Leckster

Sand Scorcher 2009

JR and Stella have the body sets on the web. I would suggest Stella's online store as they are only $32.30. :)

Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

QB

Just in case this hasn't been mentioned already, the article in Evo magazine includes official confirmation that the 2010 Sand Scorcher was cast from new molds. Fumito Taki says:

"We never kept the original molds and tooling, so when Mr Tamiya wanted to re-release it I had to redesign it from the original in our Museum! Measuring it and using CAD, I did it in three weeks. I designed the original model using pen and paper."

I may copy this post in a couple of relevant threads, in case it helps settle some debate :lol:

cheers,

H.

Just in case this hasn't been mentioned already, the article in Evo magazine includes official confirmation that the 2010 Sand Scorcher was cast from new molds. Fumito Taki says:

"We never kept the original molds and tooling, so when Mr Tamiya wanted to re-release it I had to redesign it from the original in our Museum! Measuring it and using CAD, I did it in three weeks. I designed the original model using pen and paper."

I may copy this post in a couple of relevant threads, in case it helps settle some debate :lol:

cheers,

H.

Well he did a **** job then. :D

Fumito Taki says:

Ah. So it's his fault that we didn't get the wheel arches we all know and love? :lol:

Fumito Taki says:

Odd? I thought the SS2010 body was simply the Blitzer Beetle injection moulded in white instead of black? Why on earth would they go to the expense of creating a new mould from scratch when they already had a "suitable" mould?

Sorry but something about this article smells fishy to me, sounds like bad journalism or someone has their wires crossed...

Wonder if something got lost in translation LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Hi,

The body molds for the re-re SS are Blitzer Beetle 100% ..! If you have a re-re SS kit you can see inside the body and roof part the previous used areas from the Blizter Beetle/Monster Beetle body were the old holes are located to attach the body to Blitzer Chassis OR Monster Beetle Chassis.You can drill the existing marks and you have a white Monster Beetle body 100% the same as the old one.

This is what I can see by comparing all my Beetle bodies that I have,From original SS to white MB to Red MB to Black Blitzer to re-re SS.......... :lol:

I am not sure what happend with the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ .A logic conclusion is that the RR body molding was not kept in any kind of form since they never use this body on another chassis.Are we sure he was talking about the SS body or just for the SRB release in general.?

Beetle body was used until some years ago so the molding was used in one way or another and Blitzer shell are still available for sale.

Just my 2p....

Cheers..

Thanos

i think he was talking about the mechanicals of the car, not the bodyset, as mentioned above...

Yes, as mentioned, the quote never specifically refers to the body.

So maybe Fumito was referring to whatever parts they didn't already have. It makes sense that they would use any molds that were still available. But aside of the body, perhaps what Fumito is saying is they had to make molds for everything else.

This info may help collectors. i.e. If you want to be pedantic about it, the 2010 Sand Scorcher and Rough Riders are actually more like "remakes", not re-releases. The term "re-release" sort of suggests (to me anyway) they just dusted off the old molds and poured new plastic and metal into them....like a continuation of the same production after a delay of many years. But that is not the case here. Instead, they had to recreate almost the whole car.

This makes the new models even less "original", and means the collector value of the original cars shouldn't (in my view, at least!) change at all. Of course they still will - because in the opinion of many casual observers, the two versions look "close enough". But those who care about the details now know for sure (if they didn't already know from all the analysis here!) that they are completely new cars.

Lastly, the article in Evo seemed quite well written. I don't work for the magazine though! But if a direct quote from Fumito is automatic cause for suspicion, it could apply to other interviews too.

cheers,

H.

The revelation that they don't have original molds, or that they can make new molds so easily, comes as no surprise to me at all really; Technology in this area has progressed quite a bit since the late 70s. 3 dimensional scanner beds are common in the industry nowadays, and cavitation machines can make molds that engineers could only dream of 30 years ago.

I agree with you though, H -- Something about knowing that the plastic came from the old original hand-fabricated molds means a lot to me in terms of nostalgia. The level of precision from this era is a truly unique moment in history. It was a boom time for Japan in those days, and Tamiya really seized the moment by creating such labor intensive designs. The amount of effort they put into their molds back then will never be equaled IMO. I also think things would have continued this way if it weren't for the Japanese economy taking a bad turn in the 90s. Instead we've progressed into a more mass consumer goods type of models, that make better business sense, and possess broader 'appeal'... Just like anything else, really ;):D

-Steve

The revelation that they don't have original molds, or that they can make new molds so easily, comes as no surprise to me at all really; Technology in this area has progressed quite a bit since the late 70s. 3 dimensional scanner beds are common in the industry nowadays, and cavitation machines can make molds that engineers could only dream of 30 years ago.

-Steve

Having used a 3d scanner for my 3d work its not as straight forward as it seems. On certain surfaces with curves in more than one direction the scanner builds the closest aproximation it can produce using flat polygons. It has no discipline in terms of using 4 sided neat and even polygons that can be smoothed later. The result being a very dense difficult to edit chaotic mesh that can drive a CNC machine nuts as the polys are where it gets its co ordinates from.

I can see why if they have a close mould already in place that it would make better economic sense to use it.

infact, i'm pretty dang sure that this exact subject and similar quote came up in the buggy champ 2009 thread...

Alloy wheel covers added for a boxart finish:

img1675_30032010193938_1.jpg

Or these if you prefer:

img1675_30032010193938_2.jpg

Please check my traderoom if interested.

Having used a 3d scanner for my 3d work its not as straight forward as it seems. On certain surfaces with curves in more than one direction the scanner builds the closest approximation it can produce using flat polygons. It has no discipline in terms of using 4 sided neat and even polygons that can be smoothed later. The result being a very dense difficult to edit chaotic mesh that can drive a CNC machine nuts as the polys are where it gets its co ordinates from.

I can see why if they have a close mould already in place that it would make better economic sense to use it.

I am quite positive that there are scanners available that are better than the machine you have at your place. Knowing of Tamiya's relentless pursuit of both detail and efficiency, you can bet they have the best that money and time will allow. Apparently Stanford University made a scanner that recorded Michelangelo's chisel marks in David, but took an entire 5 months to complete one scan!

Like you say, whatever makes the best economic sense - Which is why machine marks are visible all over the newest molds. :lol:

-S

Any news about the SRB-diff?

I've been searching but nothing

Badboy

BadBoy - TowerHobbies has had them listed for months now, but they keep pushing back the date - now says 'Due in Late April'.

BadBoy - TowerHobbies has had them listed for months now, but they keep pushing back the date - now says 'Due in Late April'.

I'd search TH but I couldn't find it!!!

Link please!

Badboy

Any news about the SRB-diff?

I've been searching but nothing

Badboy

They are starting to appear, i just bought one on the Bay from a Singapore seller (Top rated Seller), only had one up for sale for 35,9$ USD, 84113 part#. :D

Here the pic of the listing.

ssballdiff.jpg

Bye

WWD

;)

Just got an email notification this morning:

" item #84113 - RC Ball Diff for Buggy Champ

As of today, this item may be purchased on TamiyaUSA.com "

Here's the link:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=84113

...they're $40 at TamiyaUSA, but Tower has them listed for 34.99 minus whatever discount I ordered them with, yet still not available until 'LateApril'.

Thet are starting to appear. JR had 10 which went very quickly for $32 a piece and shipping of $4 for the first one and $2 thereafter. I note there is no mention of it being a limited edition hop up on the packaging. Does anyone actually know?

Thet are starting to appear. JR had 10 which went very quickly for $32 a piece and shipping of $4 for the first one and $2 thereafter. I note there is no mention of it being a limited edition hop up on the packaging. Does anyone actually know?

I got 2 of those :blink: Needed only 1 for now but I also read somewhere that it would be a limited run so I thought I put 1 in store for future car. Made a search a few minutes ago but I didn´t find it anywhere. Why would MrT do a limited run anyway ??

I got 2 of those :D Needed only 1 for now but I also read somewhere that it would be a limited run so I thought I put 1 in store for future car. Made a search a few minutes ago but I didn´t find it anywhere. Why would MrT do a limited run anyway ??

Sunday morning ( early as h... ) There are now 10 ball diffs avaible at a big auction site. Hurry up before the "buy-it-cheap-sell on-expensive" guys grab them :lol:

ssballdiff.jpg

The two characters on the top left of the packaging mean limited.

The writing in the red bar says RC limited parts.

Well that is how I read it with my limited Japanese.

Could just mean they're not committed to keeping that as a stock item indefinitely.

interesting that the red tag 53/54xxx aren't "limited edition"...

DSC01753s.jpg

Wonder if some are more 'limited' than others, like the tags with no printing even.

Gold tags = show specials? but they still turnup outside of shows.