TWINSET

G Made Balrog - Now The R1

The motor can is 50mm long

I've used the rearmost hole on the skidplate, whereas the manual suggests using the front ones - I assume that's to keep the transmission central.

As yet, I've not had to modify anything beyond using the wrong mounting holes ;)

Guys. For a long time, my interest with monster truck dwindled down because there are no new electric MTs around to spark my love for it. All my attention went into flying helis and most of my budget went there.

Then, you guys started posting stuff like this. I am beginning to look back and this one is just in time for SUMMER!

TWINSET. Thank you for posting your build thread with nice pics! Please continue. ;)

BTMR...I can see that you will be joining in the build also anytime soon? :D

are the gears in the transmission metal or plastic. I'd assume they are metal but I'm so beyond curious.

Then, you guys started posting stuff like this. I am beginning to look back and this one is just in time for SUMMER!

TWINSET. Thank you for posting your build thread with nice pics! Please continue. ;)

BTMR...I can see that you will be joining in the build also anytime soon? ;)

It's a wonderful time to be back in the MT world ! Especially with all the new technology ! I will have to leave the building to TWINSET for this. Instead of the build I may try to scrounge some funds and sneak another past the wife (crossing fingers) :D.

It's an EZRun crawler, comes with ESC; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...8620&id=169

The motor is very long though, with the transmission in the 'stock' position the motor won't fit.

I've moved the transmission back a few mm and it's just right, although the driveshafts aren't symmetrical any more (front one's longer due to tranny moving back)

I just bought the exact same motor/esc combo for my CR-01 build (Toyota Landcruiser). I had heard good things about it and the price was right. Let me know how the programming goes once you get to that stage. And keep the build pics coming!

Mark

I just bought the exact same motor/esc combo for my CR-01 build (Toyota Landcruiser). I had heard good things about it and the price was right. Let me know how the programming goes once you get to that stage. And keep the build pics coming!

Mark

Should be putting some juice thru it tonight if all goes to plan

So far the only part of the build that didn't go to plan is the motor fitment - because the transmission's now a lot further back, the rear right (viewed from rear) top link rubs the driveshaft, although that may only be because the shocks aren't on yet and it's all resting low.

It's only a passing rub, as opposed to a full on clash, but may not even matter once the truck's at 'ride height'

This pic probably shows best;

The small hole to the right of the transmission is the one I'm now using, so transmission's gone back maybe 10mm?

Manual and blurb all say 540 motor, guess I shoulda read the words ;)

cage5.jpg

hopefully it will be ok.

they must have included the extra set of mounting holes for a reason?and tested it to make sure there are no probs ,surely?

hopefully it will be ok.

they must have included the extra set of mounting holes for a reason?and tested it to make sure there are no probs ,surely?

Yes, turns out the guy I speak to uses an EZRun system in his ;)

are the gears in the transmission metal or plastic. I'd assume they are metal but I'm so beyond curious.

They're a plastic, not sure what though

Just got a quick vid from June;

sweet!!! oh and I'm totally "not" refreshing the page here while I'm at work =P :)

uh oh. That vid just made me want to own one very badly. Argh, just bought some heli stuff a few days ago.

Is it me. But, I don't even see any kind of torque twist in that video.

Any more uodates Twinset?

Is it me. But, I don't even see any kind of torque twist in that video.

You don't get so much torque twist with droop shocks, as the torque has to lift the chassis and compress the spring, so it's fighting gravity all the way 'up'

With compression shocks, torque twist has gravity on it's side

The internals of a droop shock

There's also a smaller 'top out' spring that sits above the piston, allows for about 10mm of compression

build030.jpg

Servo horn NOT included in kit - this one came from Wheelspin Models

build031.jpg

The spaghetti :)

Battery pack is a bodge up, I can't find my mini-sticks

build032.jpg

build033.jpg

build034.jpg

run time cant be far away twinset :)

Had a little blat round the yard tonight, that EZRun is too slow for it to be a racer, so you'll have to wait for BTMR to build a fast one :)

Scratched a shock too :)

Had a little blat round the yard tonight, that EZRun is too slow for it to be a racer, so you'll have to wait for BTMR to build a fast one :)

Scratched a shock too :)

after recent showroom sales im 3/4 of the way there.ill put my order in friday.really want the extra body panels and the cap will come in handy for night shifts at work :) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mark

Mark

The programming is dead easy - I found it worked best using a 4 cell battery pack to power the programmer (there's 2 sockets on top edge, one for battery pack and one for ESC)

One button cycles through the mode (forward/reverse, brake settings etc) and the other is for the variable on each mode (brakes on/off, drag brake power etc)

Once you set it up, press 'OK' button to store settings - it really is that easy!

Here's the setting up procedure for the ESC

First off, power up the 'card' (the programmer's referred to as a card)

I used an old stylee RX 4 cell pack

build037.jpg

Battery in the left, ESC in the right

Once connected, it'll start up automatically, after about 2 seconds

You'll know when it's on - the LCD numbers light up

build038.jpg

All ready to go

build039.jpg

'Item' refers to the function (in blue)

Item 1 is running mode

Setting 1 is forward/brake

Setting 2 is forward/brake/reverse

Setting 3 is forward/reverse - no brake, so instant reverse

The 1 and 3 in display means this is set for forward/reverse (function/item 1, option/value 3)

The item and value are set with the two left buttons

The third button resets the ESC to defaults

The fourth (far right) button is the 'OK' button which applies the settings you make.

build040.jpg

Hey twin, did you try using it without the 4 pack of AA's? Should work fine as it does on my 60amp EZRUN :)

Yeah, it said that in the instructions, but I couldn't get it to fire up :rolleyes:

build034.jpg

Those packs look a lot like Tamiya's TLT-1 Delta packs.

Those packs look a lot like Tamiya's TLT-1 Delta packs.

They're actually custom saddle-packs I had made for my Axial/SWX

Probably the same size cell though

img169_08122008211907_5.jpg

TWINSET, is it the standard hex on the axles (12mm I think) ? I haven't had the chance to go through mine yet. Those 2.2's look a tad big, think some rc4wd 1.9's and rock crushers would be much better :blink: . Thoughts ?

TWINSET, is it the standard hex on the axles (12mm I think) ? I haven't had the chance to go through mine yet. Those 2.2's look a tad big, think some rc4wd 1.9's and rock crushers would be much better :D . Thoughts ?

Yup, 12mm alu hexes

It looks pretty good in the flesh on 2.2s, don't forget the Bighorns are a pretty huge tyre.