Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

What does CVA mean

as the title says. what does C.V.A. stand for in reference to Tamiya CVA shocks. Is it constant velocity action?

Also think it must have to do with the diaphragms, constant volume or compensating volume, about A nothing comes to my mind.

But it may mean also something simple as Coil Viscous Adjustable, don't expect too much from Tamiya english of the 80s [;)][:D], it could be even what Shodog wrote, although for this damper technically its wrong/makes no sense.

hmmm always thought CVA was cardio vascular accident but dont think that relates to dampers somehow[;)]. CVA in other words a stroke, not the sort you give to your dog either[:D]

Muddybaldboy is right - Constant Volume Adjustable. Asked a Tamiya rep about it once and this is what he told me, although his explanation was sketchy at best since there isn't anything actually "adjusting" inside the shock. Recall that he said it has something to do with the action of the diaphragm, but upon inspection I can't see any difference between the Tamiya models and any other oil-filled shock that has ever come out from anyone else.

My guess, it was a Tamiya sales gimmick.

-John

I guess they could be considered adjustable in that you can change the number of holes in the piston. And they are constant volume as long as they don't leak.

Yeah, you can change the plate with the holes for the piston, and then you can use the C-clip plastic spacers to adjust the ride height, hehehehe [:D]

And don't forget:

-You can mount them upside down or downside up

-You can mount them in the front or at the rear end of your chassis

-And you are free to choose between fresh air to mercury or concrete to fill them as long as you use Tamiya Hop Up 53999...

I was always under the impression that CVA stood for Constant Velocity Action........

My 2 cents

Cheers

Darryn

I'm with u darryn thats what I have always know it as. Although some newbie racers call them Constant Vertical Action for some strange reason. But anyways, no matter what dampers Tamiya comes out with the Associated Aluminium dampers for their MR4-TC are still the best dampers that I have used. far better than tamiyas ones, and a huge amount of racers have said it in the past, associated are probably the best ones u can buy.

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

Yes, like I wrote before it can mean anything, as you cannot have high expectations of Tamiyas 80s marketing names, but none of them are technically correct, neither constant volume or velocity, the only ones I can think of right now which would be correct are compensating volume and coil&viscous, but dont think Tamiya would use them... [;)][:D]

Mercury in CVA shocks, why didn't I ever think of that?! Well, time to put on protective gloves and bribe the chemistry professor...

-John

quote:
Originally posted by scienceguy

Mercury in CVA shocks, why didn't I ever think of that?! Well, time to put on protective gloves and bribe the chemistry professor...

id="quote">id="quote">

Not very good, it'll make your shocks Very Heavy!! [:I]

Dunno if your chem prof still remembers you, but Hg is 13.8x denser (heavier!) than water and it only comes in one viscosity. That ~12cc or so you'll need for 4 shocks could alone weigh 150g. [;)]

Because of the high surface forces of mercury it wouldn't leak at least much in RB ones [;)][:D], but those nice poisenus gasses, a joy for each RC fan... [:D]

LOLOL - it is starting to sound like the "Muppet Show" here - just like "Beaker" the lab assistant .........huuundiii huundi hhhuuuuundi - its da sweedish cheffeeeee" ......

We have some rather educated people here !![:D]

(meant with the utmost respect here guys)

Cheers

Darryn

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo

... but those nice poisenus gasses, a joy for each RC fan... [
:D
]

id="quote">id="quote">

Haha, but you're not heating the stuff Theo - where's the gases coming from?? Hg won't evaporate...

My granddaddy had a big bottle of Hg in his office that I used to play with (pre Tamiya toys!). Cool fun, sticking one's finger in - it feels like nothing you've felt before. Ahh, ignorance is bliss! [:o)]

Guys,

Since these C.V.A. shocks can change the dampening with different weights of shock oil & different pistons, I assume that they mean "Constant Viscocity Adjustable Shocks" or computer virus administration, who knows...

Does anyone work for Tamiya here? Hei HELP! Please give us an answer!!!

Joaquim

quote:Haha, but you're not heating the stuff Theo - where's the gases coming from?? Hg won't evaporate...

id="quote">id="quote">

Dampers Willy work by transforming mechanical enegy (movement) to heat (loss), don't they [;)] In real cars after fast driving or bad roads they can heat up so much you can burn your fingers on them...

quote:Since these C.V.A. shocks can change the dampening with different weights of shock oil & different pistons, I assume that they mean "Constant Viscocity Adjustable Shocks" or computer virus administration, who knows...

id="quote">id="quote">

Under assumption of not too high pressures and temperatures, viscocity of fluids can be assumed constant (Darryn, don't say it! [;)][:D]), but the same happens to all other dampers too, even on the SRB ones...

Still think it has to do with "newly" invented rubber cap, maybe constant volume accumulation?