Sign in to follow this  
Guest Greg67

Tamiya Hilux Tons Of Questions!

Guest Greg67

Hi guys, new here.

I used to race R/C with friends in the early 90s, but haven't been in it for almost two decades. I just had a Tyco R/C. Nothing major.

I am interested in eventually having a Toyota Hi-lux, with the sound and lights.

I see there are kits, but I don't know what else I would need besides the truck kit and the sound and light kit that Tamiya makes.

I know I need a 4 channel receiver, but not sure what one. I want to be able to operate the lights and sound, and the 4wd on the truck.

The kit doesn't come with a motor, right?

Now, other than a motor all I would need is a servo?

I searched this info on my own, and can;t make out what I am supposed to get.

I also had a question about painting. The hilux in the picture has the purple and gray paint. Does tamiya sell these in a spray can? Could a beginner take on painting one of these, and have it come out ok? I need a primer, yeh? And just wash the plastic?

Can someone help me out, and post the actual product needed to get these two Tamiya kits up and running?

People have told me, get a primer. Well...what one specifically? I'm dumb as mud, so please, if possible can someone list the exact products I would need to save up for an buy?

I need help, can't figure this out for the life of me.

Thanks for the help!

Greg

hi greg, welcome to the mad house, im taking your looking at the high lift hilux, the mfu unit for sound and light is controlled by your transmitter and the electronic speed controller, you will need to order ballraces before you start your build, anything can be fitted to the model once its built.

you would be better with 4ch radio gear, there is loads of 4ch radio sets out there depends how much you want to spent really and these come with servo's although for your steering you would be better with a high torque one and metal gears.

the kits does come with a standard 540 motor which is all you will ever need.

ok painting is not too bad as long as you take your time, tamiya do the paint but im sure someone could advise on others, i used halfords car paint and primer.

do you have a budget for radio and bits your needing.

Guest Greg67

TM, thank you for such a fast response! Also for the welcome.

You wrote "will need to order ballraces". Is that a glue or a tool or something?

"Also, "4ch radio sets out there depends how much you want to spent really and these come with servo's although for your steering you would be better with a high torque one and metal gears." When I go to buy a receiver, it will come with the servos that match the recievers frequency? The servo is smart enough to recognize the computer parts function of the light and sounds kit? My concern was, if I buy the wrong radio and servo combo, that it might not be able to work all the functions. I assume that the servo will know that when I accelerate, it make the accelerate sound, and if I back up, it will make the reverse sound and turn on the reverse light? It's not lke I have to push buttons for all those individually, right?

Thank you again!

I'll look into halflords, but I was trying to go the easiest route, since it is my first project. I figured, I could always buy a new body in the future to paint. It sounds like the Tamiya Primer and paint will work out. In the truck kit, will it list what catalog number the paints are?

As far as budget goes, The truck kit, and sound and lights kit aside, I'd like to keep the receiver and servo under $200ish if possible, but I don;t want to buy junk either. Something that will last over time would be nice. Paint and painting supplies, whatever works best is fine. I've been saving up a while for this. I realize it's not a cheap hobby, so I'd rather get quality things, and do it right the first time. I'm not big on the latest and greatest upgrades, just want to start of with something good, and then if need be, upgrade here and there. My goal is to get the hi-lift Hi-lux to look like the one on the box as much as possible.

I'm hoping that makes sense. I'm having a hard time figuring all this stuff out. I spoke to a hobby shop owner, and he seemed annoyed, so I just left. People don;t seem very helpful locally, which is too bad. I appreciate the help once again!

Hi welcome mate :lol:

For light and sound you will need a "Kit 53957 MFC-02" Multi Function Unit.

It will have a picture on the box of a Ford F350 but will work on both vehicles.

It will also act as a speed controller they are pretty expensive there are 2 types of these kits 1 is for the Tractor trucks "Rigs" and the other is for the kind of vehicle you want to build they are pretty straight forward to install just follow the instructions and you should be okay and they are loads of fun to mess around with you can even hook up a MP3 player and play your own music through them.

Hope this helps :lol:.

Regards Stuart

When he said ballraces he meant you will want to buy and ballbearing kit to replace all the bushings as it will make all the moving parts last alot longer and it is way easier to do it when you build it the first time then to take apart and do it later.

Guest Greg67
When he said ballraces he meant you will want to buy and ballbearing kit to replace all the bushings as it will make all the moving parts last alot longer and it is way easier to do it when you build it the first time then to take apart and do it later.

Mikea96, do you have an example of this? I'm not very familiar with the lingo, or what is compatible. I sincerely apreciate the help!

Hi Swarm, thank you too for the nice welcome and help! It sounds like the multifunction kit, the MFC-02 is the way to go. On the Tamiya site, it said that it is for a f-350 too. It will have all the wires and stuff I need? I don;t need to get electrical tape, or some sort of extra connectors?

Thank you guys, you've helped me out more than months and months of my own research!

Guest Greg67

Mr. Freeze, thank you very much for the help ! I edited my listing so there was not an active link. Sorry about that. Those bal bearing are better than the stock ones then? Sounds good to me.

Now I just have to figure out which receiver and servo and specific Tamiya paint and primer to get, right?

I just don;t want to start building and then not have/know what I need. I'd rather start off right.

Hi Swarm, thank you too for the nice welcome and help! It sounds like the multifunction kit, the MFC-02 is the way to go. On the Tamiya site, it said that it is for a f-350 too. It will have all the wires and stuff I need? I don;t need to get electrical tape, or some sort of extra connectors?

Thank you guys, you've helped me out more than months and months of my own research!

No problem mate .

When I joined the forum the first question I had was about this car and the MFC-02 unit.

It will have everything you need to install the lights and sound it may get a bit confussing with all those wires and lights, the kit comes with numbered stickers for each light and for each wire .

If you buy the MFC-02 you wont need anything else you can leave out the speed controller the kit comes and use the MFC unit .

Take care .

Stuart.

Guest Greg67
No problem mate .

When I joined the forum the first question I had was about this car and the MFC-02 unit.

It will have everything you need to install the lights and sound it may get a bit confussing with all those wires and lights the kit comes with numbered stickers for each light and for each wire .

If you buy the MFC-02 you wont need anything else you can leave out the speed controller the kit comes and use the MFC unit .

Take care .

Stuart.

Appreciate it Stuart!

Also Greg for the handset this is the sort of thing you need to be looking for http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=...mp;ItemID=35091 You will get the reciever and all the servos included. this is the sort of thing i have in 3 or 4 of my 3speed trucks. Like other have said you might want to buy 1 metal geared servo just for the stearing.

Guest Greg67

Thank you again! How many servos do I need? I'm still confused on their purpose. It seems like it is an "operating sytem" of sorts? Again guys, thanks, this has been confusing to me for a long time!

Guest Greg67

Freeze, in the picture of the link you posted, those three black things are the servos. Would I put one in the truck, and then the other two could go in other R/C vehicles? Or is it like, the light and sound kit requires a servo, then the trucks motor requires a servo?

The R/C unit will come with 3 servo's you only need to use 2.

1 servo is for the steering and the other is for the gearbox as its a 3 speed box.

The MFC unit dosen't require a servo the other functions on the transmitter are used for the MFC unit that is why you need the 4 Channel .

Use the other servo (the spare) and the speed controller from the kit on another vehicle you only need 1 servo and a ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) for most standard cars/buggies you would just need the reciever from your Hilux I have my reciever in my Hilux on velcro and I swap it to another car when I want to use it in conjunction with the spare servo that I have put into that car.

As Freeze said below :lol:

You need 2 servos 1 for the stearing and one to change gears so that would take up 2 channels fron the 4 you have on the reciever. When you install the MFU, that will take up another channel so 3 used in total, MFU also has an electric speed control built in so no need to use the included esc. With the handset deal you get 3 servos 1 4channel reciever, handset and battery for handset. If you order the Hilux Kit, MFU,Bearings and Handset like the one in the link you should be good. Then all you need are batterys for running. Again hope this helps but when you get all the bits together it might all become clear.:lol:

As Swarm Said above :lol:

Guest Greg67

Stuart, Freeze, that puts the picture together for me. The only last questions I have, are, is the Tamiya Hilux it, that is 4wd, right? ANd for paint, will the instructions tell me what spray cans to order from Tamiya? Does it come with "mask-off" parts, to get the two colors on the body and not onto the windows? Guys, I am grateful for this, it's finally starting to make sense! :lol:

Guest Greg67

Swarm, that is your Hi-lux in your avatar? Beautiful truck!

If in the UK use Halfords paints as Tamiya paints for the hard body's are not for sale,You dont get masks but you can use masking tape from car spare shops.

If Tamiya paint are available in your area then the instrutions should say what paints to buy.

The body comes in 2 main parts and all the chrome bits and windows bolt on after the body is painted so no need to mask any of the shinny bits

Guest Greg67

Very very cool, thanks MrFreeze! I live in the US, and see if I can find some online after the kit arrives. I figured I would get a quick charger that can charge two batteries, and two good 7.2v batteries. I should get some rechargeables for the receiver too.

I'm pretty sure that the hilux kit is 4wd out of the box.

Many thanks guys!

:lol:

Swarm, that is your Hi-lux in your avatar? Beautiful truck!

Yeah thats my Hilux it has the MFC in it I did it in boxart using Tamiya paints tapping was a bit tricky I used standard masking tape (white stuff) it worked fine just take your time painting dont go to heavy light coats will work best with a good amount of drying time in between as you dont want the paint to bleed under the tapped of sections, more pictures of the Hilux are in my showroom.

Shodog has a painting tutorial on the forum somewhere it is very handy it has become apart of my RC bible.

Guest Greg67

Thank you very much for the tips! I'll go slow and easy on the painting. :lol: I'm heading over to your showroom now.

Guest Greg67

Swarm, it's 4wd out of the kit, yeh?

Do you have showroom pictures online?

The kit is 4wd if you click the link in the bottom of my post there are a few 3speed trucks in my showroom to take a look at.

Swarm, it's 4wd out of the kit, yeh?

Do you have showroom pictures online?

You can get to my showroom by clicking on the "tamiyaclub.com visit my showroom" icon below this thread click on that the Hilux is on page 2 in my showroom.

Yeah 4WD drive out of the box with 2 uni shafts/ joints front and rear .

LOL what Freeze said above :lol:

Some nice goodies in your showroom Mrfreeze :lol:

Swarm i like the pic in your showroom called 'Nice Summer Views' of the Hilux it looks cool :lol:

Its still bugs me that Tamiya didnt make the wheels a tad bigger.....

Cheers Swarm :lol: