subsea

Tamiya Mini Racing

I am going to Weeting Car Club tonight for the first time to race my Mini. Never done this before, only every bashed around Snetterton and raced a little on 1/12th oval stock. Anyone else here race at Weeting? What can i expect/need/?

Skip665 does, so does Adam1973, I'm going tonight for my first time actually racing too, see you there ;)

A well screwed together car with scrubbed tyres & stable radio gear are probably the most important.

A 3ch receiver,or a Y lead for the transponder too.

Cool. Look forward to seeing you again Russ. I know Ian will be there tonight as well.

I wont need a 3ch receiver,or a Y lead for the transponder as i dont have a transponder yet. If i enjoy mini racing and become a regular i will buy myself one.

What a great nights racing! Will be going back next week. Just got to sort my tyres out as all i had was grip roll. Any advice?

Lower the ride height.

Stiffer front springs.

Cover the outside rims in super glue or something that won't grip to carpet, so it slides went it starts to roll.

Buy a M05

We have 4 of us with mini's that regularly race in a car park with some fire hose. Some of us are toying with going racing also.

What a scream, I had a big grin on my face all night.

I ran a set of scrubbed in kit tyres for the first heat - no grip for acceleration, no turn in, major understeer, lots of crashes.

Second heat I ran a set of borrowed no name tyres (Thanks Ian) - loads more grip, way too much steering, thank god for variable rate. Once the tyres were properly warm they were great, approaching grip roll, but lifting slightly on the approach into the corner seemed to help. I made a decent start (even in the lead at one point, but only because everyone else crashed :) ) then it all went to pot at the 4 minute mark & I was back to last.

Having qualified dead last for the C final, I was a little more relaxed. I still hadn't got the steering rate quite right, but the car was fairly predictable now. I made a good start & was midfield for a good part of the race, then a rear tyre slipped of the rim (I didn't realise they weren't glued :( ) & the steering went to pot so I pitted & reaseated the tyre putting me last again, I made up a place, & flipped the tyre off again but managed to drive it back on somehow with 30 secs to go & managed to save grace by finishing 4th.

I just love running on carpet. I was using Mardave stock driving style and it paid off would have won the B final if i hadn't of grip rolled on the second to last lap.

Not such a successful time for me - hit the track marker and broke the brass steering ball joint out of the upright which oval-ed the hole. Fixed that by putting the brass ball joints in the two holes more further forward. This then gave me too much steering so I was getting more grip roll :( Got hit early on in the second heat and the "C" part of the servo saver snapped so I had no steering! Third heat was better but as the car felt "wrong" because of the steering arms I was being cautious so only managed to bring it home in 3rd.

would have won the B final if i hadn't of grip rolled on the second to last lap.

That was such a shame as you had lead for so long too! Good to meet you by the way Simon.

I had the same thing in the C Final - Steve and I had a great battle and if it wasn't for hitting someones leg who was fixing the track marker I could have taken it!

Oh well, thats racing I guess!

Roll on next week! :)

P.S Texted Adam and will be collecting his transponder hopefully before the next meeting so thats one extra.

P.S Texted Adam and will be collecting his transponder hopefully before the next meeting so thats one extra.

Where is he getting it from? Only place i can see is in Newmarket and they want about £90 inc delivery.

I'm gonna sell a few bits to get some money for transponder and mini parts (maybe even a M05). Anyone want to buy a TT01 Drift spec no elec/Mardave stock car/Mardave mini stock?

Where is he getting it from? Only place i can see is in Newmarket and they want about £90 inc delivery.

He already has it - Adam was racing up to the summer break so has one of the club ones on his car.

£90 delivered seems to be the going rate but I think the club want to keep them all "in house".

Tried to email the club but the address dont work. suppose i will have to wait till next Wednesday night and ask someone up there.

You can all fight over Adams next week (if I get it in time) :blink:

How much he want for it? that's if it's for sale

Simon you arent listening to me :blink:

It belongs to the club - all the ones we are using do! What I mean is that someone will be able to use it at every meeting from now on but you will have to fight over who! (Or someone from the committee will decide I guess)

i'll make sure i'm there nice and early next week then. With money ready to join the club. How much is it to join?

Is Adam not racing anymore?

i'll make sure i'm there nice and early next week then. With money ready to join the club. How much is it to join?

Is Adam not racing anymore?

Get there between 7 and 7:15 to help setting up - more hands to the pumps gets it done quicker :blink:

Its £45 a year (roughly) which includes the BRCA membership - speak to Simon Long as he is the treasurer.

Hopefully he will again but just not at the moment (life has got in the way)

is it really worth becoming a member when the year is nearly up? Might just pay for everytime i race this year then join in January.

I'll save the money and not buy a transponder and by a Y lead instead and wait for a club transponder.

Hey guys I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I want to buy a Mini chassis. Which one do you think I should get. The M-03R or wait for the M-05pro? This will be my first mini chassis so could someone bring me up to speed on the pros/cons of the two. I am not a newbie to rc racing but like I said this will be my first FWD chassis.

Hey guys I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I want to buy a Mini chassis. Which one do you think I should get. The M-03R or wait for the M-05pro? This will be my first mini chassis so could someone bring me up to speed on the pros/cons of the two. I am not a newbie to rc racing but like I said this will be my first FWD chassis.

It all depends on where you are gonna use it. I started by running a Mini on a big outdoor track and found that the M03R was best but indoor on carpet a standard with no hop-ups is best.

I have been told that the M05 is great cause of the low CofG like the early M chassis.

is it really worth becoming a member when the year is nearly up? Might just pay for everytime i race this year then join in January.

I'll save the money and not buy a transponder and by a Y lead instead and wait for a club transponder.

lol - you really need to speak to someone in charge - they don't work it like that - they don't want people to pay every week as someone has to look after small change etc - wait until next Wednesday and then speak to the John, Steve or Colin.

It all depends on where you are gonna use it. I started by running a Mini on a big outdoor track and found that the M03R was best but indoor on carpet a standard with no hop-ups is best.

I have been told that the M05 is great cause of the low CofG like the early M chassis.

I plan on running on a outdoor 1/10 on-road track.

lol - you really need to speak to someone in charge - they don't work it like that - they don't want people to pay every week as someone has to look after small change etc - wait until next Wednesday and then speak to the John, Steve or Colin.

I'll have a chat with John. Had a good laugh with him on Wednsday night.

I plan on running on a outdoor 1/10 on-road track.

Well i ran my M03 with a 9x2 motor in it around Snetterton. it stuck to the track like glue. only hopups i had on were anti roll bars, oil shocks and alloy motor mount.

stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my mini last night. Lightly greased gears, water dipped motor, stuck receiver and tamiya esc inside rear of chassis(lower CofG), re-filled shocks and increased firmness of front shocks. Need to loose the grip roll, need to beat Ian lol.