fmannz

Suspension Options For Hotshot Runner

As luck would have it, I just started digging out some of my HotShot parts last night. I came across the Parma Bump Steer Eliminator. I can't locate my photo of the parts, but essentially it is a replacement ball coupling for the front upright/bearing carrier. You take a 3x8 screw through the upright hole into a LONGER ball coupler that is nearly 22mm in length. It is tapped for the m3 screw and locked with a washer. Parma drilled a hole(much like the dogbone cups) to recieve and allen key to hold a good torque. I am afraid this probably didn't work well, but for the day, it may have taken some slop out. I would be afraid that all that torque on the small holes of the upright where the original steering arms connect to would help snap the plastic upright which happened a lot to me. The original HotShot upright had 3 holes to choose from and the replacement for the HotShotII and into the TA series chassis(see my post on the part that won't die) had only 2 holes. PART NUMBER FOR THE BUMP STEER ELIMINATOR KIT IS #12853

A side note, both Parma and CRP sold those front suspension arm bracket that is red in color on that flying SuperShot photo. The Parma part I have is black and the CRP part I have is red. I don't think the current ebay seller CRP has those, but it would be great and a great seller if he made them available again. THE PARMA PART NUMBER FOR THE HOT SHOT FRONT SUSP. ARM BRACKET IS #12850

I don't have any spares, just pulling this data from all my parts header cards that I have saved. Good luck with your project and search. I can't find the CRP part number at the moment.

Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Sorry, didn't like the Yeah Racing shocks. Look bling but the finish is far off "racing standard". The cylinders are not true on the inside. Was thinking about grinding down Losi or AE pistons, but since the cylinders are not true it wouldn't be perfect in any case. But the Tamiya TRF shocks are perfect! Silky smooth action!

OK, I thought the Parma kit was something like that! ;) Tried myself some time ago to make very long ball links, but it just becomes too wobbly... and as you point out, prone to break the plastic upright. Tried the same on my Re-re Frog... But the best solution is to make a whole new steering "rack".

It can't be said often enough: THANK YOU Tamiya for making these Re-releases! Just makes you LOVE Tamiyas even more! I've never heard of any manufacturer that's been doing this! Simply UNIQUE!!!

Checked bottoming out: It's great, lots of extra shock travel front and rear with the TRF shocks!

@Radshape: Could you make an aluminum (black) suspension arm bracket please?

...and he actually had braces, bought already!

I've asked him if he can list some more on ebay!

Thanks again Martin!

Sorry, didn't like the Yeah Racing shocks. Look bling but the finish is far off "racing standard". The cylinders are not true on the inside. Was thinking about grinding down Losi or AE pistons, but since the cylinders are not true it wouldn't be perfect in any case. But the Tamiya TRF shocks are perfect! Silky smooth action!

When you said that the cylinders were not true, did you mean that you were able to rock the piston from left to right and that the piston rod can actually move sideaways? I found that too and then found out that the 'damper spacer' and the 'silicone 0-ring' was inserted wrongly.

The trfs that you used, were they the ones for the DB-01 hop-up dampers? Do you have the tamiya 5 digit part number?

When you said that the cylinders were not true, did you mean that you were able to rock the piston from left to right and that the piston rod can actually move sideaways? I found that too and then found out that the 'damper spacer' and the 'silicone 0-ring' was inserted wrongly.

The trfs that you used, were they the ones for the DB-01 hop-up dampers? Do you have the tamiya 5 digit part number?

Yup, didn't check the O-ring (will do!). But I also took out the rod/piston, and tested it into the cylinder (from the other side). There's a big difference in slop depending on where in the cylinder you are. I also tried TRF pistons, but the problem is the cylinder. I'm guessing this has happened when they've hardcoated the cylinder and not the milling itself. When you assemble them you can easily feel the "pinch" some places (might be better with your tip of course). If necessary you could of course grind down the piston a bit to avoid the pinch. Still, the shock effect won't be great with this "variable" dampening effect. Plus right vs. left is probably no good...

Not to forget the MASSIVE play between the E-clips. This must be shimmed so that the piston cannot move at all! That's the worst play I've ever seen! Again, this is for good shock action.

I think it was something like you mention as to the TRF shocks. Bought them a couple of years ago from JR-RC. Sorry, don't recall the part no... (I'll see if I can find the tag)

just sent an mail to synchrocnc on ebay. looks like you cleaned out his last 2 braces that he had on ebay ... :lol: hopefully he has more on offer ... i have till next summer before the vintage races start

was wondering if it was tamiya 54028. this is for the db-01, dt-03 & dt-02. i have not been able to find out the E2E length and stroke length for these dampers ... just wished tamiya will just publish them. was the reason i went for the yeah racing ones as they gave those specs which i very much appreciated and of course they were much cheaper as i am only going to use them for bashing ...

just sent an mail to synchrocnc on ebay. looks like you cleaned out his last 2 braces that he had on ebay ... :lol: hopefully he has more on offer ... i have till next summer before the vintage races start

was wondering if it was tamiya 54028. this is for the db-01, dt-03 & dt-02. i have not been able to find out the E2E length and stroke length for these dampers ... just wished tamiya will just publish them. was the reason i went for the yeah racing ones as they gave those specs which i very much appreciated and of course they were much cheaper as i am only going to use them for bashing ...

I think he has more, I sent him an email yesterday, and he then listed them right away (there was none listed before that).

I'll see what I can find as to the TRFs...

I think he has more, I sent him an email yesterday, and he then listed them right away (there was none listed before that).

very true ... and one on the way to me now :lol:

I'm glad to hear that! ;)

Didn't find the tag for those TRF shocks. But the total length of them are 80mm front and 110mm rear.

They are designed to snap onto ball links, not be screwed on regrettably.

I'm glad to hear that! :)

Didn't find the tag for those TRF shocks. But the total length of them are 80mm front and 110mm rear.

They are designed to snap onto ball links, not be screwed on regrettably.

If these are the TRF shocks that are used on the DB01, they do come with mounting hardware to screw on. I was actually surprised by that when I put them on my DB01. I need pics of what you have done here man! ;) Not that I can justify spending the $75 USD on another set for my Hotshot this time. But would be nice to see!

If these are the TRF shocks that are used on the DB01, they do come with mounting hardware to screw on. I was actually surprised by that when I put them on my DB01. I need pics of what you have done here man! ;) Not that I can justify spending the $75 USD on another set for my Hotshot this time. But would be nice to see!

Sure, will do in between all the diaper changing! :lol:

They didn't come with any metal hardware, just tons of plastic ball cups/links... so I used the mounting hardware from the Yeah Racing shocks.

Full update on the car here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...=25102010145820

img22039_16122008115049_1.jpg

Sure, will do in between all the diaper changing! :)

They didn't come with any metal hardware, just tons of plastic ball cups/links... so I used the mounting hardware from the Yeah Racing shocks.

Full update on the car here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...=25102010145820

img22039_16122008115049_1.jpg

That is a beautiful buggy... I love all of the attention to detail on the body and other mods that are actually attractive. I also like the fact that you are going as far from box art as you can. When you get done with the diapers, get a pic with the new dampers :D I have a 3 year old and 6 month old boy, I know the drill LOL

Thanks!

than is a nice hotshot ... cheers for the e2e lengths for the trf shocks.

tamiya also do the suspension ball mount that you can slot into a screw, much like ones that comes with the yeah racing dampers set, tamiya code 50994.

Thx! I measured end to end (not eye).

I'll get some pics up very soon! I just love the looks of the original mono shocks, but now we go for performance! :)

Bump Steer:

Here's a small vid of how bad it is originally:

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/SHY...t=BumpSteer.mp4

Some pics before and after the RC Channel Anti Bump Steer kit is installed: (notice also the nice front support rod from Madinventor)

RCbump1.jpg

RCbump4.jpg

RCbump3.jpg

RCbump2.jpg

RCbump6.jpg

RCbump7.jpg

RCbump5.jpg

And the Tamiya TRF shocks mounted (note I flipped the front suspension mounts left/right to incline the shocks more):

TRF1.jpg

TRF2.jpg

TRF3.jpg

TRF4.jpg

TRF5.jpg

TRF6.jpg

TRF7.jpg

TRF8.jpg

TRF10.jpg

Looks Great.

To me the front ride height is too low or maybe the angle of the pic, But the front arms are below level. Maybe needs more preload????

Nice shocks and best of all they are Tamiya.

I have the RC Channel steering kit but didn't like the ground clearance. How does it go??? Any better with that steering mod.??

My Hot Shot has the full rc channel metal kit and has made it 300g fatter!!!!!!

Thx! No worries, it's still "in the garage"... lots of mods still to be done before it hits the track again next spring! :D

So never mind ride height etc, nothing is set up yet.

Didn't even bother to test it with the kit. It's nicely made, but I just couldn't live with that poor ride height.

Now waiting for an alu steering rack that will be fitted... (see that other tread about poor steering)

I'll keep the car as light as possible. Our local track just got astro, so grip will not be a problem anymore! :)

Thx! No worries, it's still "in the garage"... lots of mods still to be done before it hits the track again next spring! :D

So never mind ride height etc, nothing is set up yet.

Didn't even bother to test it with the kit. It's nicely made, but I just couldn't live with that poor ride height.

Now waiting for an alu steering rack that will be fitted... (see that other tread about poor steering)

I'll keep the car as light as possible. Our local track just got astro, so grip will not be a problem anymore! :)

That looks awesome.. I have all of the upper brackets for independent suspension, I am just missing the lower brackets that mount to the control arms. My wife would have my balls if I spent as much time tinkering with mine as you do. LOL

Thanks for the pics! I look forward to seeing the new steering setup!

LOL! Just give her a good "overhaul", let her go to sleep... than back to the tinkering... :)

did you need to do any modification to the chassis to fit the rc channel anti bump steer?

i see you have ditched the front stabilizer (sway bars) to get the shock to incline a bit more ...

what do you folks think of the difference it makes in terms of handling ...

1) with the stabilizer and an almost vertical shock angle or

2) without the stabilizer and a more inclined shock

No, the RC Channel kit is plug & play! And very easy instructions, they deserve a lot of credit for that! It's a very good kit!

I just don't like the lack of ground clearance (it's not great with the std. solution either) >> modify! :D

Well, we very seldom use sway bars in competition buggy racing. And I think for these oldies it's even less useful. They take away grip, and buggies need that.

I only use sway bars if I have traction rolling problems on astro turf... and it's gotta be fairly flat also! Sway bars are not great over bumps! And I then only use it in the rear. Up front it takes away too much steering = slower. You can never have enough steering! :P

So I say away with them, both front & rear - you'll be faster and more consistent without them! Unless you insist on using vintage tires and have massive oversteer - then a front sway bar would cure that a little bit.

I've done a lot of 1:8 TR racing, and there we always use thick sway bars front & rear. But then again we have MASSIVE grip and extreme cornering speeds! :)

More or less all competiton cars now have quite inclined shocks. Works like a charm!

Some moderator on TC please make a "sticky" Shot tread!?

LOL! Just give her a good "overhaul", let her go to sleep... than back to the tinkering... :)

Ah! The good ole' "oil change and packing her bearings" trick... genius! :D

I've got the 50305 Front short damper set on order so the front end suspension upgrade is taken care of. Since the HP Suspension set is basically impossible to find these days I'm in the process of making the rear suspension bits myself. I'll post pics when I get it together. Thanks for the part numbers on those Yeah Racing dampers, they look like a better alternative to those yellow CVAs.

Guess all shocks with the standard length will fit.

But i also paid more than 100$ for the HP kit

144987_l.jpg

I have all the HP set parts, used, unboxed and missing some o-rings but otherwise in good order.

I'm open to offers, if anyone is interested.