Sign in to follow this  
mr_lister999.

What makes Tamiya motors so expensive?

Just looked at the price of new Tamiya motors and was shocked how much dearer they are than equivalent ones. Over 74 pounds for their top modified!!!! I would expect a slightly higher price but why when competitors motors are about 50 pounds? I heard somewhere they have an fan inside, is this true? What other differences are there (apart from the nice box) Just got one new from Ebay for 45 pounds which i think is more realistic.

How much are they where you live? And what do they do others don't? Thanks.

Here is the motor in question...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=1774038644

Edited by - mr_lister999. on 06 Oct 2002 16:25:37

In one word - : TAMIYA.......

For some reason they seem to think that because it has "hop up option" on it - everyone will pay a fortune...this might have something to do with why you see very few of these motors used by racers.........

That being said - they are of the very highest quality - and in some cases have some very clever ideas in regards to cooling and heatsinks etc.

The "fan" you mention has been used on and off by a number of manufacturers for many years - basically it is just a plastic moulding (with vanes - which look like a jet engines intakes) - that is attached to the armature - which spins with the armature - blowing air out of the can........a bit useless really - as it only creates drag.....sure it may run a tiny bit cooler - however it is working harder in the first place to turn the extra weight of the vanes etc...

Cheers

Darryn

Visit my Web Page !!

webpagelink.JPG

Like a drill motor, i see. Must be why the black motor and technigold are in such demand because of the high prices they must have been. Thanks.

In the UK the reason other modified motors are all around the same price ( currently just under £55.00) is that the British Radio controlled Car Association sets the upper price limits for motors in their national racing rules. There is nothing to stop manufacturers selling their motors for more, but this would mean they were ineligible for racing, which is the main market for these motors. Tamiya motors are illegal for racing in these national championships. The competition amongst the top motor manufacturers is fierce, and so Tamiya does not get involved. Tamiya run their own championship, the Eurocup, where the rules mean you are restricted to Tamiya motors. This means they have a ready market for their motors, at a price which is supposedly nearer the value of the product, but can be whatever Tamiya want to charge as you will need one to race in their top classes. I'm sure that if there was no price limit on motors all motors would cost in the same price range as Tamiyas.

I was one of the guys who ran in the Eurocup this year, and was also a bit shocked to find out the retail price for tthem (the 11 turn Super motor). Now, I am al for supporting my local model shops, But sometimes I have to go elsewhere, and this was one of these occaisions.... Just look at the Hong Kong prices on these exact same motors ! I had 2 delivered direct to my door for far less than the retail price in the UK for 1 !!!

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

logo_fin.gif

While talking motor prices!!

Since there is only one importer of Trinity suff to South Afica - only this one business do all the distrubution of batts/motors to all the LHS's. Thus a complete monopoly = sky high prices. I had 4 P2K2's delivered to my door from Tower Hobbies for less than I would have payed for 2 P2K2's from my LHS!!!!!!!

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most