Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

Have you had your fill?

Out of all the Tamiya Cars and trucks, have you got all the ones you want? For me I am almost at the end of my rope. This month I have been able to get a Countach and Porsche GT2. I can only think of a few other cars I still want. One would be a mint or new built Porsche 959. Another is a wild willy 2. last would be to make a 934 out of the leftover parts I will have from my 935 restoration. What vehicles do you guys really want to get?

There is another part of this question, what are you all going to do when you have all the cars you want?

You finally got there, a NIB, new Built and runner of each model you ever wanted, hopped up and tricked out to the full. Then what?

No more need for ebay, no more need for the club, just an awful lot of spare time and cash.

Chris

LOL Chris , very good .[:D]

I agree though , I want the first 100 and was going ebay crazy but realized exactly what you just said, plus once in a lifetime bargains always seem to come up again [:)]

Alan

I still have lots to get! I'd like:

F.A.V

Lunchbox

Williams FW11

Mclaren MP4/6

Jordan 191

F201

Rover mini cooper

I think thats all for now.

Just got to think of a way to raise some money!!

I am trying for the first 100 but I also have many of the newer kits so when I eventually finish collecting my first 100 I will probably start on the next 100 from Tamiya.

I originally planned on collection 3 of each kit but its going to take too long and cost way too much so I will stick with collecting 2 of each [;)]

Yes, its a big problem, I also thought about it, thats why I guess rich people are usually not happy [;)]

Funnily enough, I was thinkig this yesterday.

I am nearing this stage, I have the cars I wanted when I was younger plus one or two that I have bought for perhaps the sake of it. But now I am not sure what I want. I start looking at cars and think,ooh yeah I will get that, then I think do I really want this or is it just the thrill of the bidding? Its like a gambling fix.

I think the only other thing for me to do is to buy cars that are fixer uppers, do them up and sell them on, so that I keep my hand in the game so to speak.

My girlfriend has asked me what other cars I want ( I think for birthday present planning) but I really dont know. So perhaps this is a cry for help, what other cars are there? I prefer the older cars post hornet pre Madcap. The only One I can think of is the Clod, but I am wondering if I am ready for this beast, there seems to be so much to it.

If anyone would care to offer a suggestion or two, I am all ears.

Si.

Oh and Chris......There will always be a need for the club!!!!

I've come to realise I stopped buying on ebay for a while and most of my recent buys were oportunistic (it's hard to resist against a nice pile of nib kits reasonably priced).

All in all my "nostalgic" collection is almost complete, and my present concern is to get them all running with various issues :

- Should I build this NIB kit

- Converting a display model to a runner takes one full day

- ... and a lot of money (ESC, radio, specific battery packs)

- Where should I run them ?

When all the above mentioned are solved, I will certainly spare some time on an appropriate display solution and find a way to present "series" (Ferraris, Toyotas, Porsches, Buggies, etc...)

So no more kits for the time being, just trying to get them up to running shelf queen condition, and have them consistently displayed.

quote:
Originally posted by netsmithUK

...what are you all going to do when you have all the cars you want?

id="quote">id="quote">

Such a silly question.... build a TAMIYA NIB MUSEUM of course!!

[:D][:)][:D]

This really is the big duality of our particular angle on the R/C hobby, isn't it? Its akin to those who collect stamps - fervently search and buy, then wonder what you can actually DO with the stuff besides resell it and get something different. We should be thankful that there's some activity associated with Tamiya stuff, though; the fun in ownership, and in some cases building, restoring, or running.

There are much worse things we could be into, mates!

"Wish list" is:

NIB Bruiser

NIB 959

NIB Willy 1

-John

My wish list changes quite frequently. Sometimes it's street cars that normal people drive Eunos (Miata), VW Golf, Mini (old ones with chrome). Sometimes I switch over to Monster trucks (Clod, TXT). If I'm in a buggy mood, I'll want a Super Champ, Wild One or FAV.

Jeep Wrangler is always at the top however. Wild Willy 1 is usually up there too. I might just give up and get a WW2 instead. the XC Mu and Pajero are also always on my list.

I'd love to have a 3 speed, but I'm not willing to make that kind of investment.

I prefer 'Sunday driver' condition. New built is too fragile (just *1* scratch....) and have no desire for NIB.

Over the last few months, I have gotten a few cars that I've wanted like the Midnight Pumpkin, CR-V and a Brat. One of my favorite runners is a car that I was upset when I first won the auction. Chevy S-10 TA02. What a blast, even with the stock motor. Great in the snow.

I just read a relevant article to this topic in a Tamiya Magazine. It said "If you buy a NIB Tamiya Kit - What do you intend to do with it? If you keep it NIB till you die, then it's going to be worth £0.00! If you build it, then you instantly reduce the value."

Which leaves you with 2 options:

1) You buy NIB to sell for financial gain - i.e. An Investment

-OR-

2) You build the kit and run/enjoy it.

After all - why did Tamiya Produce all these RC Kits? To be built!

Certainly a thought provoking set of ideas....

My Wish List (If you can help - e-mail me! [:)] )

1) Marui Samurai 4WD (Red and White Buggy)

2) Tamiya Lunchbox Shell/Manual/Box or NIB (Kit 58063)

3) Tamiya Rothmans 'Blue' Porsche 956 RM MK 5 (Kit 58042)

4) Tamiya Jaguar XJR 12 Daytona Winner (Kit 58092)

5) Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin Bodyset (from Kit 58070)

Jim

I was kinda there last year, then I found another direction to go...

Also, I don't think I'll ever lose the buzz of building a brand new kit, so I will always hunt for a bargain, that's probably the most fun bit for me, finding a bargain, also I like that I've made so many friends from all over the world, just from toy cars!!

It's not about 'he (or she) with the most toys wins' it's just about having fun.

HI!

Simple an fullmoded SAND SCORCHER. With every hop up parts there can be. My fullmoded SS project is soon to be ready. I think I`m going to be in heaven when I`m going to test the car for the first time[^].

Jerry

Well if any of you old schoolers feel you have too much in the way of cash because you've exhausted and completed your collections i am sure I could find some use for your extra cash (haha). Needless to say I'm still searchin for my first vintage and hearing all you guys griping because you've reached the end of of your tamiya "rope", kinnda makes me a bit jealous. Spread the love to the few of us that don't have the luxiury of lookin at a mint 100 set every morning.............Hnadouts pls ..... Besides if you give me one of your first 100 then you'll have something to do while lookin for your next car to replace it.....

This has just been a special accouncement by a tamiya club member who is highly jealous of those who have.... and lamenting his state as one who has not...... (HAHA).[B)]

quote:Originally posted by netsmithUK

There is another part of this question, what are you all going to do when you have all the cars you want?

You finally got there, a NIB, new Built and runner of each model you ever wanted, hopped up and tricked out to the full. Then what?

No more need for ebay, no more need for the club, just an awful lot of spare time and cash.

Chris

id="quote">id="quote">

You might have an awfull lot of time, but that's to use your runners in! [:D]

And if you ever reach that stage, I don't think you will have 'an awfull lot of cash' left... At least that would be the case for me... [:I]

But I am not there yet anyway, so no worries! First I'll go and restore my Mountaineer (which is SUCh a heck lot of work!), and then I will wait for a new bug to bite me... [:)] [;)]

quote:Originally posted by Sjoerd

... and then I will wait for a new bug to bite me... [:)] [;)]

id="quote">id="quote">

Something tells me Sjoerd's gonna get addicted to LBCs (little British cars) before long ... ?? [:I]

I might be getting an Audley race tin or something, yes. But you all don't know about that as I never told anybody around here... [:o] But that's not the thing I was talking about. I'll give a hint:

Bug = Volkswagen [;)]

little bug = ...? [:D]

You told us you've gotten some BCGs before, Sjoerd. [|)]

Some of us here have decent microfleets too. [}:)]

Never actually got myself a BCG actually... I don't play with those toys.. [:P]

As said, I am getting myself a 'bug'... Do I really need to hint more?!?!?! [B)] [:o] [xx(] [8)] [V] [|)] [?]

No Theo...

I am getting a tiny Volkswagen bug... [;)] Remember 'metal beete mystery'? [:P]

(SO NO MONSTER BEETLE EITHER!!!)id="pink">id="size1">

Maybe Blitzer Beetle Chrome?

Or Monster Beetle?

Or Monster Beetle JR?

[:P][:D]