MadM@t

Caustic Soda.. Caution....

I have been using caustic soda to remove paint for quite some time now,

its stripped many Willies... a Lancia, scorcher, porsche 935, and more all with great success.

On my latest resto a Super Champ, it's stripped the body clean and the driver too,

the prievious owner had painted the roof, so i thought i'd chuck it in the bucket aswell thinking it strips off plastic it won't harm the metal parts,

how wrong was I......

post-27626-1258994215_thumb.jpg

Whoops....

So I am now in the hunt for replacement part, any help.....

Doh!

I'd say that was definitely on the caustic side :) Good luck on finding a replacement part and I'll add that to my list of "dont's" now!

Ops... yeah Caustic soda is corrosive so metals are a definate no go, pity you didn't stay with it and pull it out long before it really ate it!

James

BeetleLover

my favorite bar soap, made in india, has caustic soda in it.

good thing i'm not made of metal. lol

Caustic Soda, or Sodium Hydroxide NaOH. Is used in many soaps / detergents. It is an alkali (basic=high pH). In solution, it makes water more slippery, thus reducing the ability of oil / grease to bond together or to other things. This enables the water to float away bits of grease. It will not attack ferrous metals, iron, steel alloys etc. However, aluminium alloys will react even with dilute solutions. Industrally, NaOH is one of the products used to remove the thin aluminium oxide coating which forms very quickly on raw aluminium. Once this coating is removed, a deeper oxide coating can be grown electrically in sulphuric acid and then colored with dye, ie TRF ally hop-up blue!!