Sign in to follow this  
Typhoon

F1 Racing Chassis Options

Hi guys, I haven't kept up with the different F1 Chassis's and need a bit help choosing one for the re-release Brabham BT-50 body kit I bought. I read that these bodies were desinged to fit F103 chassis? Can someone confirm. Searching I find F103RM, RS, RX and GT - what are the differance and which should I get. I just want one for runner, not racing. Or is there any other chassis that will fit that I should be getting.

Cheers

Searching I find F103RM, RS, RX and GT - what are the differance and which should I get.

Apart from the GT, the differences are very minor. Some have an alloy oil shock, lightweight diff parts, link suspension, rear T piece ball pivots, etc.

None of which will make any difference to the way they drive for running, and will make very little difference while racing.

The only exception is the F103GT, that one was designed specifically to allow touring car wheels and tyres to be fitted and is impossible to fit F1 size wheels on it.

As for alternatives, there are several other F1 chassis manufacturers that would do, but unless you live in Japan forget about easily getting hold of spares for them.

The Tamiya F104 and 3Racing F109 are the big sellers amongst new cars, but their wheelbase is 20-25mm longer than the F103 and is too long for your body.

Thanks, I think I have decided to go for a F103RM as they are readily available and seeminly the most economical option.