tamiya_mike

Clodbuster Steering Problem

I fitted my Clod with a high torque servo, and the steering is still horrible. I wasnt this thing to turn as tight as possible. What do I need to do?

I fitted my Clod with a high torque servo, and the steering is still horrible. I wasnt this thing to turn as tight as possible. What do I need to do?

Did you try changing the length of the servo tie rods? You know, the ones that run from the servo horn to each end of the truck?

Did you try changing the length of the servo tie rods? You know, the ones that run from the servo horn to each end of the truck?

No, I did not do anything. Is that recommended? If I change the length of them...by how much should I change it? If I make them too short they will not even reach.

from what I'm told, all clods as standard have terrible steering! My superclod certainly does, but that is mainly due to one of the plastic parts that the long rod from the servo being a lot weaker than it should be. I've been looking into getting the gearbox-mounted servo plates, or maybe doing something of my own, as I think thats the only way to improve things!

from what I'm told, all clods as standard have terrible steering! My superclod certainly does, but that is mainly due to one of the plastic parts that the long rod from the servo being a lot weaker than it should be. I've been looking into getting the gearbox-mounted servo plates, or maybe doing something of my own, as I think thats the only way to improve things!

I have to do something...it is terrible!

I have to do something...it is terrible!

Well...You can try to adjust the length of those rods I was talkin about. If your turning circle is to large try lengthing them. Also My rear Steering post was too tight and my servo was fighting it, so that might be in issue too. Check front and rear to see if they are too tight.

If you want it to turn as tight as possible, you'll want to take a look at some after market gearbox mounted servo brackets. There are plenty of different companies that manufacture them :o

The problem with the clods standard steering are the servo savers that tamiya incorporated into the system (the spring and levers that go through the gearboxes), the number of tie rods and the fact that one servo isn't really enough for 4 massive tyres.

Mounting a servo to each gearbox removes just about all the issues, you'll certainly notice the difference. If you want to keep it more original, after market parts are available that replace the servo saving linkage with solid aluminium parts. With the springs and servo saving action removed, the steering will be improved, though you will be putting more strain on the servo.

I find that adjusting the linkage with a bit of trail and error improves things. Don't over tighten those servo savers either. The clod also steers better the faster you drive it :)

If you want it to turn as tight as possible, you'll want to take a look at some after market gearbox mounted servo brackets. There are plenty of different companies that manufacture them :o

The problem with the clods standard steering are the servo savers that tamiya incorporated into the system (the spring and levers that go through the gearboxes), the number of tie rods and the fact that one servo isn't really enough for 4 massive tyres.

Mounting a servo to each gearbox removes just about all the issues, you'll certainly notice the difference. If you want to keep it more original, after market parts are available that replace the servo saving linkage with solid aluminium parts. With the springs and servo saving action removed, the steering will be improved, though you will be putting more strain on the servo.

I find that adjusting the linkage with a bit of trail and error improves things. Don't over tighten those servo savers either. The clod also steers better the faster you drive it :)

Where can I find the kit to allow me to mount the servos to the gearboxes? Do they still ahve to be high torque servos? I just want it to be able to turn like any "normal" monster truck should...right now it just does not do anything.

If you want decent steering from a Clod then you want two servos and mount them on each gearbox. You can buy various servo mounting kits, or make your own from a flat plate of aluminium of fibreglass and a pair of servo mount posts, like here:

img169_21092005214708_4_350.jpg

If you want to see what can be done to a Clod, have a browse through Twinsets showroom http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=169

1897363-holy_thread_resurrection.jpg

sorry to bump an old thread, but with the steering servos mounted on each axle can they be spliced and wired together so they work with a 2 channel receiver and DON'T work independantly?

1897363-holy_thread_resurrection.jpg

sorry to bump an old thread, but with the steering servos mounted on each axle can they be spliced and wired together so they work with a 2 channel receiver and DON'T work independantly?

Yes, also you can buy a servo Y lead if you don't want to mess about with home made wiring, and ripmax also do a Y lead with a reverse on one channel, in case you need one servo to operate in the opposite direction to the other in order to get the steering to turn instead of crab.

Yes, also you can buy a servo Y lead if you don't want to mess about with home made wiring, and ripmax also do a Y lead with a reverse on one channel, in case you need one servo to operate in the opposite direction to the other in order to get the steering to turn instead of crab.

That's good to know! I'll be looking at doing this to improve the steeering eventually

That's good to know! I'll be looking at doing this to improve the steeering eventually

Not only does the steering sux, but also the steering on the front axle is usually very poor while the rear axle turns without problems.

The recomend tie rod length in the manual(same length for both) doesnt get the best steering since the front tie rod goes very horizontal while the one to the rear servo saver goes in a angle slighty upwards, What i did to improve the front steering on my super clod was to make the front tie rod shorter (5-6 turns) and now the front turns almost as much as the rear