super gripper

Why Do So Few People Race Their Tamiya's?

It has always had me wondering this one, why is it so few people race their Tamiya's.

People have the cars in their showrooms, spend a fortune putting hop-ups on but simply do not use them for racing. I can understand cars such as sand scorchers and alike being sheilved but out n out racers such as the 501 etc...................

is it they feel they are not confident enough with their driving skills or is it something else?

I've often wondered this too. Tamiya cars seem to depreciate in value rapidly until they are no longer in production when they shoot up again! But why spend a fortune on a kit and never use it... baffles me!

With me its basically that I don't race tourers anymore.. I used to race a TRF415 and I will now and again from now on. I have a Durga thats probably quite raceable but Im not really into racing offroad at moment. The nearest track I race at race mardaves and carismas so thats what I race now.

that is so TRUE!!!

its an rc car,,,your suppose to use it and enjoy it!!not just a dust collector

even worse is the trucks,,,most of the driver`s only use 1st gear!!!how boring :angry:

some people spend so much on there truck but find it hard to drive them scared of a scratching it

drive like looney`s in there proper cars,but couple of hundred quid for a truck and drive it with cotton wool wrapt round it,,,,how STUPID can you get

that is so TRUE!!!

its an rc car,,,your suppose to use it and enjoy it!!not just a dust collector

even worse is the trucks,,,most of the driver`s only use 1st gear!!!how boring ;)

some people spend so much on there truck but find it hard to drive them scared of a scratching it

drive like looney`s in there proper cars,but couple of hundred quid for a truck and drive it with cotton wool wrapt round it,,,,how STUPID can you get

:angry: Well that's the other side of the coin. Even if my RC cars and trucks cost a lot less than my 1:1, it doesn't mean I should stuff it up 'cause it's cheap. It still has value for me even if it is something as blant/common as my Baja King. I hate it when my cars tip over as I do not like it getting scratched. When I see some of the things people do to their cars it makes me cringe as I enjoy running my cars just as much but must they really be destroyed?

I have seen that most people here in SA use either Losi, Schumacher or Traxxas buggies when they race electric off road. I haven't seen a local using any Tamiya as I think that the cost of the race spec buggies like the 501 are just to much. On road is different as the guys are quite competitive with bottom end chassis like the TT01 or even TL01's. Has a lot to do with skill it seems. The serious guys use better chassis but have seen some of them getting their buts kicked by lesser cars. I am not that skilled a driver and don't consider racing any time in the future as travelling cost to the distant tracks are a huge factor. I would have loved to be close to TRAP Racing in Pretoria again as I would so enjoy to hone my skills and go thrash the daylights out of all the Traxxas and HPI racers with my TNX. Just some payback for their negative attitude towards a good product.

Thats my rant.

Cheers

Henk :D

With me its basically that I don't race tourers anymore.. I used to race a TRF415 and I will now and again from now on. I have a Durga thats probably quite raceable but Im not really into racing offroad at moment. The nearest track I race at race mardaves and carismas so thats what I race now.

I race the DB01, top race car and really does bother people when I beat them with it.

I understand what other people say with regards to just cos it's cheap doesn't mean we should trash it. - Henk4Focus

That is not what we are tailking about here, yes the 501 is expensive but it is a race car - made to race not bash...........and there are no lamp posts on a track ! But then look at the price of a Cat or the D4 or B44 then the price is not that bad................

My DB01 is not hoped up with stupid alloy everywhere just what is needed to race and race I do. It is just a case of knowing what you need and what you don't. If not then read ! ! ! ! there is so much info on the net you can practically set a car up without even running the car on track first!

If people are not sure how to set up a car or how a meeting is run at their local club then ask, and watch the racing. All I have to do is watch a club race on youtube and I am chomping at the bit to go racing!

It will get scratched, bashed about a bit and covered in ****.........but thats racing!

Racing is just practice thats all, if you don't practice you won't get better............and lets face it it's not rocket science.............it's a toy car for peats sake! so use it!

I wanted to race a Tamiya but my local club in Norwich is a Touring Car club and they all seem to use Team Corally, brushless, lipos etc and I didn't want to get into all that. Found a club a bit further away (70 mile round trip) that races standard M03s and have not looked back ;)

I race at the same club as Skip & for similar reasons. My nearest club is just a couple of miles down the road, but I really don't care for Mardaves & driving round an oval circuit for 5 minutes would bore me silly, like Skip I'd rather make a 50 mile round trip for an evenings racing with the Mini's.

Prior to Mini racing at Weeting, I hadn't driven a race car of any kind for more than 25 yrs (RC12e's & Tamiya CanAm Lola's) & I was perfectly happy just bashing my cars at the local meets.

Everybody wants different things from their Tamiya's, personally I don't see the attraction of collecting kits NIB, but to some, it has it own rewards.

I do own a couple of RC12's, but it's extremely unlikely I will ever race them. Some would say it's heresy, as racing is what they were designed to do, but I bought them as a little piece of nostalgia (and because I had a nice shiny new shell that needed a chassis). I will run them at some point, but not race them.

I feel for those who collect full boxes. My boxes only contain leftovers from the builds. If you decide not to run it, at least build it for display on the shelf. I have a very limited number of shelfers (SS, MB, etc) but all my other cars are runners, some even serious racers.

I race Minis (M03-R), tourers (TA05, TB03), off-road (DB01), and crawlers (CR01, CC01). In my opinion that's what RC is meant for. If you must collect boxes, you'll find that static modelling is a much more appealing (and cheap) hobby for you ;)

I think the main difference is between the tamiya collectors and the tamiya runners. A collector has objects that he likes to display or own like a vase or statue, the fact that they are mad to move has nout to do with WHY they collect them. Rich people can afford to buy Super cars like the F40 and keep them in a garage and never run them because they are seen as an investment. It can be the same with a tamiya collector but on a lesser scale of price and room. Then there are the people that buy cars to use them for there designed purpose and enjoy using them or racing them. The 2 types of people can really never see eye to eye because they view the same object in different ways. I can see that people like buying cars and never building or running them, I myself have a NIB top force evolution and a few shelf queens that i love looking at but would not like to run because of the way it looks as a shelf queen. I have ran cars for 23 years now and get my enjoyment out of doing that but also from looking at my shelf queens. This site has many collectors and few runners but at the end of the day we all bought the same cars from tamiya we just enjoy them in our own ways.

And now before i get a bit too deep in to this topic i need to rebuild the front of the dyna storm again for sundays race day

I think Tamiya has more collectors than racers. But keep in mind that A LOT of people do race their Tamiyas. I race a 415 MSX-MRE and win quite often. We have 5 people running Tamiya's TRF touring cars now at our local on-road races. If you check out the racing forums, you'll see the Tamiyas are actually quite popular. The 416 is actually the top perfomrmer in the world for touring cars right now. Of course the hardest part about racing a Tamiya is dealing with the parts support netowrk. If you can't handle searching and waiting for parts from Japan or HongKong, or shelling out big money for parts direct from Tamiya, then it's not for you. Most people race what the hobby stores sell & support. Or whatever's popular at the time...

I have all four categories

Racers - Cyclone Andy Moore edition is my club racer, Xray T2009 competition racer

Light Runners - Orginal Hopped up Rough Rider, Blazing Blazer, Black Porshe TamTech

Shelfer - Sand Scorcher

NIB - Black Porsche TamTech

I never understood NIB and dont think the one I own will stay in its box, but nowadays I can see the attraction of collecting the models and keeping them in the box unbuilt :D I wonder around local model shops wide eyed looking at all the lovely boxes. In the old days it was all about the potential or drawing parallels with 1:1 life - I loved a subaru shell I bought it was fantastic :lol: Now a days I look and think I would like those in my room juist as they are :/

I started off my RC life with the Sand Scorcher (a wreak off ebay) which quickl lead to me re-furbing an old YoKomo YR4II for racing at a local club and the rest as they say is history.

I don't have a large collection but I enjoy them all, no cars go un-noticed or cared for - nothing stuffed at the back of any cupboards gathering dust :P I do sometimes wonder why I do it but that quickly passes.

I live in the USA, down here most people are consumed with racing RC off-road vehicles made by Team Associated, Traxxas, Losi, HPI, etc.. The media focuses on their brands as -the ones to race-, so it's no surprise that when me and my friend show up to the local track with Tamiya buggies, no one really looks twice.. Besides that, many racers are younger than a guy like me in his mid 30's.. The younger racers don't have the budget or the means to order replacement parts on-line, so they stick to the local brands..

That hasn't stopped me though. I have been racing a DB-01 Durga for over a year now.. My friend races a 511X.. Hardly any hobby shops in the US (at least Southern California) stock Tamiya replacement parts for 1/10th scale off-road. Parts will inevitably break, so you need to be a big fan if Tamiya and know their cars really well to have replacement parts ready that you ordered in advance..

In my option it is not really a problem.. The DB-01 and TRF 511X are so well made that parts rarely break (when compared to other brands).. These two buggies have already proven to be fantastic race engineered cars that were designed specifically for that purpose..

I have my collection of vintage Tamiya shelf queens, some vintage runners and my Durga for the local club track.. The way I see it, I get the best of both worlds..

Tamiya off-road fans in the USA will always be in the minority when it comes to club racing.. I think it is kinda cool though.. I feel like more of an individual.

I race the DB01, top race car and really does bother people when I beat them with it.

I understand what other people say with regards to just cos it's cheap doesn't mean we should trash it. - Henk4Focus

That is not what we are tailking about here, yes the 501 is expensive but it is a race car - made to race not bash...........and there are no lamp posts on a track ! But then look at the price of a Cat or the D4 or B44 then the price is not that bad................

My DB01 is not hoped up with stupid alloy everywhere just what is needed to race and race I do. It is just a case of knowing what you need and what you don't. If not then read ! ! ! ! there is so much info on the net you can practically set a car up without even running the car on track first!

If people are not sure how to set up a car or how a meeting is run at their local club then ask, and watch the racing. All I have to do is watch a club race on youtube and I am chomping at the bit to go racing!

It will get scratched, bashed about a bit and covered in ****.........but thats racing!

Racing is just practice thats all, if you don't practice you won't get better............and lets face it it's not rocket science.............it's a toy car for peats sake! so use it!

Agree 100% with you! What I tried to say is, there is racing, and then there is, F*&^%$ it up. Sorry the bad language but that is what happens. A lot of people that I've met and who race obviously have some very battered shells which gets replaced when the need arises. This is just because the crashes and flips do happen and I have no problem with that. The guy who build a 10ft high ramp and then runs his Hot Shot or VLB or Pumpkin of there just to see what will happen, that is the person I have a problem with. Jumps on a race track is one thing, some ridiculously high man made jump is not fun but a criminal offence in my books. Lock them up and throw away the key!

Hope I am clearer now!

Cheers

Henk :D

Many members here race their TRF, TA, TB, DF and DB chassis' but do not spend much time talking on this site about it. I am sure most TC members who race Tamiyas go to other sites that cater more to racing like oOple and RCTech, and they contain pages of TRF/Tamiya coverage like setups and so on.

And yes, some will keep high end TRF machines in boxes and I have no problem with that, whatever makes you happy is how I see it ;) .

My two weapons for touring and offroad are the EVO IV and 501X (ATM), my racers have only seen the track, no bashing. Racing is just one part of this hobby IMO, I have a couple of runners (TG10 and King Cabs), shelfers and NIB's also which completes it :unsure: .

Just dropping two pennies....

Lack of advertising and friendly invitations to local races?

I often think this is a reason so few people race. Shops should have fliers and posters for local racing in the shop window and by the counter. When someone buys a kit shops could also mention local races, even just to encourage people to come and see and maybe pick up interest from there.

I know two different country Tamiya official importers who run race series, but are there posters and flyers in their showrooms, have I ever seen shop staff telling customers about up coming races? No. Its just poor marketing. Shame.

Racing is fun. I used to regularly race indoors in a large school gymnasium. People used to often come by and visit because the sheer number of cars parked outside made it look like a school fair and passers by used to come in an look. And it was always the flying buggies and mini classes more than any others that kept the spectators hanging around for a good look. Buggies for the crashes and minis for the fun of watching the chase each other and the odd VW bus hassling the little minis or alfa! :unsure:;)

Lack of advertising and friendly invitations to local races?

I often think this is a reason so few people race. Shops should have fliers and posters for local racing in the shop window and by the counter. When someone buys a kit shops could also mention local races, even just to encourage people to come and see and maybe pick up interest from there.

I know two different country Tamiya official importers who run race series, but are there posters and flyers in their showrooms, have I ever seen shop staff telling customers about up coming races? No. Its just poor marketing. Shame.

Racing is fun. I used to regularly race indoors in a large school gymnasium. People used to often come by and visit because the sheer number of cars parked outside made it look like a school fair and passers by used to come in an look. And it was always the flying buggies and mini classes more than any others that kept the spectators hanging around for a good look. Buggies for the crashes and minis for the fun of watching the chase each other and the odd VW bus hassling the little minis or alfa! :unsure:;)

I had been going to the same local hobby store since I moved to Las Vegas NV in 1990. I didn't find out they held parking lot races until about 2003. I didn't actually start attending these races until Nov 2007 (thanks to Tamiyaclub friends Highflyer and Richard.Tuffty). In all that time the shop never once offered up information about it's racing, let alone invited me to attend. Now I'm a regular and tell everyone I can about them. I even get the occasional co-worker to come and hang out for the evening...

I completely re-built my old vintage Thundershot with all the latest technology and modifications. I took it to the local off road track, and the other racers with modern cars were amazed at the performance of my car. The problem? Crappy Tamiya plastic. The car performed awesome but would never hold up to the abuse of real racing.

So now I bought a used 501x that came with a bunch of parts and a whole DB01 Durga spare car. I plan to race the 501x and bash with the Durga. Both cars are awesome in design (aside from the retarted wheel attachment method).

racing at which level?

Down here I know plenty who run 416s in Tourer, they're as competitive as any other out there.

Offroad not as popular as there are cheaper cars just as good out there -B44, Kyosho etc

Vintage? Last weekend's enduro... rough count half the field were Tamiya!

Where I am, Tamiya is on the top of the list when buying RCs, be it for racing or just running in the streets. Why?

1. Parts support - 95% of hobby shops stock Tamiya parts

2. Borgfeldt (Canada's Tamiya distributor) sponsors the Canadian TCS

We're lucky to have the distributor sponsor the races. They work with tracks and hobby shops to make the races happen. It's a win-win situation.

For non-TCS races: AE, X-Ray, Corally and Kyosho are also popular but you'll still see Tamiyas.

I had been going to the same local hobby store since I moved to Las Vegas NV in 1990. I didn't find out they held parking lot races until about 2003. I didn't actually start attending these races until Nov 2007 (thanks to Tamiyaclub friends Highflyer and Richard.Tuffty). In all that time the shop never once offered up information about it's racing, let alone invited me to attend. Now I'm a regular and tell everyone I can about them. I even get the occasional co-worker to come and hang out for the evening...

Thanks for the shout out Sean :D

I completely re-built my old vintage Thundershot with all the latest technology and modifications. I took it to the local off road track, and the other racers with modern cars were amazed at the performance of my car. The problem? Crappy Tamiya plastic. The car performed awesome but would never hold up to the abuse of real racing.

So now I bought a used 501x that came with a bunch of parts and a whole DB01 Durga spare car. I plan to race the 501x and bash with the Durga. Both cars are awesome in design (aside from the retarted wheel attachment method).

the retarded wheel attatchment method as you put it is awesome Tamiya have done this, this is becoming the standard fit across the 4wd manufacturers, so many different wheels fit many cars.

this can change wheel ofset and all sorts...................so for a racer this is ace! ;)

it shows Tamiya's commitment to its racers FAB............. :D

AND other drivers with non Tamiya's are using Tamiya wheels cos they so good ! ! !

the retarded wheel attatchment method as you put it is awesome Tamiya have done this, this is becoming the standard fit across the 4wd manufacturers, so many different wheels fit many cars.

this can change wheel ofset and all sorts...................so for a racer this is ace! ;)

it shows Tamiya's commitment to its racers FAB............. :D

AND other drivers with non Tamiya's are using Tamiya wheels cos they so good ! ! !

Just seems like an *** backwards way to mount wheels. You pull your front wheels off and the cross pin falls out of the star hub, plus it's a 10mm hub instead of a 12mm hub. On the rear, it's a different attachment (so no mix and matching fronts and rears if you wanted to) and it's just the cross pin sitting in a slot in the plastic rim. Not the most accurate way to mount a wheel. I much prefer the clamp on style 12mm star hubs all the way around.

Just seems like an *** backwards way to mount wheels. You pull your front wheels off and the cross pin falls out of the star hub, plus it's a 10mm hub instead of a 12mm hub. On the rear, it's a different attachment (so no mix and matching fronts and rears if you wanted to) and it's just the cross pin sitting in a slot in the plastic rim. Not the most accurate way to mount a wheel. I much prefer the clamp on style 12mm star hubs all the way around.

Actually the pin directly in the rim works great. The wheel is being located by the perfectly centered hole, and not a molded hex. The pin only serves to press the rim against the wheel nut, as well as keep the rim from spinning on the axle. No worries about the being perfectly centered or not. It's still not perfectly centered on a clamp-type 12mm wheel hex anyways. The only real bonus of having a clamp-type hex hub is to keep the pin from falling out should the wheel nut back off...

Personally I prefer this type, perfectly balanced unlike the clamp type with the offcenter screw. Not only is it balanced but the pin is easy to remove too.

DSCF0878.jpg