tamiya_mike

New Can Am Lola

I have a new Can Am Lola, which is in my showroom/traderoom...are these popular? I am not new to the hobby, but I had never heard of them. Are they rare?

They are from the 80s... collectible as I read elsewhere in Tamiyaclub...

They aren't popular as they are 1/12th scale cars which are a minority class. Of course being the first of the Racing Master series the Can Am is very collectable amongst those who collect the on road cars, but us 1/12th fans are a tiny minority compared to buggy fans.

Is collectible if only for the typical Tamiya (over)engineering... great display, should do a diorama like in the old catalogs. :(

On the track Lola RM1 handled much better than its older 1/12th CS cousins but that wasn't saying much;

by that time the Associated RC12e and other simpler/lighter cars were available which ran rings around it.

All that potmetal in a 1/12th made it too sluggish on pickup & around corners.

They're not crazily priced for what they are, usually (unpainted uncut NIB) shell is the dearest component.

Next would be the correct Black 540SD motor; rest of chassis parts appear for sale regularly imho.

They're not crazily priced for what they are, usually (unpainted uncut NIB) shell is the dearest component.

Next would be the correct Black 540SD motor; rest of chassis parts appear for sale regularly imho.

Only some chassis parts are common - quite a few are nigh on unobtainable.

For example - rear bumper, front bulkhead and motor mounts are near impossible to find. The wheels/tires, chassis plate, A parts, front bumper, speed control, rear axle, spur gear sets and diff are still readily available. Everything else is very difficult to find, but not impossible. B parts and body parts/decals are tricky, but do come up from time to time.

That said - while not hugely sought after, complete cars are still collectible, and have a niche collector fan base, so do go for good money.

- James