Sign in to follow this  
arh21

Simple Motor Advice Needed

Hi everyone, can someone explain the different types of motor setups (number of turns etc) because I have had mixed advice from different sources.

If I understand correctly the higher the number of turns, the lower the power of the motor but a higher RPM?

So how many turns does a standard Tamiya 540 motor have and what’s the difference between that and Tamiya RS-540 Sport Tuned motor?

One final thing is that brushless motors seem to have a lower number of turns, so how does a brushless 9 turn compare to a brushed motor?

Thanks

ARH21

The higher the number of turns, the lower power, the lower the RPM.

Usually they say that the silver-can has 27? 29? turns...

There are 2 different types of brushless-motors: Star-wound and Delta-wound motors.

Typically a 9,5T (brushless star-wound-motor) matches for a 17T Standard-DC motor.

The standard Tamiya 540 motor has 27 turns whereas the Tamiya RS-540 Sport Tuned motor has 23 turns.

That would be incorrect. Some general rules:

- more turns = less rpm, power and heat

- less turns = more rpm, power and heat

- more winds = slightly more resistance, and slightly less torque

Don't confuse winds with turns as they are not the same. Winds referers to the number of wires being wraped around the rotor stacks at the same time. A 10 turn double (or 10x2) means two wires are being wraped around the stack 10 times. A 12 turn Quad (or 12x4) would mean 4 wires being wraped around the stack 12 times. So all else being equal, power from greatest to least would go like this:

12x1

12x2

12x4

13x1

etc..

A sliver can is a 27T (27x1) rotor w/ zero timing on the brushes

A Sport tuned motor is a 27T (27x1) rotor w/ some timing on the brushes (some say it's 23T, but I seriously doubt it)

Of course there are many other factors that come into play when building a motor. Each motor can be tweaked and tuned to produce more torque, rpm and effeciency. This means some 27T race motors can easily out perform some 19T or even 15T motors. It just depends on how it was built and tuned...

Now when it comes to brushless motors, everything is different. It's hard to compare one to the other because brushless is still in it's infantcy. They are still getting more powerful all the time. 13.5 used to be equal to 27T, but now it's been pushed back to 17.5. Personally I would consider the 360-sized EZRUN 9T, somwhere around an inexpensive 12T brushed motor. When you start getting into sensored motors, things change considerably. The power is now being generated by dynamic timing inside the speed control. This means you can get much more rpm out higher turned motors that was never possible before. This allows you to gear short for torque, and still maintain speed down the straights...

That would be incorrect. Some general rules:

- more turns = less rpm, power and heat

- less turns = more rpm, power and heat

- more winds = slightly more resistance, and slightly less torque

Don't confuse winds with turns as they are not the same. Winds referers to the number of wires being wraped around the rotor stacks at the same time. A 10 turn double (or 10x2) means two wires are being wraped around the stack 10 times. A 12 turn Quad (or 12x4) would mean 4 wires being wraped around the stack 12 times. So all else being equal, power from greatest to least would go like this:

12x1

12x2

12x4

13x1

etc..

A sliver can is a 27T (27x1) rotor w/ zero timing on the brushes

A Sport tuned motor is a 27T (27x1) rotor w/ some timing on the brushes (some say it's 23T, but I seriously doubt it)

Of course there are many other factors that come into play when building a motor. Each motor can be tweaked and tuned to produce more torque, rpm and effeciency. This means some 27T race motors can easily out perform some 19T or even 15T motors. It just depends on how it was built and tuned...

Now when it comes to brushless motors, everything is different. It's hard to compare one to the other because brushless is still in it's infantcy. They are still getting more powerful all the time. 13.5 used to be equal to 27T, but now it's been pushed back to 17.5. Personally I would consider the 360-sized EZRUN 9T, somwhere around an inexpensive 12T brushed motor. When you start getting into sensored motors, things change considerably. The power is now being generated by dynamic timing inside the speed control. This means you can get much more rpm out higher turned motors that was never possible before. This allows you to gear short for torque, and still maintain speed down the straights...

Thanks everyone for your advice, its very helpful. I was thinking about getting one of those EZRUN 9T as they are only £50. I was going to put it in my Slash or Tamyia Mini.

I was thinking about getting one of those EZRUN 9T as they are only £50. I was going to put it in my Slash or Tamyia Mini.

You will not be disappointed unless you're not very good at driving.

Aren't the sport tuned motors now all just 27 turns with advanced timing?

- James

I personally believe they always were. There has always been some speculation that there is/was a 23T Sport Tuned Euro market version. I'm not exactly convinced.