Saito

What Vehicle Have You Bought And Wished You Didn't?

I can think of dozens that my WIFE wishes i hadnt bought! :(

KingPin

Aint that the truth! :) I tell her fibs now like "oh I bought that one to sell on" :)

I should've never bought my F-350 3-speed.

It was a great build and and all, but I just can't justify using it. Personally, I like to buy cheap buggies (>$250), keeping it stock, and bash it around.

This for me is a hard choice... I like them all. But there's a few standouts that have given me more trouble than they should have.

#1 DF03 MS buggy:

Purchased as a racer. Certainly fast and controllable, but we all know why this one gave me a headache. Solved now after too many gearsets and slipper clutches. It gets little use now. In hindsight I should have went for a HPI Cyber/Brama buggy.

#2 The Fox:

Nothing wrong with the buggy itself. Problem is with what it has cost me to get it to a usable condition. I could have bought a NIB and built it for less. An eBay ripoff from a poorly described listing. Not to mention the doggy do-do I needed to clean out of the front end when I first received it. Will never forget the smell that hit me when I opened the package. Ewwwww!

The rest have all been good to me. Nothing more than normal wear and tear after the known weak spots were taken care of.

I got a Bruiser when it first came out and have to admit that for some reason I thought it would drive better. Of course I was 14 at the time.

More recently I got a DB01 and did the original build with hex screws, front 1-way, and slipper clutch.

The thing was okay but it really needed the pieces included with the DB01R. I ended up buying almost all the hop-ups and ended up with a DB01 that cost about as much as a B44. At least the thing is able to perform on par with what it cost in the end. If I had to do it over I would probably just get the B44.

Baja King - an impulse ebay buy about 3 years ago (and a bad one at that) , bit too easy to break me thinks! has sat collecting dust on top of my sons cupboard for the last couple of years as I have now "disowned" it :)

Oh, I forgot one more car: The Tamiya QD 1/10 touring chassis. I wanted to make an insanely quick Tamiya QD. However, when it arrived it didn't take long to realise that the car was useless. No parts compatibility, Pressed on and very odd size pinion gear on the motor and thus no compatibility for potential big brushless setup, etc... I might try it once more sometimes to find a pinion for it, but I think it won't work...

I had completely forgotten about this one. I remember when you were doing that because I had just bought one myself. Its the only Tamiya that I ever actually tossed in the garbage, LOL. I bought one for $10 on ebay and when it arrived it ran for a run or two and then went nuts and would either not move at all or just go crazy with jerking random movements. I took it apart to see what made it tick and NOTHING was reusable from the chassis. I kept the very nice body and put it onto a TL-01 chassis and for some reason I kept the wheels. The back ones are rubbish, but the fronts work a real treat on my Hornet with standard touring car tires. Bonus! Makes the Hornet much more stable and I like the "street" look. The chassis, so-called electronics, and the radio went straight into the dumpster and I had nearly forgotten I ever bought it. :)

Still, its hard to complain about a nice Tamiya finished body and a set of Hornet rims for a tenner!

My first ever Tamiya bought for me by my parents was a QD Midnight Pumpkin. I hated it! My mate and I had planned it so that he asked for a Lunchbox and I asked for the Pumpkin for Christmas - imagine my dismay when I was all ready to build it and it was the QD version :)

I did get quite a bit of use out of it but I cant remember what happened to it.

Almost tempted to get a cheap one from eBay and fit an eZrun in it for a laugh!

Skip i have a qd pumpkin , its in bits but its all there. its yours for postage or at the next meet.

Wow thanks Matt that would be great! I'll buy you breakfast in the cafe for it :)

My DB01 Baldre, Not because its a bad car its just that I have spent so much money on it to get it to a high standard I could easily have just brought a B44 or B-maxx for alot less and would still have an equal car.

None the less it is by far my favorite car as it handles brilliantly and has some awesome speed with my brushless setup.