mailedfist

Anyone Know Name Of Tamiya Promo Gentleman? (tv Ads We Grew Up On)

Boy, that guy made Tamiya's MKTG program work in that era, his voice was strong, powerful, and had American accent that coupled with Tamiya's strive for quality in the 1980's.

Everyone know's who im talking about & I really respect the guy and wanted to see if he is still around.

Classic promo man, Classic Tamiya's...

KEEP IT VINTAGE BROTHERS :o

• Like 1

Boy, that guy made Tamiya's MKTG program work in that era, his voice was strong, powerful, and had American accent that coupled with Tamiya's strive for quality in the 1980's.

Everyone know's who im talking about & I really respect the guy and wanted to see if he is still around.

Classic promo man, Classic Tamiya's...

KEEP IT VINTAGE BROTHERS :o

Was he not a voice actor? I didn't realise he was an employee. Anyway, his voice always sounds like Warren Miller, the skiing documentary maker, to me.

Sorry man, no way does "Warren Miller" sound like the great Tamiya spokesman of the great 80's

but thanks for the inquiry.

the tamiya spokesman is like a GOD, the way he describes the models "the sophistication of the brusier must be seen to be appreciated" ...

...is classic 80's nostalgia that must be appreciated.

I wonder if he is a TC member?

If so, lets celebrate him with a toast to good Marketing (Cheers dude!)

Many good memories of him and catalogs!!!!

Long live the Tamiya Dude (Can somebody please tell me his actual name?)

-mailedfist

He sounds oddly enough like the owner of the hobby shop my grandfather used to frequent. When I was young (really young) I would peer over the counter on my tip toes to see the tv showing the old SS/RR promos thinking the owner made the video. His voice was great, but he read the script kinda strange. There was all these odd pauses and hesitations in the wrong places in the sentences like he was reading off slow moving cue cards or something. Today thats part of the charm for me when watching those old promos and I miss his narration.

we didn't have the tamiya commercials in north america. i didn't even know about them until i saw them on youtube.

i know one thing, if we did have them tamiya would have sold alot more kits in n.a. .

Snakehands, your right it does sound like him!

I made a mistake and listened to the wrong guy. Warren Miller is very close, I wouldn't be suprised if it was him.

Yes we did have these on tv, I clearly remember the hornet commercial/lunchbox & others on public tv as a kid.

Thats what got me into Tamiya's in the 1st place (& my uncle/ hobbyshack/and flyers.)

Snakehands, your right it does sound like him!

I made a mistake and listened to the wrong guy. Warren Miller is very close, I wouldn't be suprised if it was him.

I wouldn't be surprised either. There are differences to the voice pitch between the two clips, but that could be due to the old VHS tape running at slightly below normal operating speed.

They do sound similar to me, but its definately not the same guy.

Ok, do you have definite proof it's not him?

Warren Miller Productions is located in Boulder Colorado and is very near to where I used to live before moving to Montana. I drove past his business several times every month, and God only knows how many of his ski/snowboard productions I've attended. I suppose somebody could just call/email him and ask? He is a pretty decent fellow from what I've heard, but I never met him personally.

Warren Miller Productions is located in Boulder Colorado and is very near to where I used to live before moving to Montana. I drove past his business several times every month, and God only knows how many of his ski/snowboard productions I've attended. I suppose somebody could just call/email him and ask? He is a pretty decent fellow from what I've heard, but I never met him personally.

LETS DO IT, I HAVE TO KNOW WHO THIS GUY IS!

I always wondered who he was, I will try to email him in a very polite way tomorrow guys.

I really think the Tamiya guy is Warren Miller.

If so, I will tell you guys in the next few & again Snakehand...thank you & I will take your advice to hopefully solve this question.

voices sound much too dissimilar in my opinion.

G

Would you say the two voices have the same regional accent? All Gordies sound the same to me, but of course Gordies can distinguish different voice pattens with their own group.

It would have made sense for Tamiya to use a production company, especially one with lots of slow motion experience.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough, hopefully!

The answer may be available from MRC. They were the importer of Tamiya stuff before they set foot in the USA.

Take a look at the caption from this video.

If MRC produced it, they should know who the voice actor was or hopefully have a record.

This leads me to wonder, how many videos were produced by MRC?

I don't know who Warren Miller is but if he can read more than five lines of script without fluffing it then he ain't the "Tamiya Dude".

I think we must've had a different guy here in the U.K. because the guy *I* remember has one of the dullest and most disintereted sounding voices ever!

Seriously, his monotone delivery of a script that was obviously handed to him the moment he walked in the recording studio was more off putting than anything else.

I can picture the scene at the recordings..... "ok guys you got me for 6 more minutes then I'm home - meatloaf night tonight and I don't wanna be late. What's this? Clodwhat? Oil filled shock bouncers? Oh geez....the kids of today. Ok start the tape........"

no better example of this than

A god he is not :D

Ha ha, hadn't seen the Audi one.

My particular favourite is the Midnight Pumpkin video where he stumbles his way through the script so badly that you're (or at least I'm) left wondering if English is his first language.

we didn't have the tamiya commercials in north america. i didn't even know about them until i saw them on youtube.

i know one thing, if we did have them tamiya would have sold alot more kits in n.a. .

yes, i just discovered the videos like last year....and having never seen them before(cause i live in the u.s.)..i spent like 2 hrs. on youtube watching.

i wonder why they never were played in the u.s. at all.

the one of the super champ just makes me want one all that much more :D

Did these actually play on tv anywhere in the world.

We didn't have them on tv here in the U.K. either, they're just promotional vids that played on tvs in our LHSs.

You American guys who are saying you'd not seen them before is that because they didn't play on tv over there or they didn't play in LHS either?