Sign in to follow this  
bakaguyjean

Tamiya Shimbashi Blog

This is the blog for the manager of the Tamiya Shimbashi shop,of course its all in Japanese but it worth a click every once is a while.

This is the most recent intereing thing he posted.

He took a trip to the Tamiya factory in the PI.

http://www.tamiya-plamodelfactory.co.jp/blog/?p=10044

Some fun photos that answeared alot of questions I had about Tamiya.

Enjoy

Wow, this is great! Thank you for posting this link. I have been searching a long time for pictures from a Tamiya factory, very interresting photos. Answered a lot of questions.

Those pictures are mind blowing! Tamiya factory is huge! Makes you think how much work goes into all the different kits, artwork, prebuilds, etc. Amazing!

Just wish the pix could be blown up to larger size.

Love the Mini Cooper mold!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Finally the elusive XB builders have been revealed! :D

I wonder how many bodies they prep per day.

Very intresting pics-indeed.Thx for sharing them:-)

I was wondering why the company is named"plamodelfactory" instead of "playmodelfactory"? Anybody knows?

Very intresting pics-indeed.Thx for sharing them:-)

I was wondering why the company is named"plamodelfactory" instead of "playmodelfactory"? Anybody knows?

Perhaps it's the short word for plasticmodelfactory?

Perhaps it's the short word for plasticmodelfactory?

Correct!

This shortened and combined use of English words is common in Japanese.

i certainly don't want to be the one who is masking the lexan bodies preping for the paint (Lexus SC430 forgot what it is called). But thanks for sharing very interesting pictures indeed very rare do you see picture like this released to public.

Yes thanks for this link - Amazing to see the amount of hand work that is done in a factory setting!

How very interesting!

I noticed recently that all M-05 kits are manufactured in the Philippines. Given that they are saving in manufacturing costs, I find it a bit stingy that they do not include basic metal-shielded bearings with the standard M-05 kit. However similarly priced Tamtech-Gear kits like the 935 and GTO do come ballraced.

That's been a long time known aspect of many of Tamiya's kits -> the absence of ball bearings. Many claim it's to keep costs down but I think that's baloney. I think the real reason is because they are able to nickle and dime the customer into buying their overpriced bearing "kits" separately.

How very interesting!

I noticed recently that all M-05 kits are manufactured in the Philippines. Given that they are saving in manufacturing costs, I find it a bit stingy that they do not include basic metal-shielded bearings with the standard M-05 kit. However similarly priced Tamtech-Gear kits like the 935 and GTO do come ballraced.

The Tamtech-gear kits are about twice the price as the M05. You can find them cheap now because they are not that popular but the list price is much higher.

That's been a long time known aspect of many of Tamiya's kits -> the absence of ball bearings. Many claim it's to keep costs down but I think that's baloney. I think the real reason is because they are able to nickle and dime the customer into buying their overpriced bearing "kits" separately.

Tamiya bearings are high quality Japanese,not made by a communist country. If you price Chinese kits they are also cheaper than Tamiya kits. Just look at Losi or Traxxas kits,you get a whole lot more for your money.They are just poorly styled.Except for the Slash. Tamiya makeing kits in PI makes the price cheaper to battle the Chinese kits. They just havent bothered battleing China over bearings.

Imagine being the guy who's job it is to stand and build dampers all day - soul destroying! It's bad enough having to build 4!

Imagine being the guy who's job it is to stand and build dampers all day - soul destroying! It's bad enough having to build 4!

I second that :)

Amazing pictures and i'm suprised at the shear size of the factory!

Tamiya bearings are high quality Japanese,not made by a communist country. If you price Chinese kits they are also cheaper than Tamiya kits.

The supposedly "Made in Japan" Tamiya metal shield bearings are not high quality, they're standard grade that's why the M05 bearing kit is only $16 for 14 pieces. High grade are ABEC5/7 and ceramics and sell for much higher prices.