Longwaistround

Quick Charge Problems

Hi all

Need some advice as I'm still learning...all help much appreciated!

I have a Ripmax Propeak O-IP2500 charger ( http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=O-IP...;Category=O0150 ) that I use with my NIMH 3300 battery and my new vapextech 4600. Both batteries work great when slow charged overnight giving between 20mins full throttle running time on the 3300 and 30mins+ on the 4600. This is using deans connectors on both in my baja champ with ez-run 9T brushless setup.

The car is fast and fun!

Its just when I'm done and want a quick charge I can only get about 3mins each out of each battery after a 30mins quick charge(buzzer sounds).

From this I go and slow charge again (zzzzzz) and the batteries are fine(full long fun running time). So I guess that it's the charger and not the batteries at fault.

It's a cheapish charger with no controls so I am unable to see what is happening in terms of capacity charge they are getting either slow or fast.

To this outcome I guess all I can do is upgrade?!

So anyone with some suggestions please on:

1) What is going on with this peak charger?

2) What new charger to get? - Price is less important than quality for money & future proofing this time is the order - i.e. lipo/discharge/control - when i can I would like to change to lipo but still be able to run my old packs as well and at least in the meantime.

3) Am I missing the point in any way/Doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help guys it really will help me keep this brushless smile on my face for a few mins more!!!!

cheers

mat

After 30 min of charge you should be getting more than 3 min runtime. Even if the batteries are false peaking a charge rate of 3.5 amps should have the 3300 at 50% charge and the 4600 at 40%.

Are the batteries getting warm while charging? A full peaked NIMH should be quite warm at the end of charge.

My guess is the charger is bad since you know that the packs are good.

I currently use a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger and love it. It will charge NICD/NIMH, Lipo, Life, and LI-Ion at rates of up to 7 amps running AC/DC. Many others in the UK use the IMax B6 with good results.

After 30 min of charge you should be getting more than 3 min runtime. Even if the batteries are false peaking a charge rate of 3.5 amps should have the 3300 at 50% charge and the 4600 at 40%.

Are the batteries getting warm while charging? A full peaked NIMH should be quite warm at the end of charge.

My guess is the charger is bad since you know that the packs are good.

I currently use a Duratrax Onyx 230 charger and love it. It will charge NICD/NIMH, Lipo, Life, and LI-Ion at rates of up to 7 amps running AC/DC. Many others in the UK use the IMax B6 with good results.

HI

Thanks a lot for your reply

Yeah the packs get quite warm just as they do by the slow charge. It is strange how the slow charge is great and the quick is not. Not sure if I am correct in saying this but I think I saw someone here mention just to start the quick charge again straight away once buzzer has sounded, as with having a peak sensor it will just top it up. But this I have not done as I don't want any accidents/bust batteries on my hands. Any thoughts on this anyone will be must appreciated.

I want a new charger anyway so I guess it isn't all bad, just frustrating as I'm unable to use my runner as much as i like!

Having no display or control really does frustrate so it is def. pushing me to get a new charger.

Thanks for the tips on chargers it really is a mine field out there and although I am willing to spend what it takes to get a future proof all singing charger, I still don't want to be in another situation of frustration by lack of knowledge!

This hobby does always seem to throw up another problem once one is sorted! But some of that is the fun bit and the learning curve that gives you experience! Im looking forward to the only thing i have to buy new is tyres, as the new found speed is quickly shredding these ones, but that is a small price to pay for speed and runtime!

Thanks again and if anyone else has any input on my charger problem/recommendations of a new one i would be extremely grateful.

cheers

mat