Sign in to follow this  
Hornet Basher

How Can I Have A Locked Diff On My Hornet!

171020093541.bmp

I am really keen to have a locked diff on my beloved Hornet but dont have a clue where to go about doing it! Is it possible to lock my original one or are there any for othe models that would fit on?

Any help would be greatly apprciated! Cheers guys and gals B)

I have always been curious about this.. What purpose would a locked diff serve?? This seems counterproductive to overall control and cornering. It would also put more stress on your motor and run your battery down much faster..

On loose surfaces like sand, locking the diff can be a big help, because it keeps you from getting stuck if one wheel breaks loose. But be warned that on any surface with any traction, if you lock the diff, you'll barely be able to turn the thing unless you slow down to a crawl.

On a Hornet, your best option is to epoxy the gears together. Unfortunately, this is a one-way trip, so if you decide you don't like how it drives, you'll end up replacing the diff gears. If you decide to try it, be sure to clean/degrease all the gears first, and use as little epoxy as possible so you don't end up with a big lump of it on one side of the gear causing a heavy spot.

If it's more traction you're after, you might be better off trying different tires instead. Big spikes for the grass or dirt, or paddles for sand should give you more traction and still allow you to turn.

put blu tak in the diff to make it super stiff, but it will still have the tiniest bit of gear tooth saving give in it.