Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

Wohoo!

Got mine from RC-Champ yesterday. With the t-shirt and the right rear cage.

No floating universals or lifting blisterpacks (except for around the tires and suspension arms). But that did not matter at all, as the car got built right away.

If only somebody could turn up the temperature outside. I want to paint it!

well...mine arrived today...but im not seeing a bag or a t-shirt....what the h?

is the bag in the box?

supposed to be for my B-day so im kinda not wanting to open til then....but now i just poked a hole in the shrinkwrap to open and stopped....so, should i call the placed where i ordered from right away and get my stuff that i should?

If you bought it inside the USA, it would be in the box. We placed them in there before shrink wrapping them.

If you bought it inside the USA, it would be in the box. We placed them in there before shrink wrapping them.

sheeeewww...yes i did buy it in the U.S.

thank goodness my will power is pretty good and i resisted for a little while(it was very hard,i almost started sweating real bad)

thanks for the info!

I was supposed to have mine tonight but stupid tower hobbies sent a micro plane instead.

Some poor guy on a plane forum somewhere is probably saying "Tower Hobbies sent me a stupid toy car instead....."

some clueless kid out there might be trying to get his new lump of potmetal & styrene airborne... :huh::huh: ...where's the Estes rockets & firecrackers??

Hey there chaps. Thought I'd share my current collection with ya. The bug on the Right with the Kamtec shell is my NEW 2010 Scorcher, haven't built the shell yet. Then there is the Blue '79 Scorcher, Then my Red n White Monster Beetle, and finally my MB Rat. Great day at the beach. Check my youtoob footage of the 2010 Scorcher. Search for karooha.

post-32607-1267999055_thumb.jpg

This may have been brought up with the re-release of the rough rider, but I noticed that the manual doesn't call for using silicone sealent on the gear casing halves.

I wonder why not? I thought it was important to keep out as much as possible the dirt and water.

This may have been brought up with the re-release of the rough rider, but I noticed that the manual doesn't call for using silicone sealent on the gear casing halves.

I wonder why not? I thought it was important to keep out as much as possible the dirt and water.

It's cheaper to not supply the silicone sealant in the kit.

Here is what I used for both the Buggy Champ and Sand Scorcher:

This stuff does NOT smell like vinegar and smells exactly like the original Tamiya silicone sealant in the little tube if you remember those:

dap08770.jpg

Dap 08770 silicone sealant. Available at: Local hardware store (maybe, it's not easy to find) and Amazon.com.

This syringe allowed me to put a very fine bead all along one of the gearcase halves which minimized (and practically eliminated) excess sealant that would make things unsightly. We've all seen the Bruiser and Mountaineer transmissions that look like they were smeared in the stuff with no attempt to clean it up before it dried:

syringe.jpg

Available at: Local hobby store (maybe) and Tower Hobbies and other online retailers.

nice collection....

100_2420.jpg100_2386.jpg

well i left my 2010 in the box and just threw together a 81 chassis and a old 86 monster beetle body that i modified with side mirrors, door handles, and clear taillights.

:)

You can also get Silicone Sealant that does not cure using Acetic acid from B&Q as well, it's the one in the green tube by Unibond ;-

http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/a...atherframe.html

...it is also extremely tenacious (grips better than any sealant I ever saw). You can if needed get it off with White Spirit ( Mineral Spirits ) either before or after curing. I have used it on my own original F150 XLT SRB gearbox castings.

If you only sealant one side and then leave to cure for 24 hours then you can still have a good seal and also still be able to get the thing apart again which is essential when e.g. needing to clean a ball differential after using it near the seaside ( salt water will corrode a diff. making it useless within a few days so some members here told me).

A cheapo syringe off Ebay is what I used to apply it with.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Question for those who have built their 2010....

Has anyone else noticed the bumpstops on the front arms graze against the sides of the nose cone?.... Or is this just a Sand Scorcherizm in general?

You can also get Silicone Sealant that does not cure using Acetic acid from B&Q as well, it's the one in the green tube by Unibond ;-

http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/a...atherframe.html

...it is also extremely tenacious (grips better than any sealant I ever saw). You can if needed get it off with White Spirit ( Mineral Spirits ) either before or after curing. I have used it on my own original F150 XLT SRB gearbox castings.

If you only sealant one side and then leave to cure for 24 hours then you can still have a good seal and also still be able to get the thing apart again which is essential when e.g. needing to clean a ball differential after using it near the seaside ( salt water will corrode a diff. making it useless within a few days so some members here told me).

A cheapo syringe off Ebay is what I used to apply it with.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Again, thats why I was asking if anyone made gasket sets. I wonder if this would be easy to do with some stock gasket material. Would have to be very thin though...

3 gaskets would be all that is needed. Gearbox, motor cover, and gear cover.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Hi all,

Got confirmation today from the Japanese friend who usually send me stuff that the 2009 BC and 2010 SS will be very short runs.

So don't expect them to stay around for a year I think.

Boooo... Tamiya

Jerome

Hi all,

Got confirmation today from the Japanese friend who usually send me stuff that the 2009 BC and 2010 SS will be very short runs.

So don't expect them to stay around for a year I think.

Boooo... Tamiya

Jerome

with the BC already discountinued...it would be a good assumption that the SS will be(my guess) stop production in august...

Evo site has this short video of the life sized Scorcher used at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. Thought you would all like it!

OMG!!! I was about to clap may hands to!!!

Badboy

I got word from my head office at work that we are expecting 2 more deliveries of the Sand Scorcher, the last one being in May.

Im guessing that is the cut of date for the kit however no word on body sets.

Also the Thorp diff is soon to be released in "limited numbers" for RRP £29.99, Concequently I have ordered a few for myself at that price :]

Will be interesting to see if the repro ones on Ebay will adjust their prices to compete with Tamiyas own.

Either way if you are after a Tamiya Thorp diff get your orders in quick as they appear to be very limited to avoid missing out.

anyone's rear cage not aligning?

I got it from rc-champ and it's the T-shirt version