Sign in to follow this  
wolfswest

I Might Start A Sand Scorcher Project

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so let me introduce myself a little bit. The link in the welcome mail with the guidelines isn't working so if I do something wrong please tell me and I will correct myself.

I'm 28 years old now and as a kid I had various tamiya and other RC cars.

I started my carriere with a manta ray buggy, then bought a street version of this chassis and ran it with a lancia delta shell and a toyota celica shell. Bought a kyosho boat, sold it for a robbe delta flyer, crashed it, bought a second hand kyosho nitro car, broke the gearbox 3 times :blink: and later on quited the hobby and bought myself a real car to drive around.

My "real toy car" is a vw beetle, and in a funny kind of way I stumbled on a SRB chassis with sand scorcher shell on ebay. Never heared of the SRB series, started reading and I'm hooked right away!

So I'm planning to make me a sand scorcher that I can drive but I want to detail it to the max!

These are the options, so please inspire me what to do:

Restore a srb chassis with an original sand scorcher shell and leave it as is, I like this idea because I like everything vintage but I have a little problem with the performance... I know that I'm missing the point of the car but I want speed and accelaration... ;)

So here is option two: find me a cheap srb chassis to restore, built it up with a brushless motor put a new blitzer shell on it and detail it to the max and go fast! (for the same money as a real sand scorcher shell)

I hope we can discuss my ideas a bit.

take care,

Dem

Sand scorchers are great, beautiful and look super on the shelf. there even fun to play with. Not that i would know. Cause Ive never driven one. But if you like speed and handling. Nothing beats a 1/8th scale brushless truggy. Of any brand. They rock!

I would go for the Buggy Champ chassie with blitzer beetle!

As they are better parts and longer lasting (probably)

Badboy

okay guys,

and what do you think of the performance question?

brushless? vintage tuning?

Anything brushless is cool! Great idea for die hard vintage fans. But, even if you upgrade the power you still have the vintage handling.

I would go for the Buggy Champ chassis with blitzer beetle!

As they are better parts and longer lasting (probably)

Badboy

I also think if you wanna build a scorcher. This is the way to go. All the new parts at the best price. If you already have a chassis. Stop. sell it. and get the buggy champ and blitzer body. Your wallet will thank you. I know this from personal experience, cause my back pocket is still hurting.

Anything brushless is cool! Great idea for die hard vintage fans. But, even if you upgrade the power you still have the vintage handling.

I've been thinking alot about this subject the last days and I probably will go the vintage tuning way.

1: is it possible to run 15 min with one battery with a souped up vintage setup?

2: when did they start making an esc? will I need an esc or is a msc okay? I guess I will have less play time with a msc?

3: what kind of engine do you suggest? I looked in an old tamiya book and saw different models, but all the numbers and technical **** is above my knowledge...

dynatech? tamiya sports tuned 540? technigold? ... other suggestions?

I've been thinking alot about this subject the last days and I probably will go the vintage tuning way.

1: is it possible to run 15 min with one battery with a souped up vintage setup?

2: when did they start making an esc? will I need an esc or is a msc okay? I guess I will have less play time with a msc?

3: what kind of engine do you suggest? I looked in an old tamiya book and saw different models, but all the numbers and technical **** is above my knowledge...

dynatech? tamiya sports tuned 540? technigold? ... other suggestions?

1. Yes it is easily possible to get 15 minutes or more of run time from your scorcher. Just go with a high mah battery. like a nimh's 3600 pack

2. I was running esc back in the early eighties. I would definatly go with an esc over a mechanical one. And now a day's there pretty cheap.

3. I would recomend the sport tuned motor for the scorcher. But to use it your gonna have to go inside the gearcase and grind out the little motor locating tab thats inside to get the motor to fit.

good luck and keep us posted.