Bjoern

Top Force Evolution New Build

Weird - I have a set of Titanium hinge pins that were apparently from a TFE kit... :P

Sorry guys, looks like I may be dead wrong on this one; Thank you Alistair for confirming this! :(

So I wonder where my hinge pins came from.. Did GPM make a set like this?

-Steve

Lunsford makes titanium hinge pin sets for a variety of cars...

Have you started the build yet?

Personally, I would build it straight out of the box without any hop-ups, period or not.

If you happen to have the period hop ups, you can display them alongside the queen.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Have you started the build yet?

Personally, I would build it straight out of the box without any hop-ups, period or not.

If you happen to have the period hop ups, you can display them alongside the queen.

Just my 2 cents of course.

No, I haven't started the build. I ordered new ball bearings (1150, 850) and one set old but new in pack 730 bearings (because they are discontinued). I had a look at the included ball bearings and I think that the seals are not 100% closed.

I will also use new grease and new damper oil (yellow).

Bjoern

I found 53124 by reading the manual of another car (I don't know which one). On the backside of the package the TFE is mentioned. That's the only reason why I will mount it.

I think you can add these parts:

- 53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set (included in the TFE kit)

- 54075 - Ball-Head King Pins (2) TB-03, TRF416 (5x9mm Ball Heads fluorine coated to mount the lower 5mm damper adjuster)

- 53599 - Fluorine Coated 5mm Aluminum Ball Nut

- 53162 - (black) - Anodized Flange Lock Nuts

- 53601 - 5mm Adjuster (low friction = better than "your" 50875)

- 87099 - Tamiya Cera-Grease HG Boron Nitride Compound - better grease

- 53439 - AW Grease (drive shafts)

It is hard to build a TFE (especially with the aluminium drive gear :rolleyes: ) only with some Hop-Ups but I think when building a vintage TFE it is a must.

I'm unsure - should I also use the "53164 4WD Touring & Rally Car Hollow Carbon Gear Shaft Set"?

Hmm... well if you're going for period TFE Hop Ups then the list above will move you away from your target. Most were not released for the TFE (but are upgrades) and many are not period. Also lubricants and fluids are not typically considered "Hop Up's" although they technically can be.

- 54075 - Ball-Head King Pins (2) TB-03, TRF416 (5x9mm Ball Heads fluorine coated to mount the lower 5mm damper adjuster)

None of the above are period TFE Hop Up's as the term is commonly used.

The stainless suspension shafts come with the Hi Cap dampers so are therefore included in my build/list.

As for the 53164 I would suggest it's a far more appropriate period Hop Up than some of the items listed above so I would include it.

I choosed 53219 because of the included ball thrust bearing and because the TFE is also mentioned on the backside of the package.

I think the only part I forgot to list.

Should I install the set or not? Same "problem" with the speed tuned gear set.

I'm not sure but I don't think that the TFE kit contains Ti hinge pins. The 53098 stainless shaft set is also listed as a spare part / hop up in the TFE manual.

The stainless shaft set is not included in the (titanium) screw bags. The shafts are seperately packed.

Don't need to install the set, just the thrust bearing - the TFE has the rest in the kit. Would be less expensive just to get the bearing of course.

Most would recommend against the Speed Tuned Gears on the TFE because of the wheel size.

The TFE does not include Ti hinge pins - nor is a Tamiya set with the correct sizes available. The suspension shafts that are included in TFE kit are the stainless ones, I thought the 53098 was for the yellow CVA shocks? If it's not then it's a replacement for the TFE/Hi Cap, not a Hop Up. Either way, it's not a Hop Up for the TFE, don't waste your money.

Although the manula suggests the stainless pins as a spare/replacement, I can assure you that the hinge pins are made from titanium. Same goes for the turnbuckles and most of the hardware.

Afraid not. The hinge pins and the turnbuckles in the TFE are stainless - as are the suspension shafts.

I really think you need to be sure - are you trying to build the best TFE, or the best "Period, Tamiya-only, TFE" - I think your mission is a bit confused. I can assure you, if you refer back to the original build thread you'll have all the information you need to go either way. I've built, raced and Hoped-Up five different TFE's in my time (and still have my cherrished NIB!).

Hmm... well if you're going for period TFE Hop Ups then the list above will move you away from your target. Most were not released for the TFE (but are upgrades) and many are not period. Also lubricants and fluids are not typically considered "Hop Up's" although they technically can be.

None of the above are period TFE Hop Up's as the term is commonly used.

Misunderstanding. I don't want to use the parts above for my "best period, Tamiya-only, TFE". I only mentioned the parts because you asked for parts not listed in your post http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31350

The stainless suspension shafts come with the Hi Cap dampers so are therefore included in my build/list.

53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set does not come with the Hi Cap dampers. The Suspension Shaft Set includes the shafts for the suspension arms - not for the dampers - not included in your build/list.

As for the 53164 I would suggest it's a far more appropriate period Hop Up than some of the items listed above so I would include it.

I was unsure but now I will use 53164.

Don't need to install the set, just the thrust bearing - the TFE has the rest in the kit. Would be less expensive just to get the bearing of course.

I still have 2 sets (53219). The TFE is mentioned on the package. The set is a Tamiya TFE Hop Up.

Most would recommend against the Speed Tuned Gears on the TFE because of the wheel size.

I will not use them. YOU can use 2 sets 50529. You need 2 sets because the TF has 2 ball diffs. The set contains a 74T one-piece plastic gear.

The TFE does not include Ti hinge pins - nor is a Tamiya set with the correct sizes available. The suspension shafts that are included in TFE kit are the stainless ones, I thought the 53098 was for the yellow CVA shocks? If it's not then it's a replacement for the TFE/Hi Cap, not a Hop Up. Either way, it's not a Hop Up for the TFE, don't waste your money.

Afraid not. The hinge pins and the turnbuckles in the TFE are stainless - as are the suspension shafts.

53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set does not come with the Hi Cap dampers. The Suspension Shaft Set includes the shafts for the suspension arms - not for the dampers - not included in your build/list. Only the TFE kit contains the 53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set. The Top Force kit (58100) does NOT include the stainless set - believe me ;).

I think that my list is complete for a "best period, Tamiya only TFE":

- 53056 - Pin Type Wheel Adapter

- 53219 - Touring Car Aluminum Pressure Plate Set (includes 1 piece thrust bearing)

- 53142 - Tamiya 4WD Touring & R Car Aluminum Motor Mount

- 53062 - 7010W Rotor For Dynatech 02H Motor (10T)

- 53044 - DYNATECH 02H MOTOR

- 53124 - 3mm Tungsten Diff Ball Set

- 53164 Carbon gear shaft set

- (53055 Racing Rear wing set)

- 53008 - 1150 ball bearings

- 53030 - 850 ball bearings

- 53047 - 730 ball bearins

Bjoern glad you've decided which hop-ups to use, hope you enjoy the build and please let us see it when finished ;)

I still have 2 sets (53219). The TFE is mentioned on the package. The set is a Tamiya TFE Hop Up.

Well, you've put doubt in my mind and my old race gear is 18,000k's away but I still believe the TFE kit contains all of the 53219 except the thrust bearing. I was just confirming that, since you have the TFE kit, you should be able to fully Hop Up with just the thrust bearing. Perhaps my memory doesn't serve me that well now though... I do live in Amsterdam. Your final confirmation would be appreciated.

53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set does not come with the Hi Cap dampers. The Suspension Shaft Set includes the shafts for the suspension arms - not for the dampers - not included in your build/list. Only the TFE kit contains the 53098 - Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set. The Top Force kit (58100) does NOT include the stainless set - believe me ;).

My bad, I was obviously thinking of a different part. Yes, yhe 53098 is a TA02 part that will retrofit to the 01 chassis. I never checked but would be stunned if the Top Force range didn't have them included. Chassis listings on retail Hop Up packs indicate compatibility remember, the part may actually be a "Spare" for some kits. Again you can test with a magnet and confirm for us all since you have them on the way!

I think that my list is complete for a "best period, Tamiya only TFE":

Well there's not much else you could do! :( Perhaps you could consider the 53226 (Aluminium Front Hub Carriers) as they fit nicely with your selected parts and are a Hop Up. Don't forget bearings to match but you'll probably have enough since you've got new packs. And maybe 53308 (Aluminium Servo Mounts). Memory exhausted!

Most importantly, post pics!