Meerkat

Egress Strip And Rebuid

That'll be the wife's then, just got to make sure I get all the Graffiti Stripper off it before it gets used again.

Good idea though and I will try it.

Steve

I agree use the wife's she will be thankfull when the Graffiti Stripper makes her teeth pearly white :(

Its the gift that keeps on giving :)

Stuart.

I agree use the wife's she will be thankfull when the Graffiti Stripper makes her teeth pearly white :)

Its the gift that keeps on giving :P

Stuart.

The shell is looking decidedly iffy at the moment, it's difficult getting the last little bits off, and it's now totally opaque.

Just wonder what the badword it's going to look like after the re-paint......

That stuff does clean teeth well though, also digests food for you too.

Steve

Ever wish you hadn't started something?

Not the rebuild, just the stripping of the shell.

The last not so little bits of paint are refusing to come off, so it looks like the shell is a gonna.

Also, I am missing the rear spoiler, I have got the plastics for it, all I need is the bit of bent wire.

Can anybody give me the dimensions as I'm sure I could make one?

Thanks,

Steve

might wanna try some persuading by scraping with a chinese takeaway pair of bamboo chopsticks

or there's really no harm using some fine sandpaper either assuming you'll be repainting it

only problem is, often the blue tint has dyed into the lexan so i don't like your chances of repainting it any lighter colour

if all else fails, there's always PS16 Metallic Blue ;)

ok thought i'd dig up the runner & give ye a hand with measurements

DSC_2050-800.jpg

i assume you've got the N-parts? and the alloy wing mounts & washers?

DSC_2051-800.jpg

if i were to repro that wire, i'd start with pianowire 2mm dia of length 160mm

make 2 bends into a square U-shape @ 60 - 38 - 60mm segments

it should fit comfortably within the channels of the N-part at all positions along its 60mm length

bend at 15mm mark to insert into the 2 alloy mounts on shocktower

car above has a slight bend 'up' behind the N-parts... i'm not sure if this came originally like that,

suspect not but it does support the lexan wing quite well

car above has a slight bend 'up' behind the N-parts... i'm not sure if this came originally like that,

suspect not but it does support the lexan wing quite well

Yes it does come with the bend up behind the plastic parts to support the wing...

ah ok! good to know, gee Tamiya really thinks of everything huh? ;)

ironically spent some time dusting & admiring the NewBuilt on the high shelf yesterday morning

but only read this thread later in the day... insufficiently psyched to go climbing up high again

to doublecheck the shape of the wire

ah ok! good to know, gee Tamiya really thinks of everything huh? :)

ironically spent some time dusting & admiring the NewBuilt on the high shelf yesterday morning

but only read this thread later in the day... insufficiently psyched to go climbing up high again

to doublecheck the shape of the wire

That just means your models are too high up. Perhaps you live in an area where space is at a premium... :o

Hey, pleased to see the momentum and enthusiasm is still there ;)

Regarding colour, the Dyna Storm (some might say a 2WD cousin) is PS16 (Metallic blue) and this is actually by far my favourite colour, so although I have suggested go original all the way with parts (preferably used as well, in a restoration job) I would go with the PS16, I have seen an Egress like this, it looks really great.

I don't know if someone else said, but yes, there should be a bend in that wire going upwards. Have you made the part yet?

Paul.

hey hey, lookie what fell out whilst rooting around in box of Avante bits today...

DSC01933s.jpg

dunno if its Egress only or same with others but yes it has the 'up' bend in it :(

That is an Egress stabiliser (Avante has a slightly different shape), but not sure what those other parts are doing in there, they don't belong, has the bag been opened?

P.

no idea, doesn't look it... think there was a 2nd bag with identical contents too,

so probably not molested - if i had opened any bag myself i wouldn't bother restapling it back

shared a box with what was Avante LWB CF chassis upgrade set... so maybe part of that?

OK, now it makes sense. That bag doesn't belong in any of the kits, including the Egress itself, although it contains Egress parts. It is part of the Avante - Egress conversion kit. Includes Carbon Fibre Chassis, etc etc.

Paul.

Shame to hear about the body, what has happened? Is it opaque, or warped, or just messy?

Paul.

Shame to hear about the body, what has happened? Is it opaque, or warped, or just messy?

Paul.

Opaque, bits broken off due to trying to get the paint off, (including the front location point), and bits of paint still left on.

Steve

Hmm, sounds like perhaps there was non standard paint on it. Have you any photos, it might be salvageable, but from what you said probably not.

Paul.

nah top pic looks like its PS16... there ain't many other metallic blue lexan paint in that shade

once its gone cloudy it means the lexan has been attacked by your solvent;

its all downhill from there - scrubbing will only fatique the plastic more

did same to an avante wing once :lol: