subsea

Tamiya Mini Racing

Well its the new year so a total refresh of my M01 was required. I totally stripped and cleaned every plastic part, blasted and re-oiled all the bearings, cleaned all the grease off the gears and in the diff. Whilst rebuilding it I fitted some nice M01 hop-ups I have been lucky enough to find here on Tamiyaclub :wacko: The motor heatsink is a far better design than the M03 one - it actually sits on the face of the motor so should at least take some of the heat from the motor rather than relying on the motor screws like the M03 one does :angry: The bushing set replaces all the step screws with top hat bushings and new screws which seem to allow the suspension to move nicer. The "pièce de résistance" though is the ultra-rare "Aluminum Racing Steering Set" that replaces the horrible plastic front swivel pieces with nylon top hat bushings and aluminium swivel pieces - very nice indeed ;) I realised at the last race of the year that the servo saver wasn't sitting properly on my posh Hitec servo so I bought a Kimbrough one to replace it - this meant that the standard M01 steering arm was too loose in the holes so I used a piece of 2mm threaded rod to replace it. Thats pretty much it - apart from a new sticker job on the shell which makes it look a little more "racer-ish" :)

I am the only racer at our club with an M01 (a fact which I quite like) so lets hope I can keep the car near the front to show all these M03 and M05 boys how its done ;)

Pics...

The chassis

DSC01158Medium.jpg

Kimbrough Servo Saver

DSC01159Medium.jpg

Aluminium Racing Steering Set

DSC01155Medium.jpg

Motor heatsink

DSC01161Medium.jpg

The sticker job...

DSC01163Medium.jpg

DSC01164Medium.jpg

DSC01166Medium.jpg

DSC01167Medium.jpg

DSC01168Medium.jpg

and my favourite sticker of all :D

DSC01165Medium.jpg

Hi gents, thought i better join in the action and find out why you are getting quick so fast! :angry:

Right, my M05 diff has sh%t itself, put new metal gears in from and m03 kit that i have. Diff is so tight is unreal. I thought these were exactly the same????

Hi gents, thought i better join in the action and find out why you are getting quick so fast! :wacko:

Right, my M05 diff has sh%t itself, put new metal gears in from and m03 kit that i have. Diff is so tight is unreal. I thought these were exactly the same????

Correct parts, setup and fiddling is key - well that or a set of XPA-118s :angry:

The diffs should be identical - you must have done something wrong ;) I have a couple of spare ones (M03 and TL01 which are identical) if you want me to bring one next week.

Looking at the manuals, they are slightly different, although it shouldn't cause the diff to be tight.

The gears in the M05 manual take the rectangular output shafts like the TT01, rather than the splined ones like most diffs prior to the TT01. It's been established in previous threads however, that the gears are the same dimensions

Hmm, I'd tear the diff down & check there's no casting flash left on the spider or bevel gears.

Also, try screwing it together without the shims, just to see if it's those that are binding.

Taken from the WMCC rule book as displayed on the website!

No ball differentials

:)

Problem solved, fitted a ball diff, goes like a rocket. hahaha

Cheating already!

Yer i was only joking! I fiddled with it and the output gears seem to have there own sides they fit in...problem solved now though.

Anyway the thing still don't handle so it may be back to the M03 for the new season. :)

Yer i was only joking! I fiddled with it and the output gears seem to have there own sides they fit in...problem solved now though.

Anyway the thing still don't handle so it may be back to the M03 for the new season. :)

Why do some people have such problems getting the M05 to work. Mine is kit standard and is perfect.

One thing i realised with it is that the bearings in the gears are a little sloppy. I gave them a small coat of superglue and now they aren't. Without glueing them i stripped one of the gears.

Why do some people have such problems getting the M05 to work. Mine is kit standard and is perfect.

I've noticed the people that struggle are setting them up like their old M03. Do that they handle like doo doo!

The M05 needs a softer set-up

some of the boys down here are finding M05 suits their driving, up to a whole lap faster than before

supposedly traction-rolls less than M03 once you've got the grip sorted out

One thing i realised with it is that the bearings in the gears are a little sloppy. I gave them a small coat of superglue and now they aren't. Without glueing them i stripped one of the gears.

It's probably because the differential bearings use plastic collars around them. Replacing those plastic collars with metal bushings of the same size should lesson the slop.

The M05 seems it has a mind of its own. Its so inconsistent. One lap it will be perfect then the next it will barrel roll of the track! I have noticed that the steering does not return to center when turned left. I have changed servo but this does not help, also backed of some of the screws but made no progress.

The M05 seems it has a mind of its own. Its so inconsistent. One lap it will be perfect then the next it will barrel roll of the track! I have noticed that the steering does not return to center when turned left. I have changed servo but this does not help, also backed of some of the screws but made no progress.

Do you want me to have look at it first night back racing?

That sounds almost exactly what happened to the guys at RC-Mini.net, non centring steering, inconsistent handling etc etc.

Their conclusion was that the M05 needs to be "broken in" as it's all too tight when it's newly built.

I'd persevere with it, after all we know it does work.

What tyres do you have on it ?

Their conclusion was that the M05 needs to be "broken in" as it's all too tight when it's newly built.

I'd persevere with it, after all we know it does work.

Got to agree with what they say though - you can build an M03 and know that its going to work straight away - who wants to turn up with an M05 and then spend a whole meeting "waiting" for it to sort itself out...

M01 FTW!!!11!! :)

I will see how it goes first meet but it is rather annoying. I running x press tyres at the minute. The steering is the main thing, I've tried a number of things but nothing changes. I will have a look at the servo saver later as that could be one of the problem areas. I think like that site said the M03 is so floppy from new but the M05 fits together much tighter and does need a lot of run time to get it to work.

I don't get how some people can build them out of the box and are perfect, i had a go with ians ages ago brought my 05 and is was shocking!

Big question, with the new body styles coming out, will most people alow the Hondas and the Nissans to run with the Mini's or are there going to be arguments about the "aero" design of the bodies, just lookin for input for rules at the local track--thanks all.