Chutneypundit

Off Road Truck....

Hi Folks,

I've suddenly got a hankering for an off-road truck. Not a Jeep, or a Hilux-type thang. But something BIG like a Tatra Dakar-style beast! Are there any companies that do them, or will I have to up my modelling skills somewhat?

I'm probably going to get an XC machine too - it has to be a scale model, I'm not really into these 'monster-truck-style' crawlers, where each tyre is as big as the cab :) All I can really find are the CC-01 based kits. Are there any others out there anyone would recommend?

Something like THIS?

Looking at all that guys videos, he's got quite a few of this type of truck.

Yep - that's the exact vid that got me thinking. And this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqUllDUsc4...feature=related.

Basically I want something like a military truck (Volvo, or Tatra, say) or a scale Unimog to go XC'ing. I've just completed my Touareg (see showroom) and built it without the locked rear diff. But I've been taken more and more with XC off-roading with it. I've got an idea for a 'live action' roleplaying scenario, based around a small convoy of off-road vehicles, and I want all the vehicles (probably three) to be different - so a long wheelbase land rover, a Jeep and a bigger truck, say. Got plenty of ideas for the first two, but the truck seems way beyond my modelling skills (and time)...

Wow... it keeps coming back to the CC-01 which, since I built my Touareg, I've realised is quite a substantial, and versatile chassis. It's really good fun to race, and it makes a good XC trail buggy. Looks like I'm going to have to save up... :rolleyes:

Oh dear - the bar has been raised VERY high :rolleyes: That truck is absolutely amazing. I can't believe Tamiya don't make something like this - it's a no-brainer. I don't have any figures in front of me, but I would put money on big XC-style enduro buggies (e.g. Dakar & Baja trucks, and these Tatra-style Dakar) being a big growth area in this hobby. I mean, look at the explosion of Stadium/Short Course truck-thangs. One of these big fellas would fly off the shelves!

im waiting for tamiya to replace the cc01, having had a few, they are very capable but let down by the front end, when i look at friends with there scx10's i find myself wanting one. sorry guys.

im waiting for tamiya to replace the cc01, having had a few, they are very capable but let down by the front end, when i look at friends with there scx10's i find myself wanting one. sorry guys.

Well I took my Dakar Touareg out on the dunes with a mate. He had a Desert Gator that ripped about, did trials stuff, and basically out-performed the CC-01 on every level. Admittedly I hadn't locked the rear diff, but generally speaking it just dug itself in and, worse, sand got into the tunnel that the steering linkage(?) travels down through (from above the chassis, down to the steering arms) and after five minutes completely jammed. Took me ten minutes to undo everything, worm it free, clean it and pack the whole thing with JCB(!) grease to try and keep the sand out. It semed to work, but I was so diaapointed that my Dakar purchase was terrible in 'dakar conditions' and a standard 'toy-like' 2WD buggy blasted around with no hassles :)

Well I took my Dakar Touareg out on the dunes with a mate. He had a Desert Gator that ripped about, did trials stuff, and basically out-performed the CC-01 on every level. Admittedly I hadn't locked the rear diff, but generally speaking it just dug itself in and, worse, sand got into the tunnel that the steering linkage(?) travels down through (from above the chassis, down to the steering arms) and after five minutes completely jammed. Took me ten minutes to undo everything, worm it free, clean it and pack the whole thing with JCB(!) grease to try and keep the sand out. It semed to work, but I was so diaapointed that my Dakar purchase was terrible in 'dakar conditions' and a standard 'toy-like' 2WD buggy blasted around with no hassles :(

Quick fixes for that:

1. Pack that tunnel with thick grease (ie Tamiya AW grease to call or Associate Green Slime). Yes, the attract dirt sand etc but if the center of the tunnel to concern, they will block it.

2. Change the stock (soft) plastic servo saver. It is too weak to transfer power from servo the linkage. The sand gets to it quicker than it moves the linkage :):):) Get Kimbrough or Tamiya heavier duty servo saver or better yet, get the aluminum ones :o

3. Get higher torque servo. The CC01 is heavier than Desert Gator, no? That is the reason why the DG can glide through the sand whilst the CC01 just dug itself in the hole. The sand is kinda sticky by the beach because it has so much moisture in it. The higher torque servo (most likely higher speed as well) will help it guide to better path quicker and sooner. Better yet, it will cope with the weight better than radio stock servos!

best of luck and have fun!

Quick fixes for that:

1. Pack that tunnel with thick grease (ie Tamiya AW grease to call or Associate Green Slime). Yes, the attract dirt sand etc but if the center of the tunnel to concern, they will block it.

2. Change the stock (soft) plastic servo saver. It is too weak to transfer power from servo the linkage. The sand gets to it quicker than it moves the linkage :blink::)B) Get Kimbrough or Tamiya heavier duty servo saver or better yet, get the aluminum ones :o

3. Get higher torque servo. The CC01 is heavier than Desert Gator, no? That is the reason why the DG can glide through the sand whilst the CC01 just dug itself in the hole. The sand is kinda sticky by the beach because it has so much moisture in it. The higher torque servo (most likely higher speed as well) will help it guide to better path quicker and sooner. Better yet, it will cope with the weight better than radio stock servos!

best of luck and have fun!

Well hopefully the JCB grease takes care of suggestion 1) :)

I'm thinking of fitting fatter tyres too - any suggestion for tyres that would fit the stock wheels?