Meerkat

Egress Strip And Rebuid

At £29.99 I think I'll have a go at repairing the old one....

Just got the new diff bearings from Paul, so with a bit of luck and a following wind I'll be back on the job.

Plus, I also took my old Kyosho, (am I allowed to say that here?), Lazer ZX-R in to the local model shop as I needed something for it, ended up being drooled over, (the car, not me).

What is it with these old cars? He gave me a totally unrealistic estimate of the Egress and Lazer £700 and £300 respectively.

Said I shouldn't race them, well I'm not really "racing" them, but I will use them at the club.

Steve

I'm finding it difficult/expensive to get hold of a Dynatech motor, so would this be OK?

Steve

NO, to use a quote from someone far more knowledgable than I

They are cr@p

:D

... I'm usually far more constructive with replies but those motors don't deserve it

Hi,

I was about to say the same, but only because I have heard the same from the same source in a recent thread :-)

They are cheap tat, by all accounts. I would try to find a second hand Dynatech, you should manage for around $50-$80 for a useable one. If this is too much and you fancy another car, buy either a Terra Conqueror, or Daytona Thunder, both of which stock come with the 01R motor (if buying a used one, check the motor is included) failing that... Not sure, have you looked at a Technigold? Also vintage, but purists will say it is slightly earlier, for the Hotshot etc. Or Technipower would be good. Avantes (the slightly older brother/sister of the Egress) was sold with a Technigold in certain markets.

Paul.

If I do not go vintage, what would be a modern equivalent?

Steve

Go with a Tamiya Super Stock RZ. Lots of power and pleanty of fun with low maintenece. Maybe replace the bushings with ball bearings.

I run a TZ in my hopped up Vanquish and it's a blast. As long you have a good ESC with no current limiting, you'll be very pleased...

That is a good idea. In fact I run a few Super Stock Rs and they run through a normal Tamiya TEU101 BK and I have never had a problem.

Good Tamiya motor at a good price. @94eg, what type of bearings can you use to replace the bushings, I haven't thought of this!

Keep well,

Paul.

That is a good idea. In fact I run a few Super Stock Rs and they run through a normal Tamiya TEU101 BK and I have never had a problem.

Good Tamiya motor at a good price. @94eg, what type of bearings can you use to replace the bushings, I haven't thought of this!

Keep well,

Paul.

You can take the bearings out of an old motor if you want to be cheap. I'm not sure of the size of motor bearings.

BTW: A RZ or TZ motor can overheat the 101BK. Be sure to gear consrevitively at first. I run an RZ in a Hotshot w/ 101BK and smallest 13T pinion. It overheated only once in the dead of summer (over 115*f). The nice thing is they typically just turn off. Once the ESC cools, it should work as normal...

I use Rs, the winds are the same though, 23 turn single.

I will have a look at upgrading the bearings, doesn't sound cheap, sounds sensible!

P.

I feel really rotten about this. The one piece 1150s will not replace the particular set up in the Egress differentials.

The Avante uses a 3 piece 1150 thrust bearing, two thrust washers either side of a 8 ball race. The 1150 one piece is a direct replacement for this item. However, on the Egress, one of the washers is replaced by a slightly different thrust bearing (they call is a pressure disk) which has an octagonal cut out to accept the disk hub.

I feel really bad for delaying Steve's progress and not checking the manual thoroughly before suggesting the one piece replacement :lol:

It should still work in an Avante, as the Avante uses all three parts of the thrust bearing.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

You were quick, you've already answered!

Not to worry, practice makes perfect so they'll probably be better the second time round.

Steve

I feel really rotten about this. The one piece 1150s will not replace the particular set up in the Egress differentials.

The Avante uses a 3 piece 1150 thrust bearing, two thrust washers either side of a 8 ball race. The 1150 one piece is a direct replacement for this item. However, on the Egress, one of the washers is replaced by a slightly different thrust bearing (they call is a pressure disk) which has an octagonal cut out to accept the disk hub.

I feel really bad for delaying Steve's progress and not checking the manual thoroughly before suggesting the one piece replacement :lol:

It should still work in an Avante, as the Avante uses all three parts of the thrust bearing.

Paul.

I received a private email from Steve, so I decided to answer it here, so everyone could benefit from knowing that the Egress 3 piece bearings can't be replaced with the one piece like you can with the Avante.

So sorry again :-(

Paul.

Just had another good look at the oil seals in hte shocks and I'm not happy with them.

I have asked GoldStarStockists and this was their reply

If it's the top seals, there are two sizes:

Seals.jpg

50600 is usually slightly smaller and green, the red on 9805486 is used on the back end of some of the cars. Both codes should be orderable via the web if you think they'd fit.

Any idea which will fit?

Thanks,

Steve

No, they don't fit if you wanna put them inside the HiCap dampers. They are too small.

Max

Just had another good look at the oil seals in hte shocks and I'm not happy with them.

I have asked GoldStarStockists and this was their reply

If it's the top seals, there are two sizes:

Seals.jpg

50600 is usually slightly smaller and green, the red on 9805486 is used on the back end of some of the cars. Both codes should be orderable via the web if you think they'd fit.

Any idea which will fit?

Thanks,

Steve

<snip>

BTW: If the bladders inside the shocks are ruined, you can get away with using the front bladders from Tamiya's plastic CVA off-road dampers (from the DF02, DF03, or DB01). They are a thicker rubber, but the same diameter as the HI-Cap ones and seal up perfectly. The Hi-caps are the same inner diameter front & rear as well so you would need 4 front bladders from the CVAs...

<snip>

Thanks for the advice that these will do the job nicely, managed to find manuals for both the DF02 and DF03 on-line, (the internet is a wonderful thing sometimes), and found the right order number, (50600).

Have now ordered a bag form GoldStarStockists, (who didn't know they could be used), so thanks again, (glad now that I found this club).

Would have been totally stuck without them.

Steve

Thanks for the advice that these will do the job nicely, managed to find manuals for both the DF02 and DF03 on-line, (the internet is a wonderful thing sometimes), and found the right order number, (50600).

Have now ordered a bag form GoldStarStockists, (who didn't know they could be used), so thanks again, (glad now that I found this club).

Would have been totally stuck without them.

Steve

Yeah, where else would you get useless advice from some muppet about replacing differential bearings!

:)

Paul.

No, they don't fit if you wanna put them inside the HiCap dampers. They are too small.

Max

You are incorrect. One of the two does fit, but I cannot remember which ones. I'm pretty sure it's the red ones, but I'm not 100%. I know becuase I'm currently running them in my Vanquish with Hi-Caps. Tamiya USA sent me 4 of each in red green & black when I inquired about the original blue ones being discontinued. BTW: Even though the front & rear Hi-cap cylinders are different sizes on the outside, both have the same size internal bore.

My advice to you would be to buy 4 of each for both the green and red, or salvage one of another car to test fit. They should be cheap anyways.

You are incorrect. One of the two does fit, but I cannot remember which ones. I'm pretty sure it's the red ones, but I'm not 100%. I know becuase I'm currently running them in my Vanquish with Hi-Caps. Tamiya USA sent me 4 of each in red green & black when I inquired about the original blue ones being discontinued. BTW: Even though the front & rear Hi-cap cylinders are different sizes on the outside, both have the same size internal bore.

My advice to you would be to buy 4 of each for both the green and red, or salvage one of another car to test fit. They should be cheap anyways.

Well I've only ordered the green ones as those were the ones that you said would fit, being the front shock oil seals on the DF02 and DF03, so hopefully they are the ones.

Steve

Well I've only ordered the green ones as those were the ones that you said would fit, being the front shock oil seals on the DF02 and DF03, so hopefully they are the ones.

Steve

I just had a look in spare parts. I still have the black and green ones in there. That means it IS the red ones that fit...

Sorry man... <_<

I just had a look in spare parts. I still have the black and green ones in there. That means it IS the red ones that fit...

Sorry man... <_<

Saggin frassin rassin........

I'll see if he can change my order.

Steve