Eric2.5

Expensive Expensive Expensive!

Ran my Blackfoot extreme for about a year now as totally stock with a Magnum A.M and it was fun. The motor is getting wore out(lack of maintenance haha) so I am wanting to put in a sport tuned motor and why not some oil shocks, bigger servo out front and a 2.4 GHZ radio while I'm at it?

I went on Tower last night and added up the price for this conversion...

*2.4 GHZ Futaba 2pl with no servos- $109.00

* Sport tuned 540- $25.00

And here is what sucks.... $29.00 for two sets of Aluminum oil hop-up shocks from Tamiya made for the BFX(stock replacement) for a total of $60.00

Grand total of $194.00 dollars.

Uggg The shocks are expensive fo rthe little stock replacement....I know they are hop-ups..but still.... they are the short ones.

Expensive I tell you....lol.

why not try RC mart.com for some of there alli shocks thay would work out cheaper, you might even be able to get some of the other parts cheaper from them to.

why not try RC mart.com for some of there alli shocks thay would work out cheaper, you might even be able to get some of the other parts cheaper from them to.

I'll have a look. I mean 29.00 each for two sets of the short aluminums is to much IMO. I don't care id they are Tamiya or not....my truck is a runner and I put whatever will fit on it lol. Who cares if we aren't racing or being competitive.

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to browse EBAY as well. Especially for those shocks....I'm not paying 60 dollars for two sets of the crappy little ones.

2.4ghz won't increase your speed or your fun. Get a used FM system from eBay for cheap. Futaba 3PM or 2PEKA can be found for ~$30-40 shipped. Even the brand new 2PL FM cost less than a 2.4ghz. And the recievers cost less and are cross-compatible with other Futaba FM systems. The 2PL 2.4GHZ receivers are not compatible with anything else...

2.4ghz won't increase your speed or your fun. Get a used FM system from eBay for cheap. Futaba 3PM or 2PEKA can be found for ~$30-40 shipped. Even the brand new 2PL FM cost less than a 2.4ghz. And the recievers cost less and are cross-compatible with other Futaba FM systems. The 2PL 2.4GHZ receivers are not compatible with anything else...

The reason for the 2pl and 2.4 is that I want to take advantage of the multiple model memory for a few models I have... The BFX and a Miss Vegas boat with a nitro motor on it. I wanted the 2.4 for the water duties mainly..being a nitro motor and all. Plus the 2.4 only needs 4 batteries VRS 12.....

The reason for the 2pl and 2.4 is that I want to take advantage of the multiple model memory for a few models I have... The BFX and a Miss Vegas boat with a nitro motor on it. I wanted the 2.4 for the water duties mainly..being a nitro motor and all. Plus the 2.4 only needs 4 batteries VRS 12.....

All the models I listed have multiple model memory...

You could sure buy a lot of batteries with the $80 savings + $10 per receiver...

Expensive I tell you....lol.

Yah know, I agree but when it's reviving your old r/c car from your childhood it's a lot more worth it versus say... my brother-in law saying dOOd! you could've bought a brand new one and go FAST FAST FAST! It's just not the same. Btw, I payed $60 for upgrading my shocks. ugh.

You can see mine here if you'd like. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=54429&hl=

I just got some adjustible aluminum Xspede shocks for $25 shipped on ebay. As for the radio you could get the Sanwa/Airtronics 2.4GHz MX Sport from Hobbypeople for a lot cheaper. It's a better radio than the 2PL too with more adjustments. Additional 3ch Rx are only $60 from Airtronics website. Let me know if you want to know where to get the shocks for cheap.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751548.asp

I think you are paying for the bling bling factor and will they improve over or at least noticable improvment in performance over the standard plastic oil filled shocks? Maybe a stiffer oil grade or springs would improve the handling, but it will not look as nice.

You have to look around from visiting your LHS, ebay, boot/garage sales to get the best deal, but it does require time, which is more value to you or saving say 50% for 1/2 or 1hr of your time. This is a hobby so time and money are not that important, right??? :blink:

As visited The Postman Brought Me Thread forum, a TC member just received 4 metal and adjustable shocks for $25 delivered!!

Hi 94eg

I have a futaba 2PL FM. What do you mean by cross-compatible FM receivers? It seems I am having a hard time looking for a R153F receiver or other futaba FM receiver. Are PCM or HRS futaba receivers can be used? Like R203HF or R113iP?

I just got some adjustible aluminum Xspede shocks for $25 shipped on ebay. As for the radio you could get the Sanwa/Airtronics 2.4GHz MX Sport from Hobbypeople for a lot cheaper. It's a better radio than the 2PL too with more adjustments. Additional 3ch Rx are only $60 from Airtronics website. Let me know if you want to know where to get the shocks for cheap.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751548.asp

I'm a Futaba freak....never used anything else.

Does that radio feel like a Futaba as in...feels quality and not like a Tactic piece of toy junk?... In the Tactic 2.4 I have, I can hear the springs in the steering wheel... The case makes noise too. All plastic ect ect. I hate it and it came with my Miss Vegas Duece racing Hydro boat. I don't trust it in there and figured the 2pl 2.4 would be a great upgrade as well as for my BFX which currently is running a 1989 Magnum JR. AM radio.

Yes..I'd like to know where you got those shocks.. All I have on there now is the stock BFX(short) friction shocks.

I'm a Futaba freak....never used anything else.

Does that radio feel like a Futaba as in...feels quality and not like a Tactic piece of toy junk?... In the Tactic 2.4 I have, I can hear the springs in the steering wheel... The case makes noise too. All plastic ect ect. I hate it and it came with my Miss Vegas Duece racing Hydro boat. I don't trust it in there and figured the 2pl 2.4 would be a great upgrade as well as for my BFX which currently is running a 1989 Magnum JR. AM radio.

Yes..I'd like to know where you got those shocks.. All I have on there now is the stock BFX(short) friction shocks.

I used to be a Futaba fanboy too, but after I got a Sanwa/Airtronics MX-3FG, the Futaba just seemed crude in comparison. The LCD on the 2PL is really subpar compared to the MX-3FG. I haven't handled the Sport so I don't know how it feels but if it's like the MX-3, it should have good ergonomics. I sent you a PM regarding the shocks. Can't post ebay links here since it's against the rules if it's not your own auction. The quality of the shocks seem very good. They come preassembled with damper oil in them. Here's a picture of the set with Tamiya springs and spring perches installed on them.

DSCF1851.jpg

Those shocks look great(thanks for the link) free shipping from HK and adjustable threaded bodies(nice). The price is right and I will put my order in tonight(I hope they have enough).

I'm pretty much sold on the Airtronics sport transmitter too. It is 3 channel, 2.4GHZ, EXPOS, dual rates and 10 model memory for no money at all really. Also Airtronics is an old, proven, quality brand. I can use this radio in my boat and BFX.....makes a lot of sense.

So with the Futaba and Tamiya shock set-up it would be 109 for the TX and 60 for the shock sets for a total of plus/minus 169 dollars.

For the MX sport Airtronics and the Xpeded shocks it's 79 for the TX and 25(shipped) for the shocks for a total of $104.00 give or take a few dollars.

I'll save 65 dollars with the second option and now I can take that savings and get a high torque servo and extra battery pack...

I think the choice is obvious;)

Thanks everybody!

My 2wd Twin Detonator does well running with the Tamiya CVA's. It has a 17t double and with all that I can throw at it it handles it with no problems or bottoming out. I don't think the ali ones are worth the extra cash.

check it out here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...=04022010061511

Cheers

Henk :rolleyes:

I had a look.

I like that camo paint and it's two wheel drive yet retains the front gearbox anyways? I like the BFX, TwinDet, Madbull chassis and my BFX has been nothing but fun as complete stock.

I want to start a Twin Detanator project soon since it's 4wd and is the same chassis of the BFX. I'll probably hopit up as much as possible though....It will be faster than my BFX which is just used for fun and dog chasing right now lol.