Incredible_Serious

Grasshopper2 Super G Manual Wanted

I have a question about the Super G. When I was a kid I bought one of these new when they first came out. There are two things of note.

1. Mine had a black MSC

2. Mine did not come with o-rings for the shocks and did not show them in the supplement instruction sheet

I'm very clear on these two facts. The manual even referred to the shocks as "racing shocks" and not CVA shocks. Furthermore, when I read the review in Radio Control Car Action, the author, Dick Brinton mentioned his kit did not come with o-rings either. Has anybody else ever come across this? My kit did feature the extra leaflet and had a neon pink banner diagonally across one bottom corner of the box. It was on this banner where the term "racing shocks" was used.

• Like 1

That's strange Saito. The sheet I posted does show the o-rings but neither one of my two G's came with them. I had to order two bags of them when I rebuilt the shocks.

As to the black MSC, that's a mystery. Having looked at all of the NIB kits here and on the interwebs, I haven't seen a single NIB example with a black one.

Hibe,

The only reason I can think of for two model numbers is the day glow wheels, Green in Japan and Yellow for the rest of distribution.

Looking at this Super G stuff is like ordering parts for my MkIV Jetta. It's an in between model year with different part numbers :/

• Like 1

Interesting. So there were two colors of wheels? Mine had day glow green wheels but the one in the RC Car Action review appeared to have yellow wheels. I used to think it was a trick of lighting in the photo or something. Now I know. Thanks!

Were there any changes in the paint scheme? Mine was just like a GH2 but I saw a hobby store ad (not the MRC/Tamiya ad that featured a totally custom painted model) that featured a somewhat altered decal/paint scheme. Although, the hobby shop itself (American Hobby Centers I believe) could have custom painted the example in the ad I suppose.

Saito,

The more ya know huh? ;)

Yeah, the Japanese G's had the green wheels with the green sash and Japanese lettering on the box. The rest of the world got the other G with the pink sash on the box and yellow wheels.

The paint scheme never changed for the Super G, so no additional decals or markings.

Thanks for the info! That buggy was always a bit of a mystery to me. Most people I talked to before first coming here in 2004 never heard of a Super G, just the GH2. I wish I still had it. When I moved out of my parent's house a couple of decades ago, they threw out my Super G, Mauri Land Cruiser chassis (but not the body thankfully) and an Aristrocraft Dolphin. :angry:

Yeah, the Japanese G's had the green wheels with the green sash and Japanese lettering on the box. The rest of the world got the other G with the pink sash on the box and yellow wheels.

Look at this : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/121815081159?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is a GH2 with green wheels. The green stickers are in french. It's like the "super G" but in "série limitée" version. May be some models has been shipped whith these green stickers outside Japan.

• Like 1

Philyon,

Thank you for posting that and that's the first one I've seen! Wow that's pretty cool.

This thread is a great history lesson for the Super G

There were two different Grasshopper II Super G kits, released approx one year apart.

http://tamiyabase.com/index.php?option=com_joodb&view=catalog&format=html&reset=false&ordering=&orderby=&Itemid=776&task=&search=the+super+g

-Lars

Cool! So one had day-glow yellow and the other had day-glow green wheels? I've only ever seen the day-glow green wheels sold on their own as parts, but I always assumed they were not the correct wheels for a Super "G" thinking only the yellow were used. Interesting...

Also it's been mentioned before but in the past folks have mentioned the 92--- series G was Japan only series and that's apparently not true given the green French G above. Heck I thought the green G's were Japan-centric also. Dang, I need to start documenting this stuff. The need to restore another GHII is getting stronger :)

Agreed Philyon, I've never seen a NIB G come up on Ebay. There are very few even here on Tamiyaclub.

that's the thing with these type of kits being that they were aimed at beginners and not many of them liked to keep them in a box let alone not thrash the poop out of them.

most of my first cars were busted beyond recognition and sadly ended up in the big rc shop in the sky

Love this thread, well done with all the investigation ;)

Thanks for the info! That buggy was always a bit of a mystery to me. Most people I talked to before first coming here in 2004 never heard of a Super G, just the GH2. I wish I still had it. When I moved out of my parent's house a couple of decades ago, they threw out my Super G, Mauri Land Cruiser chassis (but not the body thankfully) and an Aristrocraft Dolphin. :angry:

So many parents seem to have thrown out their kids' R/C cars when they left home. What is with that?

I mean, if the parents paid for these expensive toys, why throw away that value? And if the son or daughter paid for them, you can't throw away something that your kid paid for.

It's like parents go crazy when kids move out of home.

Agreed Philyon, I've never seen a NIB G come up on Ebay. There are very few even here on Tamiyaclub.

I've passed on about 3 NIB Super Gs in the past year.

(I did buy 50 cars in 2015 alone though :blink: So I do what I can!)

If someone is really keen on finding a NIB Super G, drop me a line in case I can source you one in the future.

• Like 1

Chicken, let me look around or PM me with what you need as I've got a bunch of spares

So - can anyone confirm whether or not wheels like these were standard issue on either GH2 Super-G variant?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-49023-Day-Glo-Green-Front-2WD-Buggy-Wheels-Wild-One-Fox-etc-/231757745051

Yes, either:

49022 2WD Front Wheel Set (Fluorescent Yellow)

49025 2WD Rear Wheel Set (Fluorescent Yellow)

or

49023 2WD Front Wheel Set (Fluorescent Green)

49026 2WD Rear Wheel Set (Fluorescent Green)

• Like 2

Yellow or green? Which were standard on the Super G?

Max

Both versions of the Super G (92018 and 49501) were available with fluo green and fluo yellow wheels. See earlier in this thread for details.

• Like 1