rcjunkie3000

The Kyosho Optima Tire Thread Q&a

Just thought I'd start a general Kyosho Optima tire and wheel Q&A thread since all the threads were for a specific model. All general tires and wheels questions here.

I know the rarest and expensive Optima Tires are the Original Optima Tires (OT-30) and then second the Turbo Optima Tires (OT-66).

My questions are for the Turbo Optima Mid Special regarding the part numbers. I know the kit came with two sets of wheels. The fronts were narrow and the rears were the standard size (now wide). Also they were yellow wheels. (Personally, I like white, chrome or the Pargu wheels but I like to stay true to the original box art)

1. Did both complete sets of wheels contain identical sets of tires or were they different? I know one set had a different tread pattern, like square knobs.

2. If both sets of tires were different, what are the part numbers for the front and rears of the first set? The front and rears of the second set?

Thanks in advance!

Great ! I think that the first step is to make a list with the codes.

Kyosho Optima : OT-30 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Javelin : OT-30 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Turbo Optima : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Optima Pro : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Salute : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Optima Mid : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kysoho Turbo Optima Mid SE : OT-66 (front & Rear)

Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid special : W-5034 (Rear) & W-5031 (Front)

Kyosho Optima Mid Custom : OT-66 (Rear) W-5033 (Front)

Kysho Optima Mid custom Special : OT-66 (Rear) W-5033 (Front)

If I donĀ“t make a mistake, this one is the original listing for the tires of each kit.

Alecito you got the square block tyres thw wrong way round mate, W-5034 is FRONT and W-5031 is rear.

I also know the TOMS came with 2 identical sets of wheels (W5023 and W5024) but the tyres were different, i think they were W5034/5031 on one set and W-5075/? on the other set?.

Maybe someone who has one can answer this.

Thanks

Ok now I know there was one set of block tires for the TOMS, front W-5034 / rear W-5031. I have the original box, no manual, but there are no part numbers on the box so I want to confirm with someone who knows. Looking closely at the box, the second set of front tires have pin spikes like the OT-66 tires.

In that case if they are OT-66 rears they would have been W-5030 fronts.

I though they were either the OT-66 types or the W5076 type.

Very usefull thread. It would be great to include Optima series wheels in this theard. I will check some part codes when i find my pile of Optima mid manuals.

Optima Wheels is an easier one;-

Original Optima Wheels OT3

Javelin Wheels OT62

Salute/Turbo Optima/Optima Pro Wheels OT67

Optima Mid/ Turbo MID Wheels OT90

Turbo Optima MID SE Wheels OT113

Turbo Optima Mid Special (TOMS) W-5023 & W5024

Optima MID Custom MA17 (rears) OT-121 Fronts

There are also the W5021 & W5022 Option House Chrome wheels.

Im sure somebody will correct any mistakes i made.

Cheers

If I get a chance this weekend - I will have a look at my kit (TOMS as you guys are calling it!).

Cheers

Darryn

Hey Darryn, as far back as i can remember it was always called either TOMS or TOMsp LOL.

The wheels for the TOMS are indeed W5023 and W5024, i know as i have about a dozen packs of wide wheels and 60+ packs of narrow wheels ;-)

Thanks for the wheel list Tamiyoman. Handy to have both lists under one roof. I checked my Optima manuals and all matched perfectly. I btw also found my Kyosho catalogs: first catalog (1985?) and 1987. I could scan those if it would be any help for someone. Does anyone know are other catalogs scans available anywhere?

And what a great collection you have there Darryn! I have browsed through the kits on your website quite a few times : )

-Lauri

Hi, someone else recently put some scans of Old Kyosho Manuals on TC recently, you might wish to browse through the Kyosho forum.

Great post..

Maybe the question I have was answered before (for sure), but can someone tell me where can I find a good method to paint the letters of the tires.

I tried many ways, but IĀ“m not 100% satisfied.

I know this post is about tires, but... this is a tire issue.. :)

thanks.

Hi, someone else recently put some scans of Old Kyosho Manuals on TC recently, you might wish to browse through the Kyosho forum.

Yep that would be me I suppose ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=286293

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54186

...but I really need to get them onto Retromodelisme. I have uploaded them to Mid's FTP server at the site but need to inform the guy to add them to the site's web pages. Which reminds me, so I'll go and do that now.

EDIT: I just worked out how to upload them and put them onto that site myself LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Great post..

Maybe the question I have was answered before (for sure), but can someone tell me where can I find a good method to paint the letters of the tires.

I know this post is about tires, but... this is a tire issue.. :D

thanks.

Thanks, I updated the first post to include wheels as well and anything wheel and tire related. Unfortunately, I could not change the title and add the word "wheels". As for painting the lettering on the tires, I would like to know that too. I have standard white Fastkolor paint but I am not sure if it will work properly. The white tire lettering completes the build. I read somewhere what people have used and in fact I think I may have asked the question somewhere. I am going to have to look, it might be in the box art paint thread.

Great post..

I know this post is about tires, but... this is a tire issue.. :D

thanks.

A friend in Australia swears by the White color Sharpie brand Poster Paint Pen with the Extra Fine Point ( tip ) for doing tyre lettering with. I got mine on Ebay but haven't used it yet.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

• Thanks 1

Just search for tyre pen on ebay and yu wil find them, the one i use also has fine point and comes out looking like tipp-ex and looks great!.

Cheers

it's true, I'm the "someone in Spain " reproducing it, so you can believe me, :) my name is Jose R.

I was just another anonymous kyosho collector ....until a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

it's true, I'm the "someone in Spain " reproducing it, so you can believe me, :) my name is Jose R.

Excellent work :)

Truly awe-inspiring. I love the picture of the Optima sitting on a mountain of tires! If you aren't already on the other site, there is more activity over there on the Kyosho section than here.

Going through some old tyres I've managed to pick up, and I've come across some Kyosho "Bridgestone" tyres amongst them, I'm hoping you guys can help me identify them, photo's and descriptions below:

First up is what appears to be a front tyre, Bridgestone Sand Super 265/65/20-H, The tread pattern is stepped up square lugs

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

Next up is a wider tyre, Bridgestone Sand Super 340/30/20-H, The tread pattern is square lugs with half a diamond at the edge every third row

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

Third and finally (For now) also a wider tyre, Bridgestone Sand Super 340/30/20-M, I'm pretty sure this is from an Optima Mid

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

It appears I may well have full sets of all of these tyres (still cleaning and sorting) If anything else turns up I'll also post here

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

Next up is a wider tyre, Bridgestone Sand Super 340/30/20-H, The tread pattern is square lugs with half a diamond at the edge every third row

Kyosho W-5032, used as std fit rear tyres on Turbo Ultima and option tyres for all other buggies.

The other 2 tyres I answered on your other thread.

Cheers

Excellent work B)

thank you mtbkym01 , A good part of my free time of last 18 months is in that repro tires, as collector, I designed it as if they were for myself , as close to original as possible. I'm very proud if the result.

• Like 1