Sign in to follow this  
bholio

How do you keep things organized?

I have somewhere around 13 or 14 cars. I'm having problems keeping things organized. Right now, each car gets it's own little plastic box where I keep the manual and all of the parts for that car. I also have a box of spare motors, another for radio stuff and another for paint/body stuff. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

For example, I just got an F1 car, with an ESC and spare motor. The F1 car currently lives in my son's room, on display (he's 4 and doesn't mind the dog-bites on the car). This leaves me with the F1-special-metal-screw-on antenna. Well, do I devote an entire box to 1 antenna? No. It's in the radio box, where I will surely forget that I left it.

I have a Frog. While rebuilding it, I bought a bunch of NIB screw-bags for it. I didn't need all of the screws. Now, the screws are in the 'frog box' which I raid sometimes when I need more screws.

Then there are the wheels/tires. Some of my cars came with spares. Some of the spares are the original rims for that car, others are not. I have some tires that I don't know where they go. Some tires only fit one car, some fit a few cars. So, I have tires/rims scattered across my 'tires' box and in car boxes.

Before I try to reorganize, I'd like to hear how other people (with more stuff than I have) deal with this.

Thanks

lol i have the same problem

All my Cars are in boxes or rested on boxes - ontop of my cabinet.

The 'Bigger' models ie Clodbsuter have to live in a shed.

Whist my runners are all over the floor

B) I need a bigger house

Most of my cars are in my family house in the Alps, what I do is just pick up to Paris the ones (3 max) I plan to work on / play with. At least this makes me work on one single car at a time...

logo_member2.gif

visit my replica traderoom

id=size1>

What is organized? Piles of stuff everywhere. My orginization is called sell it all on Ebay. (Its that time of year again for a clear out! )

I go by my second view in life

A organised, clean environment (workshop) is a sure sighn of a sick mind!!!!!

But to get real I have Huge plastic boxes with the name of the different manufacturers of the cars I have on them. In them I have smaller (according to space neeeded) for the different models I have of that manufacturer.

All the screws bolts and nuts Ive sorted in a plastic tray with alot of small compartments.

In case I have a lot of spares for a spesific model (eg the Hilux 4x4 and Sand Scorcher) I have a huge plastic box plus the smaller ones for the different parts I have of that model only!!!

For the tires I have another box and to keep things organised I have the tires bound into sets of the different ones and marked with a tag. The nice thing about this plastic boxes (containers) is it can be sealed and stacked. No dust etc

My biggest problem is to get all my stuff sorted into these boxes!!!!

But at least its a starting point.

I also got a second hand bookshelf in which all my manuals/decals/instruction manuals etc (all paper) is kept.

My models - Is currently everywhere in the workshop/house and alot are on disply at my LHS - less space needed at home for them!!!

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

here are some older pictures of my whole entire room devoted to r/c

We have like 5 more cars, but same setup

http://community.webshot

http://community.webshots.com/photo/434239.../43423926ZHLaIC

http://community.webshots.com/photo/43423926/43429296DhoIEV

the last one is a little messy. We made a tool holder and all the boxes you see underneath are now full + we have more. we have them like this

1) super champ/scorcher/rough rider box

2) Mugen parts

3) Traxxas parts

4) electronics

and than MANY other smaller boxes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

selling one must mean i get two more...right?

I always have one too many when i figure i always need one more.

Well I keep spare parts for same chassis types in different boxes:

I mean I have a SS box with all racing buggies spares, a second box for all new tires and a third for used tires.

This happens to blackfoot/mbeetle parts too and other models.

For my 3speed truck I keep them divided into hilux/blazer and bruiser/mounty, a box for used parts and a box for new parts, a box for all tires, a box for all used body parts and a box for misc new parts (plastic trees, wheels, whindshields, radiobox etc)

Screws/nuts/grubs/etc are divided into 4 boxes: 2 screws divided into used/new and 2 nuts/spacers/etc used/new. Special screws are in the box with proper chassis parts.

I'd say start with a generic box and put what you have into it, even if you have 1 piece. In the beginning I had 1 box for 3speed parts with all hilux/blazer/bruiser/mounty used/new parts, now parts grew up and I added other boxes. I use a lot of pc keyboard boxes, find them very usefull and can easily find them at work.

What is harder is to remember the parts I have. ;)

cheers

Roby

Like Roby sez:- "the cheaper the better".

Find what you can 'free', lotsa useful stuff gets thrown out of offices. Boxes with an A3 (= 2x A4) footprint are very handy as they fit a 1/10 car nicely, with room on the side for extras.

You'd be amazed how much A4 paper an average office goes through!

I was also faced with an organizational challenge when building my first R/C car in nearly 20 years. The garage is full of projects for real cars (my 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, and a friend's 1969 SAAB 96 V-4 that I'm doing some work on), and my girlfriend didn't want me making a mess on the dining room table. So I found a great solution: I hauled out an old framed poster of Barry Manilow icon_smile_dissapprove.gif that she had in the basement, turned it face down, and presto! -- I nice, clean pressboard work surface that I move, parts and all, off the table at a moment's notice when it's time for dinner. As an added bonus, I don't have to suffer looking at Barry's mug whenever I go down the cellar anymore! icon_smile_big.gif

I have boxes for all of my cars. The Boxes are labeled with names of the cars in them. Ones that use similar chassis get consolidated. spare parts go with their respective chassis. I have a box that has buggy wheels and another with just Monster tuck wheels. All of my manuals are in one folder that has expanding pockets and tabs printed with the car names. All of my decal sheets are in another similar folder. For display I have shelves in the garage and one boox shelf in our Home office. I am a pack rat but and organized pack rat.

Here is an old pic of my shelves in the garage.

085.jpg

a pic of my shelf in the office

428.JPG

logo_member2.gif

Edited by - Shodog on 07 Oct 2002 18:57:26

Are those fluorecent shelf lighting, SHO? Be a bit careful with tubes, they can pump out a fair bit of UV which will fade paint & inks and deteriorate rubber.

But can get 'designer' tube incandescent bulbs these days too which avoids the UV.

Those are incandecent bulb that have a frosted coating. I got them from a light bar they were going to throw away at work. I don't leave them on. I only turn them on when I want to show off the shelf contents. Thanks for the tip about the flourescent lighting.

jim

logo_member2.gif

Same thing with low voltage halogen lighting, folks - probably enough UV there to get sunburn and cataracts.

An interesting observation too just the other day... seems that some halogen bulbs are causing deterioration in some modern cars' headlights too - which are made from (wait for it)... Polycarbonate. Food for thought.

How about some bright white LEDs? Can get over 10,000mCd now in 5mm, pretty bright and will never burn out, plus they look pretty 1/10 scale too... icon_smile_big.gif