Sign in to follow this  
JETSET

Acrylic Paint Question

Hi Everyone,

I've got a couple of hard bodies to paint and i'd like your advice please. One will be used and abused and the other will sit on a shelf and look pretty (hopefully).

The choices of acrylic "model" spray paint out there seem to be very limited. The Tamiya acrylic paint seems to still be unavailable (or am i looking at the wrong websites?), and the Humbrol choices are limited to say the least. And i can't (in the UK at least) see any other model paints on the market.

So, the question is, could i use automotive spray paint on the plastic shells? I'm thinking of just the standard stuff you buy in Halfords (for non-UK readers, Halfords is a sort of automotive super-store that do their own range of rattle cans, touch-up pens etc).

The Automotive paint can be used on all parts of a full size car body including the plastic bumpers, so i'm guessing that it should be OK for a plastic model body. Am i correct, or is there more to it than i know?

I used this type of paint on my original Scorcher (1983/4) and after a couple of knocks the paint started flaking off. I was 12 years old and knew nothing of primer, clear coats, or even of washing the body before spraying. Was my flaking due to not prepping the body or was automotive paint just not the right stuff for the job.

Any help would be much appreciated. If i am just being dumb and have missed another manufacturer who makes paint for plastic models, could you point me in the right direction.

i use halfords stuff on all my hard body builds, just make sure you use plastic primer first

i used to use halfords spray,but found a local motor factors was cheaper.

I`ve used halfords on my landy,bowler and beetle styrene bodies and got some really good results.But as has been said there are a lot cheaper places to get car paint from.i think halfords 300ml tins are £6.99 each whereas a motor factors will knock em out for about £4

i use halfords cos mate gets staff discount B) i only pay £2 a can

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

There's a Motor Factor quite near where I work. I'll take a look in there.

And I'll remember to prep the bodies this time!