be different from what we saw at the Tamiya Fair ... for example:

- The kit will be LED ready - i.e. clear lenses

- It will have the SS body instead of the mock up BB body

- It will come with a differential ...

I also understand that it will also arrive in Jan/Feb 2010 timeframe ... not in time for Christmas :P ...

But THANK YOU TAMIYA!!!

... ok flame away :)

Screw us? Take me for example. I have spent more on Sand Scorcher kits than some people have spent on houses, yet although 'theoretically' I have a lot to lose, I don't look at it that way. If you bought a plastic and metal toy for investment, then you should try something else - gold or real estate maybe. If you bought a bit of nostalgia because you love it, then who cares what it is worth?

The point is, everyone who spent ages lovingly restoring an old Scorcher won't feel bummed that Tamiya have released something close enough to send your heart racing as you run it around the track, without killing your bank balance when you crash it, or making that shelfer feel any less special.

Altogether now, THANK YOU TAMIYA!!!

Paul.

Paul, I agree 100 %.

Thank you TAMIYA !

-Lars

well i've decided to buy a s/h original scorcher shell for my original SAND BLITZER, and buy a rere SAND BLITZER bodyset for my buggy champ :)

honestly i hope psychoatom is right about the shell! but i doubt it..

Yep, when I made my sarky remark about the MB coming with a SS shell, it was meant in fun (I guess irony is a sophistry that's beyond your meager comprehension.) You chaps who had a hard time with it, I'll be straight: Even if I was serious, I'd rather be a 'whiner' than a self-righteous, crud-spewing, name-calling, mental defective that feels they must defend Tamiya's honour if I see a comment that is other than complimentary (Get the irony again? I kinda called you names!) If you look at the smilie I attached to the post header, it would tell you something, but you don't think, do ya? You react, much like lower life forms that still require gangliatic nerve clusters to maneouver their hindquarters. Who do you think you are to tell me not to voice my opinion, or anything else? I hope the guys who got it had a chuckle, that's all. Chris

Yep, when I made my sarky remark about the MB coming with a SS shell, it was meant in fun (I guess irony is a sophistry that's beyond your meager comprehension.) You chaps who had a hard time with it, I'll be straight: Even if I was serious, I'd rather be a 'whiner' than a self-righteous, crud-spewing, name-calling, mental defective that feels they must defend Tamiya's honour if I see a comment that is other than complimentary (Get the irony again? I kinda called you names!) If you look at the smilie I attached to the post header, it would tell you something, but you don't think, do ya? You react, much like lower life forms that still require gangliatic nerve clusters to maneouver their hindquarters. Who do you think you are to tell me not to voice my opinion, or anything else? I hope the guys who got it had a chuckle, that's all. Chris

Superb.

If Tamiya decides to re-re the Monster Beetle, they'll probably find a new way to screw us, like using a Sand Scorcher body or somethin'......Chris

Actually I had a good chuckle reading that very clever wish I had thought of it.

Dont let it grind you down mate.

Screw us? Take me for example. I have spent more on Sand Scorcher kits than some people have spent on houses, yet although 'theoretically' I have a lot to lose, I don't look at it that way. If you bought a plastic and metal toy for investment, then you should try something else - gold or real estate maybe. If you bought a bit of nostalgia because you love it, then who cares what it is worth? Saying all that, values have actually not gone down, Tamiya have provided a wonderful piece of nostalgia for everyone to enjoy (if you can't afford $200-$300 - don't whine, give up smoking, go out less for a month, or turn down your thermostat 2 degrees over the winter, I don't want to hear IIIIII can't afford that I really don't. If you can afford an internet connection and a computer, you can afford a Sand Scorcher after 30 years of waiting, don't even dare whine ;-) )

Someone just bought one of my mint NIB Scorchers for £4500. I have ordered 12 NIB New re issues. These facts are unrelated. The cars are similar enough to have the passion and spirit, but not close enough to spoil the value of the original, in fact they may even improve it over time. Sure someone will pipe in (an eBay junkie) and say well I saw a Scorcher go for $1600 the other day so it must be worth that - but that is woolly logic. Prices may be lowish on some things right now due to the economic climate and people panicking and dumping Scorchers on the eBay.

The point is, everyone who spent ages lovingly restoring an old Scorcher won't feel bummed that Tamiya have released something close enough to send your heart racing as you run it around the track, without killing your bank balance when you crash it, or making that shelfer feel any less special.

Altogether now, THANK YOU TAMIYA!!!

Paul.

AMEN !!!

Personally I thought Toyranosaurs post it was a joke, as had a few others. A pretty funny one as well.

Personally, I wasn't referring to Toyranosaurs' comment.

Neither was I. Storm in a teacup?

I didn't think it was much of a joke though. Perhaps I lack the intellect to appreciate such things.

Paul.

Ok we've done the wheel arches thing to death. Now onto the mirrors! :D

Who is with me when I say the new ones look better than the originals and will almost certainly be better quality?

I thought the diff was optional?

I thought the diff was optional?

I think that was more of an optimistic wishlist than a statement of fact :D

I'm going to keep my hopes up that Tamiya rushed out the display model from whatever they could raid from the parts bin to be in time for Tamiya Fair, but will amend some of the items/features in the final product ... and it will be different from what we saw at the Tamiya Fair ... for example:

- The kit will be LED ready - i.e. clear lenses

- It will have the SS body instead of the mock up BB body

Now onto the mirrors! :D

Who is with me when I say the new ones look better than the originals and will almost certainly be better quality?

Ah, but will things still appear closer than they actually are?

Neither was I. Storm in a teacup?

I didn't think it was much of a joke though. Perhaps I lack the intellect to appreciate such things.

Paul.

It was well disguised. But then I do have a very high humour threshold.

You watch a lot of science fiction don't you LOL. Good usage of imaginative words

Chris, my apology for singling out your comment. After catching up on 50 pages of posts (much of which was negative), yours was the last one and apparently I missed the sarcasm!

Regards,

R

Ah, but will things still appear closer than they actually are?

LOL probably not. Goddammit does this mean I have to fork out more money for the "original" experience? :D

I suppose the mirrors will be for shelf queens only. They'll be snapped off mine the first time I roll it, which will be... oohh about 10 seconds into its first drive :D

Ever seen the mirrors on the new 3 speed Hilux? Tamiya did some sort of spring contraption. One roll and they dangle like an accordion :D

Mirrors...... oohh about 10 seconds into its first drive

About 7.5 seconds longer than the roof lights on a Buggy Champ then :D

LOL probably not. Goddammit does this mean I have to fork out more money for the "original" experience? :(

Yes. You also have to stick your head inside the scorcher shell to use the side mirror's to their full advantage... extra 10pts if you run around with it on your head making "Brrmm brmm" sounds :D

(Goodness, I wouldn't be online if we weren't allowed to have a sense of humour) :D:D

Someone just bought one of my mint NIB Scorchers for £4500. I have ordered 12 NIB New re issues.

I really hope Tamiya makes more than 12 of the re release Sand Scorcher, otherwise I'm going to miss out!

Jak

I really hope Tamiya makes more than 12 of the re release Sand Scorcher, otherwise I'm going to miss out!

Jak

I agree ! why are people ordering so many anyway ? If they store them away, in 30 years time they wont be worth anything like what the original's are worth now ! Because there will be so many NIB ones still around !

Yes. You also have to stick your head inside the scorcher shell to use the side mirror's to their full advantage... extra 10pts if you run around with it on your head making "DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK" sounds :D

FIXT!