Live Steam Mad

Frog Antenna Orientation

Hi, I saw in the original Frog manual that in step 27 it shows the hoops on the ends of the Frog antennas to be with their axis along the length of the car (see picture below), whereas in step 21 it shows them in a different orientation. So I decided to try a little experiment to see if I could make the antennas to be in step 27.

I used a table top mini vice with no teeth on the jaws and gripped the loop in the jaws and then torqued the other end around with heavy duty pliers way beyond the needed angle since you have to overbend it to make it work. After several attempts and severe effort, it is perfectly possible to do, and you can tweak the rod straight again quite easily with your hands if you bend it along it's length.

Mad I know but just one of those little curiosities in the manual.

Also note that I am using re-release Frog antenna s and that they are all made in the same way i.e. they are not handed, there is no distunguishing between a left hand side and right hand side antenna, they are both the same, as manufactured.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1264095981_thumb.jpg

I am just doing the one on the right hand side now and I'm experiencing a lot more effort needed to do it. Looks like the soldering on the left hand one for the antenna wire as shown in the manual made the steel on that side a little weaker and able to be twisted more easily than this side.

Cheers,

ARG

Here are the 2 antennas done, so it shows it is possible. The steel retains it's 90 degree twist permanently. Yes I am nuts.

I wonder if this is the world's only Frog done like the picture in the manual re: the antennas LOL.

Wish my camera had less noise from it's chip...

Still need to find a brighter red to paint the Driver's helmet, still waiting for the X8 Enamel paint for the lights, needs decals on the right hand side, and needs a new receiver crystal.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

post-6936-1264120700_thumb.jpg

post-6936-1264120718_thumb.jpg

post-6936-1264120755_thumb.jpg

I think the vast majority of Frog owners simply crashed often enough that the antennas lined up correctly by chance. :D

• Like 1

I think the vast majority of Frog owners simply crashed often enough that the antennas lined up correctly by chance. :D

:o

I doubt it though, you would not believe the amount of torque that is needed on the antenna to bend the loop at the top by 90 degrees! It hurt my hands very much using heavy duty pliers and took about 10 to 15 extreme twists. I think it's hardened steel or spring steel or something. I don't remember mild steel being so strong.

Cheers,

Alistair G.