tamiya_mike

Nice Bruiser, But There Is A Problem...

Hey guys. I was hoping somebody out there could help me. I picked up a really nice Bruiser (heck, nearly new if not for rollover scratches on body!) Anyhow, I started taking it apart to clean her up, and in taking off the front wheels, it feels like the hub shafts are WAY too loose...there is too much play which causes them to pop out of their little socket inside. It pops back in fine, but comes disengaged again, causing the front wheels not to turn when they should. To better understand the issue...stand at your Bruiser with it's right side facing you, so you see the passenger side of the truck. Grab the whole front wheel/tire and pull towards you. It should not move, but mine does. It moves out, towards me, about 1/2 inh or more, causing the disengagement. It does this on both sides, WITHOUT loosening the wheel nuts at all.

How do I fix this? What is the problem? MY guess is that it was not pt together correctly...but I have not taken it all apart yet because I wanted to ask the experts. Can any of you help me? Is this normal? I want to run!!!

First thing worth checking would be that the 1150 bearing is fitted between the shaft and the knuckle

post-1185-1263803481_thumb.jpg

Manual; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/manual.asp?id=48

Front axle's page 5

+1, there's a good chance the bushing is worn out (the stock part is a brass bushing, not a bearing.) The front steering on these things was never really tight to start with.

Since you're rebuilding it anyways I would replace all the bushings with bearings on the chassis. If you really want an adventure you could also replace the transmission bushings but that's a little more involved.

Looking at the diagram provided by Twinset, (did you say thank you to Twinset??? :P ) The 4 screws that secure the steering Arm and King Ping Plate with the hub are not loose. Than is either the Hub washer has moved or the metal bearing worn out, as mentioned already. Once you start taking apart the assembly, you will likely spot the problem area that is causing the excess play. It could be the connector is worn or some how modified. You won't know of sure until you take it apart. Go ahead take it apart, I dare you.... B)