Sign in to follow this  
Aij29

Two Pack Paint

Hi Guys

I`ve got a Pajero mtw thats ready for spraying,

A friend of mine owns an auto painting business and will paint the pajero for me,

However i have a couple of concerns,

Should i have it painted in 2 pack paint or waterbased with a 2 pack laquer? (loads more colour choice in water based)

I`m worried that by the time its been primed/base coated and laquered i`ll lose the body detail?

And finally when the paint has cured and i`m doing the final detailing sidelights/door handles etc

will the Humbrol enamel react with the paint below??

Many thanks

Adrian

The more paint layers applied the more definition will be lost - however as he is a pro he should know this!

A light prime (make sure its plastic primer!), nib off and then top coat - doesnt matter what and then a clear again doesnt matter. If it is ok for a 1.1 car then it is fine for a model!

The humbrol paint will not react with a 2pack finish - only cellulose based paints might, or things like nail varnish remover

The more paint layers applied the more definition will be lost - however as he is a pro he should know this!

A light prime (make sure its plastic primer!), nib off and then top coat - doesnt matter what and then a clear again doesnt matter. If it is ok for a 1.1 car then it is fine for a model!

The humbrol paint will not react with a 2pack finish - only cellulose based paints might, or things like nail varnish remover

Being in the auto repair industry my self, i'm a panel beater by trade but i CAN paint.

I would not use auto paints from a gun to paint a model, they apply FAR too much paint, and it's notably thicker than the Tamiya aerosols.

2K ( 2pac) paint is great. Much more durable than TS and if done well the finish can be spectacular right off the gun. I agree you will need a plastic primer. These are very commonly used in the automotive spray shops for use on plastic trim and bumpers etc. The plastic primers i have had the most sucess with contain MEK Methyl Ethyl Ketone ( a some what nasty compound also found in tamiya cement (glue) ). The MEK chemically and microscopically etches the super smooth plastic. This then allows your primer to key into and therefor stick on / into the plastic surface. The plastic primer only needs a dusting coat, and you can flash the normal tamiya primer straight over the top. Some experts with argue if you are using Tamiya Primer, then you will not need this step. However, 2K paint cures partially from the release of the solvent, (like normal 1 pack paint), but mostly from the chemical reaction between the paint and catalyst, similar to epoxy glue. This reaction continues for sometime even after the paint appears to be dry, with the tightening of the paint on to the surface. The more adhesion the paint has to the surface, the more even the stress and better the finish. For your Pajero, no drama, use a touch-up gun.