c_a_r_t_e_r

Lo-Rider Lunchbox

I haven't seen anyone do one of these yet - what do you all think?

While I'm waiting for my bearings to arrive to finish the build (body already done in a custom box-art style!), I've been thinking about getting CVA short shocks to stabilise it a bit.

Then it occurred to me that mabye I could get low profile road tyres for the standard yellow wheels, and use normal touring car shocks to lower the ride? [8D]

Any advice would be much appreciated! Do such tyres exist?

Cheers!

Tim

Cheers MrP!

Yes, I was thinking about that option for a while when I was planning a scale looking custom van on a 210mm chassis, but I didn't like the way the wheels stuck out of the arches, and steering seemed to be compromised too? Limited to mini-wheels as well, which doesn't leave much choice of styles?

Ideally I'd like a lo-rider lunchbox on fat wide tyres, with just enough suspension travel for a bouncy ride - and still be able to pull wheelies on tarmac!

I think the lunchbox wheels are a weird 2.1" size though, so tyres are a problem.

Tim

Wheels will be limited and you need the thing on stilts or with widened arches for it to work properly I reckon. This was just an idea I had ages ago, the LB shell is laid on top of my Striker Mini 4WD chassis too see if it would all line up. For your project, you could go for HPI adapters so you can fit 2.2" wheels then get hold of some Schumacher Venom truck tyres or Pro Line Road Hawgs. My main worry would be the crazy camber and toe in angle you'd get on the front wheels if it was lowered.

sounds like you'd have to junk the lower chassis and build it pajero style with hornet front and rear suspention(re-located to the alternate mountings on the chassis to lower it enough) use a hump back battery which fits on the rear of the chassis and that should lower it loads

i have seen lower profile tyres fitted on lunchboxs and im also after a set for a secret project maybe 2 sets for now as i may give this a go too or maybe adapt a pair of grasshopper rear wheels to fit the front with grasshopper wheels and tyres on the rear to make it wild willys style

• Like 1

I did what Pushrod has done just to see what it would look like.

img34_08042004054219_6.jpg

What I think would look even hotter is a chassis based on a pan car. the huge rear wheels would give it the tubbed look

• Like 2

Yeah, Shodog's was my first inspiration - but look at the way the front wheel touches the wheelarch - I mocked it up with my M03, and to get a realistic body height (as per the photo) the steering just didn't seem to work with those fat mini-wheels. If there was a scale (about half) width mini-wheel and tyre available it could be possible...but then the chassis width is still a problem.

I think the only solution is a Celica or 959 1/12 chassis?

I'm after a more tricked out wheely machine really though, that runs sweet on tarmac. like Pete says, Wild willy style!! [8D]

Tim

use an associated pan car type chassis parts and your own fiberglass plate

you could make the front wheels tuck inside mthe body more, and use any wheel tire combo you like. Chassis could be tucked up inside the body to accomodate any tire. By putting a slightly large rear RUBBER tire and proper gearing you could get wheelies too while keeping the body level.

just tried the pajero willys style look built up an old chassis put on 3 old homemade body mounts and shoved a couple of falcon wheels on it looks ok just gotta nock up some wheels and shocks for the front and it suold be ready for a test run just to see if it worksthe wheels stick out past the body looks cool

You can put it on a Porsche 956 chassis too. I did this a while back to see what it would look like. It looked pretty cool with the wide back tires!

• Like 2

Just had a quick read of the thread. Alot of you seem to be mentioning the issue with the wheels sticking out. Just a simple thought that popped into me head. Widen the shell 1/4 of inch or maybe half inch. Simple and easy to do, As its a hard shell. Alittle filler . And et voila. A low rider box ! With wheels in the arches...Or and even simpler trick, Shave the hexes down. As i had to do on my queen queen bug in my showroom. have a look !

Gawannnnn you know you want to [;)]

Wish i could do that - very nice [:P]

quote:
Originally posted by Shodog

I did what Pushrod has done just to see what it would look like.

img34_08042004054219_6.jpg

What I think would look even hotter is a chassis based on a pan car. the huge rear wheels would give it the tubbed look

id="quote">id="quote">

very nice but i think i prefure the wild willy style more as it would be cheaper to do

can any one tell me how to get a pick on the fouroms

if i can get a pick on here i will put a pick of my lowered lunchbox on here when its done just need some wild willys 2 rear wheel hexs now

On 20/9/2005 at 11:00 AM, Big Al(2) said:

You can put it on a Porsche 956 chassis too. I did this a while back to see what it would look like. It looked pretty cool with the wide back tires!

Wow! I did not expect it would fit and look so cool! I'm just testing the LB body over the 1984 Porsche 956 chassis tonight, and I'm loving the overall looks :wub:

photo IMG_9038_zpsa4xoawwn.jpg

Porsche 956 (1984) chassis w/ Lunchbox Dodge bodyshell photo IMG_9035_zps08petgyi.jpg

Porsche 956 (1984) chassis w/ Lunchbox Dodge bodyshell photo IMG_9037_zpsd0rx5fqe.jpg

Porsche 956 (1984) chassis w/ Lunchbox Dodge bodyshell photo IMG_9036_zpsvb20oopw.jpg

:)

• Like 3

Wow, I was going to give you grief about the 11 year thread ressurection, Erich. But I think this is justified! That actually looks awesome!

You should keep the lunchbox body on the porsche chassis and put the vintage pumpkin body back on the vintage chassis = win/win! :D

• Like 1

Wow, I waited all these years for closure and finally, I can sleep in peace....

Looks good.

Also we now have the low rider pumpkin as an official release so that chassis would also work on the lunch box.

• Like 1

I read the entire first part of this thread thinking "WR02C with chassis extenders..."

• Like 1

Weird, I’ve been thinking about doing this for the last decade!

Sorry about bringing this back again:unsure: 

• Haha 3

Just having a read, is it possible to fit the lunchbox body lower on it’s original chassis? Then fit a set of monster beetle wheels shod with aqroshot tyres.  Limit the original shocks to stop any body rub. Would that work?  

1 hour ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Just having a read, is it possible to fit the lunchbox body lower on it’s original chassis? Then fit a set of monster beetle wheels shod with aqroshot tyres.  Limit the original shocks to stop any body rub. Would that work?  

You would need to either flip the body mounts (if even possible) or drill the holes higher up on the body and fill the old ones.

Resurrecting this thread. Gonna start on one myself. For the record the Midnight Pumkin Lowride is not a great candidate to pop a Lunchbox body on. Will post pics here shortly showing the problems with that.