bossgrabber1970

The Dream May Become Reality...........

i was thinking about the 200mm width chassis like the ta-02w or any electric chassis with that width. hpi did a good job with the pantera body and i figured they might do a very good job on the interceptor with a 200mm/210mm width

Yeah, and you should check out their other muscle cars from the same series:

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7717/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7494/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17519/

I don't own any of these, but I do like the finished examples I've seen around here and elsewhere.. If they could do one in this quality, I think I'd be forced to do one of the last V8 interceptors in 1/10!

To get it in 1:10 scale neatly you are looking at 196mm wide and 282mm wheelbase. Using a 200mm wide body means a longer wheelbase still. At 190mm width it would be about the same length as a DF01 buggy (277mm).

To get a Tamiya chassis to fit nicely under a 1:10 reduction you would take a TA02 chassis and fit a TA01 tub and drive shaft to it (or Top Force FRP plate set) (190mm wide/277mm wheelbase)... or leave out the driveshaft completely and leave it RWD only like the real car.

The rear 'hips' of the 2-door is where it gets it's wider body compared to the 4 door. Both have the same wheel track. There's no trouble fitting 10" wide wheels and 325 tyres under the rear of the Coupe. Falcons are BIG cars!

Yeah, and you should check out their other muscle cars from the same series:

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7717/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7494/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17519/

I don't own any of these, but I do like the finished examples I've seen around here and elsewhere.. If they could do one in this quality, I think I'd be forced to do one of the last V8 interceptors in 1/10!

i actually had the pantera and the camaro when i was running nitro about 3 years ago. now i'm on electrics especially brushless and lipos. if hpi would make the base falcon xb/xc, i would buy about 5 of them!!!! it wouldn't be a problem for them to come up with 1 master mold and have the extra stuff like the spoilers, flares, and nose molded separately so the builder can choose either stock, modified, or a little of both, but the blower and pipes would have to be mandatory with the kit. also the decals would include the xa, xb, and the xc front grill and the interceptor front lights. the rear of the car is the same for all the version from what i seen from pics of the different models.

i actually had the pantera and the camaro when i was running nitro about 3 years ago. now i'm on electrics especially brushless and lipos. if hpi would make the base falcon xb/xc, i would buy about 5 of them!!!! it wouldn't be a problem for them to come up with 1 master mold and have the extra stuff like the spoilers, flares, and nose molded separately so the builder can choose either stock, modified, or a little of both, but the blower and pipes would have to be mandatory with the kit. also the decals would include the xa, xb, and the xc front grill and the interceptor front lights. the rear of the car is the same for all the version from what i seen from pics of the different models.

The grills of the XA/XB/XC are very different in shape and size, as are the location fo the turn indicators and tail lights and bumpers. The profile of the bonnet and front gaurds is different between XA and XB/XC. Link to see the differences.

The front of the Interceptor is 100% custom and is based on the then released 'squarer' XD Falcon.

XAGT_large-01.jpg

My old XA GT. Fitted with XC bonnet, grill, gaurds and bumper. Yes... that's me on the bonnet :)

To get it in 1:10 scale neatly you are looking at 196mm wide and 282mm wheelbase. Using a 200mm wide body means a longer wheelbase still. At 190mm width it would be about the same length as a DF01 buggy (277mm).

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but it's typical for the designers to fudge with the dimensions to get it to both fit on the chassis and look scale. Pretty much all 1/10 bodies are too wide to be considered perfectly scale. Most cars IRL are long and narrowish when viewed from a giant's line-of-sight!

The grills of the XA/XB/XC are very different in shape and size, as are the location fo the turn indicators and tail lights and bumpers. The profile of the bonnet and front gaurds is different between XA and XB/XC.

The front of the Interceptor is 100% custom and is based on the then release 'sqaurer' XD Falcon.

http://madmaxmovies.com/cars/Replica/Black/index.html. check out this link or go to www.madmaxmovies.com for more pics. either way, the designers at the model companies can and possibly find a way to make one and it will be at scale or so close we can't tell the difference.

If they can get it right I'd be in for a few too. I doubt they will though going on past experiences with their 'muscle car' bodies. Getting the severe undercut at the bottom of the body is nigh on impossible on a lexan body and this is a key factor on all older cars to get them to look real. The likes of their Mustang and Camaro I would not buy. From the mid point of the body down just looks terrible, as does the ones I linked in my first post from the Aussie body maker, which is why I haven't purchased any of his bodies.

The only well done lexan bodies I've seen of older cars with the severe undercut needed have been 2 or 3 piece bodies, or they are moulded in ABS or Styrene.

XAGT_large-01.jpg

My old XA GT. Fitted with XC bonnet, grill, gaurds and bumper. Yes... that's me on the bonnet :unsure:

Awesome!

I had a Landau years ago (XB Coupe with LTD front and interior)

Not my car, just a random googled image of one:

landau4.jpg

I wish I still had it <_<

And then of course, the Night Rider:

"The Nightrider's vehicle, another Pursuit Special, was a 1972 Holden HQ LS Monaro coupe." (from Wikipedia)

07_Mad_Max_Car_at_Silverton_Hotel_S.jpg

that's a picture of an XC falcon hardtop, not a HQ Monaro...

that's a picture of an XC falcon hardtop, not a HQ Monaro...

Oh - Ok... No wonder I can't get these straight!!! <_<

Awesome!

I had a Landau years ago (XB Coupe with LTD front and interior)

Not my car, just a random googled image of one:

landau4.jpg

I wish I still had it <_<

I only bought the 2-door Falcon for it's driveline. I knew then how badly they handled and wanted the heavy duty running gear and 4V 351C/Toploader/9 inch diff for an XC Falcon GS Sundowner Panelvan build.

Panelvan_large-04.jpg

The Landau is a LTD 2-door in it's own right and not an XB. The panelwork is quite different, althought the floorpan is the same as the XB (Compare the back windows).

I only bought the 2-door Falcon for it's driveline. I knew then how badly they handled and wanted the heavy duty running gear and 4V 351C/Toploader/9 inch diff for an XC Falcon GS Sundowner Panelvan build.

Panelvan_large-04.jpg

The Landau is a LTD 2-door in it's own right and not an XB. The panelwork is quite different, althought the floorpan is the same as the XB (Compare the back windows).

some of the worst handling cars had some of the best body work. the mustangs were no real road cars from the factory but with a little work, they perform pretty well. most of the cars during that time period handled like dogs unless you shelled out big bucks for something like a porsche or any other "sports" car. that's what made muscle cars "muscle cars", they were known for straight line speed, not cornering. to me, the falcon was aussies version of the american muscle car and ford should have followed their designs and produced similar products like that in america after 1973 instead of giving us the mustang II and others. now back to the original discussion, i think the falcon would be a great body to produce for r/c if it was placed on the 200/210mm chassis. with that basic design, it wouldn't be impossible to replicate most of the falcon series by just doing minor mods. now for those who want a true representation of the car, hard plastic would be the way to go due to the more details they can add, but with anything, you will pay a lot more for the details. look at the price of some of the hard plastic tamiya bodies, very well detailed but they cost so much. with something that costly, i wouldn't want to use it as a runner.

There was an Aussie guy making Max Max and street XY/XA/XB/XC Falcon coupe bodies and selling them on ebay. I've not seen one of his auctions for some time now. They weren't too bad to look at, although a bit disproportionate being squashed to fit 190mm/200mm wide and 257mm length wheelbase. He also made some of the Aussie Holdens. Monaros, Toranas, Kingswoods and the Sandman Panelvan.

I've owned a 1:1 XA GT 351 coupe. Very powerful car, drives like a dog... To quote a famous Aussie racer from the 70's "Someone should tie it to a tree and shoot the mongrel thing". The wheelbase of the real deal is too short and the rear comes around very quickly. The 4 door sedan of the same model Falcon is a longer wheelbase and far better balanced. The 2-doors bend in the middle easily too having no B-pillar.

EDIT: The guy is still making and selling them. Painted and un-painted versions. Here is his ebay shop.

You are incorrect about the wheelbase of the 2 door and 4 door, they are exactly the same. The only Australian 2 door to have a different wheelbase to it's 4 door equivalent was the Valiant Charger.

You are incorrect about the wheelbase of the 2 door and 4 door, they are exactly the same. The only Australian 2 door to have a different wheelbase to it's 4 door equivalent was the Valiant Charger.

You are welcome to come measure my tailshaft collection. Having swapped many a driveline between Falcons I know there is a difference. I discovered this when I was about 16 and took the driveline from a XB 2 door Falcon 500 2V 351C and fitted it to a XA 4-door Fairmont for my Brother. We needed to hunt around wreckers for the longer driveshaft. Have always been mindful of the difference in future builds.

The other thing that owners of both would notice is the lack of legroom in the back of the coupe. From the front seat mounts forward is identical to the 4-door.

You are welcome to come measure my tailshaft collection. Having swapped many a driveline between Falcons I know there is a difference. I discovered this when I was about 16 and took the driveline from a XB 2 door Falcon 500 2V 351C and fitted it to a XA 4-door Fairmont for my Brother. We needed to hunt around wreckers for the longer driveshaft. Have always been mindful of the difference in future builds.

The other thing that owners of both would notice is the lack of legroom in the back of the coupe. From the front seat mounts forward is identical to the 4-door.

You really need to do your research. When you go and put the drivetrain from the coupe into the panelvan, you will notice the driveshaft is too short. Why? The panelvan has the same wheelbase as the wagon. For your info:

Coupe, Sedan wheelbase: 111 inches

Ute, Panelvan, Wagon, Fairlane: 116 inches.

Go check it out.

To quote myself... driveline from a XB 2 door Falcon 500 2V 351C and fitted it to a XA 4-door Fairmont

burnout-01.jpg

Panelvan_large-04.jpg

To quote you also.

Both builds required obtaining a longer tailshaft. Your point? I put an XA dash in an XC too... XB tail lights on a XA... or is that not possible either?

Both builds required obtaining a longer tailshaft. Your point? I put an XA dash in an XC too... XB tail lights on a XA... or is that not possible either?

My point? My point is, as said before. The sedan and coupe have the same wheelbase, fullstop. You wrote and as a result misinformed, that the sedan had a longer wheelbase. I just want to make the facts clear so other's have the correct information. Anyone else want to google it and confirm it?

My point? My point is, as said before. The sedan and coupe have the same wheelbase, fullstop. You wrote and as a result misinformed, that the sedan had a longer wheelbase. I just want to make the facts clear so other's have the correct information. Anyone else want to google it and confirm it?

we're getting off topic here. i understand about the differences with the cars, utes and so forth, but the REAL discussion is whether or not a r/c version of the interceptor should be made and which company would produce the better shell. we can be here all day discussing the actual cars, but that wasn't the point for this post. it's great to hear about all the other items pertaining to the falcon and the variants, but this post was mainly to see how many people would be interested in having one made in r/c form, not to test each other car knowledge.

we're getting off topic here. i understand about the differences with the cars, utes and so forth, but the REAL discussion is whether or not a r/c version of the interceptor should be made and which company would produce the better shell. we can be here all day discussing the actual cars, but that wasn't the point for this post. it's great to hear about all the other items pertaining to the falcon and the variants, but this post was mainly to see how many people would be interested in having one made in r/c form, not to test each other car knowledge.

Yeah fair enough. Just cheeses me off when people post tripe. On the topic of rc bodies of the MM Interceptor, I think a lexan body made from sections, for better detail than 1 piece, like Parma does is a good option. Otherwise a full hardbody for absolute realism would be the ultimate way to go.

Yeah fair enough. Just cheeses me off when people post tripe. On the topic of rc bodies of the MM Interceptor, I think a lexan body made from sections, for better detail than 1 piece, like Parma does is a good option. Otherwise a full hardbody for absolute realism would be the ultimate way to go.

totally understandable. as for the hardbody option, if they made one, what would you think the price would be? from all the plastic bodies for sale by tamiya, it would be pretty expensive. as for the lexan bodies, most that are made, especially tamiya, uses multiple piece molds to get very good if not excellent details in the bodies. i really wouldn't see a problem getting a pretty accurate bodyshell of the interceptor with lexan, but that also depends on the company that makes it.

I just wrote the following email to Luis Herrera (HPI)

Dear Mr. Herrera, in addition to the email of George Burgess I want to tell you that I (and many other people here in Germany) have also great interest in a Interceptor V8 body of high detail and quality as the HPI shells are. In 2012 the 4th movie of "Mad Max Fury Road" will be finished. I think in 2011/2012 will be a perfect date to release such a body shell, because there will be again a Mad Max-Mania. So you have time to create and produce the shell and clarify copyrights and such things.... I hope you'll realize our dream..... Kind regards

I hope you guys all do the same, so that on monday Mr. Herrera is busy at work reading our emails till lunch time <_<

thanks mike for including that in the forum. i really hope we as collectors can get this body made. i think a lot of people whould like to own one regardless if it's made of lexan, styrene or any other material. i just want a detailed one so i can have for display and another one for a runner. it would be cool to see r/c interceptors at the local tracks running around painted in different colors.

I got this letter today from Mr. Herrera:

Michael,

Thank you for contacting HPI Racing and Hot Bodies customer service. I am glad to see this much interest in this body. There are many factors into producing something like this but I am sure it could be possible. I will keep you all informed. Thank you again for the interest in HPI Racing.

Thanks,

Luis Herrera | Customer Service

Has anyone sent him also an email in the meantime?