subsea

Tamiya Mini Racing

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the reply fella, was a great help :angry:

Were you at the club last Friday night? You might have seen me and the gf loitering around at the far end of the track, watching the action unfold :D

Cris

Yes I was there, Finished 4th in the A final.

The more Mini's there better. We must be up to about 15 if you're running a pair.

Ok i took the plunge yesterday and bought a second hand M05 Pro. Last night i stripped and rebuilt using the Alloy motor mount the seller had enclosed trouble came when i tried to attach a 16t pinion. It made the gearbox very tight, i tried moving it to the 18t hole on the mount and now it seems fine. Any ideas why?

Im guessing that either your 16T pinion isnt actually a 16T pinion :angry:

or

the internal gears have been changed out to something different to stock?

But, I am no expert by any means :D

Ok i took the plunge yesterday and bought a second hand M05 Pro. Last night i stripped and rebuilt using the Alloy motor mount the seller had enclosed trouble came when i tried to attach a 16t pinion. It made the gearbox very tight, i tried moving it to the 18t hole on the mount and now it seems fine. Any ideas why?

Gearing changes Simon?! Sounds like cheating to me! ;)

Could it be that someone has fitted the 3Racing Speed Gear Set for the M05? Or indeed the 16t pinion is actually an 18t!

Well the first thing i checked was that the pinion did have 16 teeth and it does. That means that either the motor mount (i think it's yeah or 3 racing) is poo or the guy i bought it off has changed the gears for 3racing ones. Looks like i will be stripping it again tonight.

I have heared that people had trouble with yeah racing motor mounts on the M03/M04 not letting the gears mesh correctly it might be the same here. The trouble with the M05 is you cant see the mesh like you could on the M03.

I did look into the 3racing gear set Skip and it gives you top end and not the acceleration like we need on our track. The only difference between mine and Ian's is that i have Blue ball joints, blue nuts, Titanium screw set (came with car), carbon gear shafts (came with car) and UJ's (came with car). I have fitted the stock friction shocks to it instead of the brittle clear shocks and poo 3racing alloy ones it came with too.

Well the first thing i checked was that the pinion did have 16 teeth and it does. That means that either the motor mount (i think it's yeah or 3 racing) is poo or the guy i bought it off has changed the gears for 3racing ones. Looks like i will be stripping it again tonight.

I have heared that people had trouble with yeah racing motor mounts on the M03/M04 not letting the gears mesh correctly it might be the same here. The trouble with the M05 is you cant see the mesh like you could on the M03.

I did look into the 3racing gear set Skip and it gives you top end and not the acceleration like we need on our track. The only difference between mine and Ian's is that i have Blue ball joints, blue nuts, Titanium screw set (came with car), carbon gear shafts (came with car) and UJ's (came with car). I have fitted the stock friction shocks to it instead of the brittle clear shocks and poo 3racing alloy ones it came with too.

I have heard people call Yeah Racing "Yeah Right Racing" due to the dubious quality of some of their stuff so its quite likely.

Your M03 seemed pretty sorted though - you are well up the front of the 15 or so of us - why the change? Or is it a case of the devil makes work for all-day internet access?! :lol:

I found the gearing ratios for the M01 and it has taller gearing than the 03 or 05 so I am giving myself a disadvantage straight away - oh well ;)

Well the price i got it for a couldn't argue with it, plus watching Ian's go round made me think i must get one.

You may have taller gearing but you have the low CofG compared to the M03.

If i can't get it sorted before Wednesday night i will run with the M03 till i do. When i do move over to the M05 i will just turn the M03 back into a silly fast car or sell it on.

I now just need to sell the TT01 Drift spec so i can cover the cost of the M05. I know one of the guys up the club was talking about getting on but he aint been up for a few weeks now.

All this chitter chatter about CofG, does it really make a difference on a slow Mini with a massive shell on??

I know that in theory it will make a difference, but can anyone really feel it on the track?

I know in the Micro fraternity we all strive to get our ESC's down low, lower the CofG etc etc, but in all fairness ive never noticed a difference myself.

Any thoughts?

All this chitter chatter about CofG, does it really make a difference on a slow Mini with a massive shell on??

Yes, massively on the M03! Get it wrong and you’ll be in grip roll city!!!

Tamiya's whole marketing strategy for the M05 is based around its improved CofG. LOL

If you’re running the M03L I’d suggest sticking your ESC, Receiver and lead wieght in the back end of the chassis.

I know that in theory it will make a difference, but can anyone really feel it on the track?

I know in the Micro fraternity we all strive to get our ESC's down low, lower the CofG etc etc, but in all fairness ive never noticed a difference myself.

Any thoughts?

I have found that it does make a difference on a tight twisty track, getting the CofG low totally removed my grip roll. But that's just what i found.

Is the pinon a Tamyia jobby with the magical 0.6 pitch? I'm beting the answer is no ;)

Your right it's a RW Hard steel replacement.

Wow, see, im learning every time I come on this forum ;)

Now, im glad you mentioned lead weight. I will be running a very light YR 3200 lipo in the 03L. Now, do I add lead to the LiPo to weight it upto a NiMh weight, leave the LiPo as is and add the weight to the hollow part of the rear chassis, or a combination of both?

I know that alot of guys are saying that even with NiMh's they are suffering with too little grip on the rear, but would then adding lead to the back and keeping the middle light not help that?

Thanks again :lol:

Tamiya's whole marketing strategy for the M05 is based around its improved CofG. LOL

Which probably makes less difference than the improved front suspension geometry.

They've moved the inboard pivot point of the upper link & based on my rudimentary tests, it's got rid of the massive negative camber under compression which is evident in the M03.

Now, im glad you mentioned lead weight. I will be running a very light YR 3200 lipo in the 03L. Now, do I add lead to the LiPo to weight it upto a NiMh weight, leave the LiPo as is and add the weight to the hollow part of the rear chassis, or a combination of both?

Core RC do some handy strips of lead weight. They come in black and silver varies; you’ll probably want a couple of the silver sets for each car as they’re a lower profile. Put the Silver strips on the batteries and stuff 25-30 grams in the back of the chassis and rear bumper. The battery holder in the M03 chassis can be very tight with lead on the top and bottom of a LIPO so test fit the battery with lead on 1 side first.

I was given this advice by a guy who races mini's in the Tamiya Eurocup. "You want to get close to about 1400g inc shell, motor and battery. You want the front end to be slightly heavier than the rear. Stick on wheel weights for car tyre balancing are the best thing to use."

Whats a standard M03(L) with NiMh's in weigh? Roughly?

Ta ;)

Close to the clubs minium weight for the Mini class :lol:

According to the data pages here on TC, the M03 weighs 855g & the M03L weighs 878g, but that's probably without radio gear & battery.

Just weighed my M03 without battery but with radio gear, motor and body and it came to 922g.

Ok i have fixed the pinion meshing problem. It's the RW Pinions i ordered from Demon power products, they are a fraction bigger than the standard Tamiya alloy one. I have a feeling they may have sent me the wrong ones. Am i right in thinking i need 0.6 pitch for the M03/M05?

Just weighed my M03 without battery but with radio gear, motor and body and it came to 922g.

Thats annoying! I weighed my M03 and M01s last night - M01 939gms and M03 938gms

Must get lighter receiver/servos etc! :lol: