Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

Don't know the exact release date, but RC Champ confirmed February 2010.

They also confirmed the first batch will include the Sand Scorcher T-shirt, just like it happened with the Buggy Champ.

Awesome, can't wait, looks like santa will be arriving a little late this year or early next year depending on which way you want to look @ it!!!

To those UK buyers who bought a Buggy Champ from RC Champ....what was the shipping charge, and did you get hit by import duty?

Last time I lived in the UK, the threshold for merchandise was £36, £72 for gifts. These prices included shipping, so you would probably not be able to get away with saving any charges. They may have increased this now, however. Most countries the threshold is much higher, realistic and doesn't include shipping.

Paul.

Last time I lived in the UK, the threshold for merchandise was £36, £72 for gifts. These prices included shipping, so you would probably not be able to get away with saving any charges. They may have increased this now, however. Most countries the threshold is much higher, realistic and doesn't include shipping.

Paul.

Now it's 18 GBP for merchandise, 36 GBP for gifts. Has been for quite a few years. Last time I EMS'ed something large from Japan they hit me for charges. They're tightening up on it...

Regards,

Alistair G.

Hi Jak,

you can email Hirotaka at RC Champ and ask him for the pre order. Normally you just advise Hiro that you would like a kit and they will email you back with price/availabilty etc:

champ_international@rc-champ.jp

:o

Yes, RC-Champ is always a smooth transaction. I just ordered two kits :P. Well, pre-ordered I guess .

To those UK buyers who bought a Buggy Champ from RC Champ....what was the shipping charge, and did you get hit by import duty?

I'd like to know this too! ;)

RC Champ are not prepared to quote on the shipping charge until the car is in their hands. I suggested they base it on the Buggy Champ price, but they wouldn't quote. It also depends how many cars you order.

Unlike certain other sellers, be aware that RC Champ are a professional company and won't take kindly to being asked to 'help' with customs charges. My best guess is weigh a buggy champ and look up the prices for Japan Post at Yahoo.co.jp.

Paul.

... UK buyers who bought a Buggy Champ from RC Champ ... did you get hit by import duty?
... it's £18 for merchandise, £36 for gifts ...

Goods sent as a gift that are over £36 in value are liable for import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

Please note, if you purchase goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a 'commercial consignment' for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).

If the cost of the SS2010 is £145, then there will be no customs duty as it will be less than £7 (customs duty is 2.5% of cost of goods), and so you will only be charged import duty, which is, VAT, which comes to £16.35 being the 15% for the excess amounts above £36. This will be raised soon to 17.5%? or higher? In addition you have to pay for administrative cost to the delivery company for handling the collection of the import duty, which may be a flat rate of £10 or otherwise.

(I believe my interpretation and calculation is correct, but do check for yourself)

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...cument#P45_3675

You pay the delivery company, eg Royal Mail, and they will not deliver the item until they have received the payment. (I know this because I bought some mountain biking stuff from the US not knowing ... blah blah blah ... but at least the price was still cheaper than if I had purchased it from the UK)

For goods purchased from outside the EU, which are not gifts with a value of £18, import duty will be charged.

Even second hand stuff bought from outside the EU will be charged as well!

This is something that I am not able accept, but you have to see it as though you are purchasing from a shop in the UK itself in which you will be charged VAT, but because it is always built into the price, you do not feel it as a pinch. In this instance, you have already paid for the item and the delivery charge, and you are only waiting for the knock on the door, but instead you get a note informing you to give the delivery company a call to ... pay ... AGAIN. ;)

Sorry if it feels as though I am ranting ...

It also used to be that you pay VAT on the cost of the shipping too and the service charge can be much higher. If it comes in as a parcel, it will probably come in Parcelforce and they have very high charges for import.

Paul.

I bought an led torch from the states, IIRC $40 or £25 , had to pay £2.26 duty but had to pay the Royal Mail £8 to collect it. I even had to pick it up myself as the postie doesn't handle cash

It's really quite simple. You used to get charged on stuff from USA when the item was put down on the customs form as being worth over 18 GBP, but in the great majority you would get away with no charges at all for stuff from HK.

Then a few years back they started to clamp down on it a lot more. Even on EMS'ed items I started to be hit.

You pay 8 GBP or 13.50 GBP if memory serves, for "Royal Mail Clearance Fee" if you do get hit. The amount seemed to depend on the weight I think. Plus a few quid of VAT (not much).

But you can still end up saving when UK retail is the usual IMHO preposterous amount.

Cheers,

ARG

It's really quite simple. You used to get charged on stuff from USA when the item was put down on the customs form as being worth over 18 GBP, but in the great majority you would get away with no charges at all for stuff from HK.

Then a few years back they started to clamp down on it a lot more. Even on EMS'ed items I started to be hit.

You pay 8 GBP or 13.50 GBP if memory serves, for "Royal Mail Clearance Fee" if you do get hit. The amount seemed to depend on the weight I think. Plus a few quid of VAT (not much).

But you can still end up saving when UK retail is the usual IMHO preposterous amount.

Cheers,

ARG

The chap at the local Parcel Force depot thought the £8/£13 difference might be because of express parcels - £13 being charged to pass it through the system faster

Unlike certain other sellers, be aware that RC Champ are a professional company and won't take kindly to being asked to 'help' with customs charges. My best guess is weigh a buggy champ and look up the prices for Japan Post at Yahoo.co.jp.

Paul.

I've always been able to have them reduce the cost on the customs form but it is at my own risk and I am a repeat customer ;).

I to have ordered mine from RC champ after i got my BC from them last year. I still saved even with paying customs parcelforce etc and got it before UK stores.

I recently ordered some more life batteries from rc champ and got charged the vat on it and the usual £13 parcel force fee! still cant even buy these in the UK!

By my pricing of what the BC cost to deliver including paypal charges and getting stung by customs etc lol im hoping it will be at the max £230, thats max

so could be less and should be less as last time i ordered the life battery and charger to so, delivery and paypal charges be more.

and will hopefully get the t-shirt to lol! I was going to just get the bodyset but thought that be to much hassle and have to wait then for it lol!

will certainly a bodyset though to do a diff paint job to!

planning to visit hongkong in April next year and so will be able to pick up a kit or 2.

hopefully the scorcher will be out by then and in stock ... ;)

I've always been able to have them reduce the cost on the customs form but it is at my own risk and I am a repeat customer :(.

You do need to be a bit careful doing that as it could be classed as VAT fraud. HMRC have been known to come calling, seizing computers and making offers of a large fine or prosecution.

Better to buy from a UK seller surely?
Better to buy from a UK seller if you want the back up in case you have a problem.

Better to buy from Japan or Hong Kong if you want to save £50-100 compared with the UK price, even including postage and duty.

Apologies for not having read this entire thread, but I'm simply too excited. Where is the best place to order one of these from in the UK? I don't want the hassle of customs duty etc, and would like, preferably some place I can pre-order and pick it up from. Most places in the UK are fine.

Fusion will take pre orders, I am sure some of the other sponsors like Time Tunnel will as well. Bear in mind the UK version has been confirmed (in fact any version outside Japan) as not coming with the first Japan release T-Shirt.

Paul.

Oh well, I hear the shirt is not 100% like the original anyway: The ink is not the same black, the material is not as material-ish, and the logo is spun 360 degrees on both the X and Y axis...... :) (NOTE: For those readers whose are about to git yer dander up, this is meant to be JUST A LIL' JOKE. Note the "LOL" emoticon. *******in' relax.) Chris

Oh well, I hear the shirt is not 100% like the original anyway: The ink is not the same black, the material is not as material-ish, and the logo is spun 360 degrees on both the X and Y axis...... :) Chris

lol!