BRELs

Scania R620

Am on my FIRST TAMIYA BUILD a Scania Hiline got to be honest its causing me a lot of head scratching as so many different variations can be seen on you tube (have just realised by reading the destructions far ahead that now I have the MFC I wont have room to fit the dash and seats ) ^_^ not being one to know tooooo much about these models but spend my life dragging trucks around Europe have spent more than my fair share dragging STGO loads including including her majesty's finest armoured vehicles I dont want this to sound like your barking up the wrong tree weighting the tyres of your tractor unit would you not be better adding BALLAST to the front of your trailer if you look at our heavy haul trailers we have concrete blocks and every bit of tat we can find spare wheels dogs chains etc all at the front to counteract the pivitol effect caused by adding a heavy load over the rear axles again not trying to sound like a smart *** as trust me I think I will be on this forum many times on bended knees begging for help :blink:

Actually, weighting the tyres on these models are quite nessesary, especially when running the trucks ouside, and sometimes on loose surfaces )like you do in quarries etc)., Yes, a heavy load will put more traction onto the ground, but it´s not always, you´re hooked onto a trailer, and here is where the tyre weights are useful. :blink: Especially combined with more "traction-minded" tyres like the Carson Fulda Crossforce-ones.. Also, weighting the front tyres can be useful when hauling heavy loads, because, assuming a proper choice have been made concerning motor and electronics, you may experience so much power in the car, that it will literally lift the front wheels off the ground when appliying throttle, especially if the 5th wheel is attached to the chassis in the kit-stock position, which is too far to the rear on the Scania 6x4 for instance, so therefore, the rear suspension may twist too much, making the front wheels loose contact with the driving surface. :angry:

In my showroom, there are pics of a custom-built Globeliner, converted into a US style wrecker truck, and it had around than 2 kgs of weight on the front axle, simply to make it possible to "rescue" a full truck-trailerset without loosing contact upfront on the wrecker.. I also applied more leafs to the front springs for them to accept the heavier load, without collapsing..

The haviest load I have had on my cream-white Scania 6x4 with trailer sofar was my son, @ 40+ kgs, and nothing broke. :lol:

Cheers..

Michael

the weighted wheels run well and they will just do me fine over loose ground I also cleaned out the grease from the diffs and filled them with modeling clay (plastercine) to make the a limited slip diffs and they run well too, helping the traction over loose ground and they turn just enough on carpet to stop them being a pain in the butt to steer the truck