Swarm

What Makes A Clod Buster More Collectable ?

I have been doing some reading about the Clod Buster and I was suprised that some are more collectable than others .

My reasearch informs me that Tamiya have been making Clods since 1987 and still make them (Info sourced from another forum).

I have read that if the Clod you have has the Chevy grille and Tailgate that is what makes that particular model more sought after than others is this true ?? .

I have a Nib Clod and it has a Chevy Emblem on the front grille and the Tailgate says Chevrolet on it is this what they are reffering to that makes this model more sought after ??.

Iam just interested is all .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Stuart

I have read that if the Clod you have has the Chevy grille and Tailgate that is what makes that particular model more sought after than others is this true ?? .

I have a Nib Clod and it has a Chevy Emblem on the front grille and the Tailgate says Chevrolet on it is this what they are reffering to that makes this model more sought after ??.

Thanks Stuart

Tamiya pulled the version with the Chevy badge as there was some legal issues quite early on, and simply removed the emblems on the parts with something else (or maybe nothing, not sure).

IIRC with the emblems means its an early kit and can be dated more accurately on just how old it is.

So they removed anything to do with Chevy on the clod and left it blank I presume .

I can also take it the Nib I have is an earlier model as it has been badged .

Its usually issues like that I guess that make a particular model more desirable than others .

Thanks for your help :lol:

I have been doing some reading about the Clod Buster and I was suprised that some are more collectable than others .

My reasearch informs me that Tamiya have been making Clods since 1987 and still make them (Info sourced from another forum).

Iam just interested is all .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Stuart

Well, there are several things which make it more collectible, but it's indeed mainly the emblems. The original release Clod Buster had Chevy Emblems, whilst the Super Clod Buster (the one still in production today) has a "4x4x4" emblem on the grille (probably due to licensing issues?) and it just doesn't look as nice - Tamiya fans want a real car with the genuine emblems, not a real car with some fake emblem to make it legal for production (like some Chinese and other Asian manufacturers often do), because it somehow gives the car a cheap feel.

The other thing ir probably the age of the car and the colour of the chassis parts. The colour of many of the chassis parts is different on the original Clod than the Super Clod, which makes the Clod Buster parts more wanted for restorations of the original Clod. The age of the car also plays a role. The Original Clod isn't in production anymore, so NIB cars, shelf queens and (new) parts availability becomes less and less, whereas the Super Clod and related parts still roll out of the factory.

The original 4x4x4 Clod Buster was released in 1987. And until 1989, the truck came out with the Chevrolet logo on both, grill, and tail. Other thing few people know is that the rear side decals also said Chevrolet. After that, and due to legal issues, the exact Clod Buster would be offered just like before, but without the logos and anything "Chevrolet". It was a plain grill, no Chevy logos. Now, when Tamiya released the Super Clod Buster, as an updated model, the grill would have that 4x4x4 that seems to annoy so many people.

The original 4x4x4 Clod Buster was released in 1987. And until 1989, the truck came out with the Chevrolet logo on both, grill, and tail. Other thing few people know is that the rear side decals also said Chevrolet. After that, and due to legal issues, the exact Clod Buster would be offered just like before, but without the logos and anything "Chevrolet". It was a plain grill, no Chevy logos. Now, when Tamiya released the Super Clod Buster, as an updated model, the grill would have that 4x4x4 that seems to annoy so many people.

Yeah sorry... I think the 4x4x4 logo looks cheesy and cheap, they should have either left it blank or re-introduced the Chevy logos :lol: It's not juist the logo btw, the grille is flat with the 4x4x4 logo, whereas with the Chevy logo, there was a line in the middle running over the grille, adding a little more depth to the grille.

Yeah sorry... I think the 4x4x4 logo looks cheesy and cheap, they should have either left it blank or re-introduced the Chevy logos :lol: It's not juist the logo btw, the grille is flat with the 4x4x4 logo, whereas with the Chevy logo, there was a line in the middle running over the grille, adding a little more depth to the grille.
Okay, okay... here's the side-by-side comparison. (Only thing I am not showing is the side decals saying "chevrolet". Reissued Clod Busters don't have that one!).

i have a new super clod

despite the 4x4x4 and other details it is still a real nice kit, and a great old school build.

it's an experience to get your hands on a clod tyre for the for the first time. such girth!

• Like 1

Oh, I have nothing against the Super Clod Buster. I am okay with that grill, although I must confess there are things about it I don't like: the electric blue color for the shocks, the oversized blower, and the horrible decal set. But apart of the superficial the "Super" is still the old, loyal, 4x4x4 Clod Buster truck that we know and love!

Okay, okay... here's the side-by-side comparison. (Only thing I am not showing is the side decals saying "chevrolet". Reissued Clod Busters don't have that one!).

Very interesting info there guys thanks from the look of those pictures I have the original one the grille is the same 1987 issue.

Thanks EB for the pictures to compare the different ones they have changed over time subtle changes but noticable enough .

1987 Clod Buster:

Chevrolet badged Grille

Chevrolet insignia Tailgate

Chevrolet embossed decals

1989 Clod Buster:

All Chev brand logo's removed from model, box and instructions

1987 & 1989 Clod buster vs 2004 Super Clod Buster differences:

Chevrolet style grille vs 4x4x4 grille

1989 Clod and super clod share the same tailgate

Bugcatcher vs Supercharger and square catcher, you still get the old bug catcher with the SCB, but you now get the extra L parts

Decals, retro vs modern

Zinc gold A,B,C,D hardware vs silver A,B,C,D hardware

Red F parts vs blue F parts

White rims vs chrome rims

MSC vs ESC (I have a feeling the SCB still comes with a MSC aswell???)

3 metal reinforcing plates for servo/multilink with SCB

SCB instructions doesn't ask you to paint the spotlight covers yellow but white

I know I'm forgetting something, but that's all I can think of now.

I think as a whole package, the 1987 Clod buster just looks like a original mid eighties C10 on white MT wheels whereas

the Super Clod with it's metallic blue paint, flashy decals, blue bits and chrome wheels makes it look more like a custom truck.

Tamiya did a great job of reinventing the wheel with the SCB I believe, and I'd imagine that's why it sells so well.

1989 Clod Buster:

All Chev brand logo's removed from model, box and instructions

Not totally true - the box, as far as I can recall, never had the Chevy Bow tie removed from the artwork, although all Chevy refererences were crudley removed from the manual - orignal manual 'tippexed' and taped.

Compare the pics below to the TC Chevy Manual - P21 onwards

My manual (no Chevy) is dated 1987, same as the TC one so they obviously didn't reprint it, just obscured the trademarks and names on the file copy

img169_25102009230358_1.jpg

img169_25102009230358_2.jpg

img169_25102009230358_3.jpg

img169_25102009230358_4.jpg

img169_25102009230358_5.jpg

Yeah that's what I meant with the manual, I have the 'white out' Chev removed manual aswell unfortunately, I didn't actually look for that in the auction. :P

I took a guess with the box, it's been that long since I had one I cant remember, so I just assumed if they did it with the truck and the manual, they would've done it with the box. Glad you corrected me though :unsure:

Are shapeways making the chevy grill yet?

I made a gmc grille for it (in Tc designs) but I think I can print up am insert for the 4x4x4 version. I may just have to do that.

• Like 1