tpsolid

Beefed Up Frog / Brat Gearbox Plates

Im gonna get these made from machine shop. I made it 3mm thick just to be super strong. Should I ask for 6061-t6 or 7075-t6 alum?

platebrat2.JPG

Im gonna get these made from machine shop. I made it 3mm thick just to be super strong. Should I ask for 6061-t6 or 7075-t6 alum?

platebrat2.JPG

Both grades of aluminum are super hard.. Total overkill for Frog gearbox plates -I love it-!!!

7075-t6 is aircraft grade aluminum if I am not mistaken.. Basically you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Great idea, love it!! I think that 6086 is also a good grade and these days more readily available than 6061. Any grade ally in 3mm will be more than strong enough! You going to polish them too?

ALright i guess 6061. Probably polish it myself since the shop charges for it.

You might want to ask which of the material is preferred from the shop (or which they have more experience working with.)

From your drawing there is some large area milling involved, and for a fine surface finish (if you do not want to polish), some super hard alloys work against smooth surfaces under the millling head-

Best is your shop uses polycrystalene diamond tools (PCD-inserts) in the milling head. Ask them before placing the order.

:(

They look really nice, but I have never had a problem with the gearbox plates warping. Is it only a problem with the stock transmission? because I use a thorp and have no problem.

They look really nice, but I have never had a problem with the gearbox plates warping. Is it only a problem with the stock transmission? because I use a thorp and have no problem.

I have some problems with my plates bending outwards where the diff is. I bent the plates back since I dont have any shims. I think the thorp is screw together right?

I have some problems with my plates bending outwards where the diff is. I bent the plates back since I dont have any shims. I think the thorp is screw together right?

OldFrogShot's Screw Mod solves this bending of plates problem at least with the stock differential ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...74&sid=3142

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Seems to me that thicker sideplates would prevent some problems to happen. I wonder if you got some of those done?

I forget about this thread and the plates haha.

I can try and get 2 made to test out and let u guys know how it goes. I am hoping the stock screws are long enough.